Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,254,451 times

Advertisements

Just saw the T-mobile thread and it made me realize that I had not even thought of that.

We have T-mobile, AT&T and verizon. We are planning a big family trip up in July next year. I know, generally the best way to navigate is with a map. We are planning to be going between Anchorage, Seward and Denali and all over in between. Cell phone may be spotty, will a GPS system work better? Or if we use a paper map, is there enough signage to make it easy to figure out where we are at any given time? If we wander off the main roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,178,399 times
Good news is there is only one road that connects anchorage to all the areas you want to go to. As long as you start your GPS with service you will be fine.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM

The road that goes to those places doesnt connect to any other roads? What if we wander

Old 10-26-2020, 12:57 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times
I'm sure what Haolejohn meant was that there is only one highway route between those places. There are local roads once you reach the outskirts of larger towns, but they often don't go far and wander around, don't have much signage, and they don't provide alternative ways to reach other destinations. If you rent cars the rental agreement may confine you to "paved hard surface" roads. Not too many of those and they don't extend into recreation destinations such as Denali or Wrangel St Elias. GPS coverage exists, but how good it is...pretty variable and specific to the location. Get off the phone...don't plan to rely on it. There's the paper DeLorme Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer that will show back roads and supposedly local GPS grids but get the most current edition. No notations about road or trail condition except how it is categorized on the map legends. I don't know how often its updated. Plan to buy the current copy of the Milepost before your trip. There may be notations about GPS in specific popular tourist areas.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-26-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 02:44 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,697,609 times
Get a copy of the Milepost. My wife's iPhone with AT&T service works fine for navigating near any of the paved highways and most towns in southcentral Alaska. Honestly though, there are so few real roads up here it's hard to get lost. You will lose cell coverage on most of the gravel highways like the Denali Hwy and the McCarthy Road but the phone should still get GPS coverage.

One thing that is different up here versus the lower 48, is that most people here refer to highways by name and not number. If you asked me if route 1 was the best way to go I'd look at you funny (I know because it has happened). Now if you asked if the Glenn Hwy was the best way to go (to say Glennallen), I'd say yes because you don't have much of a choice.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM

Great, thanks. We will definitely get the Milepost.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:41 AM

849 posts, read 2,926,223 times
Google Maps allows you to download offline maps for use in certain areas if the cell reception is nonexistent. Research your area before you go and download the maps ahead of time. Or, you can use a standalone GPS like the one in your car or a Garmin dash GPS with preloaded map software. I always carry a redundant paper map backup. The best I have found is the Delorme: https://www.amazon.com/Delorme-DeLor...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Old 10-27-2020, 08:19 AM

1,169 posts, read 755,167 times
From Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage area to Seward cell phone service for both Verizon and AT&T is operational, with LTE/4G service even, with a few blank spots here and there just as in any rural area. Once you get a decent distance into Denali, say a few miles past park HQ, there will be no cell service, but you aren't likely to be driving your own car that far anyhow.

Have no info on T-Mobile.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:54 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,628,357 times
Another recommendation for www.TheMilepost.com . In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

"What if we wander" As stated... We don't have a huge road system. And your rental contract will limit you paved roads anyway. You can get lost, I suposse, but it'll take effort.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:20 AM

Yeah I was looking at the map, not a lot of chance of getting lost. But I like to be prepared just in case. Thank you guys for the Milepost rec. We were going to do the whole RV thing but It seems like big business up there and there will be a million of them fighting for the same camping and road space. We have a large party so once we considered it, we scaled back and decided that 2 RVs and 2 rental cars was too much. So we switched it up and found an AirBNB in Wasilla right on Wasilla Lake and an AirBNB in Kenai right by the water. We are splitting our trip in half between the Anchorage area and Kenai Peninsula. We nixed Denali as there is just not enough time to enjoy everything. We will go again and do the Fairbanks area.

Any must see/must do kind of stuff? We are going to be there over 4th of July
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska