Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM

305 posts, read 682,921 times

Advertisements

Wondering if there's a specific method of maintaining baleen? Have a couple of pieces approx 12 feet long that, if they were wood, might benefit from a coat of oil or such to bring out the sheen and richness. Baleen seems to get drier and more brittle, so wonder if anyone knows about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Wondering if there's a specific method of maintaining baleen? Have a couple of pieces approx 12 feet long that, if they were wood, might benefit from a coat of oil or such to bring out the sheen and richness. Baleen seems to get drier and more brittle, so wonder if anyone knows about this?
Baleen takes a lot of work initially to clean it up and polish it. But after, nothing really needs to be done to maintain it. Hang it on the wall, stand it in the corner, whatever. It'll last apparently for pretty near forever.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,350 times
Baleen, is something we work with every day.. there are lots of tricks to use

putting that piece in the water will help in cleaning it all off.. I do not know what shape your piece is in.. if it has been sanded or not. Sanding is essential, using several grits.. you can achieve a super high shine on it, like a mirror.. Once it is all polished up.. you can soak it or rub it with mineral oil or baby oil.. this will put moisture back into the piece.. as it gets old and looses the moistrue it can crack or chip or peel.

We do the same with Ivory also, soaking the pieces in baby oil or mineral oil or using vaseline to prevent the moisture from drying out or evaporating.

you can draw (scrimshaw) using a needle or nail, some use white ink over their drawing and sand it out until just the fine white lines remain.

the best 'compound' to use for a super high mirror like finish is 'blue magic'

We purchase that from Shore-International dot com (http://www.shorinternational.com/PolishCompounds.htm - broken link) We have tried every compound they make. for Ivory & Baleen .. .. nothing can surpass Blue magic !!

for the 'hair' shampoo it just using your hands to get all of those hairs clean(er)

Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 21,599 times
I have a piece of baleen that got scratched during a move and I would like to restore it myself. How many different types of sandpaper grit do you go through to get it smooth enough? Is there a local source to buy Blue Magic?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Any pictures of what the "finished" baleen looks like? I'm intrigued.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
http://www.crazywolfstudio.com/baleen.jpg

Crazywolf Studio

Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 18,379 times
Default Cleaning baleen

I have a piece of baleen that is quite dusty from being in storage. It sounds like I can just use soap and water to clean it and then use baby oil on it?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 16,774 times
Default how to repair baleen?

I have a 10 foot long piece of baleen that was cracked by the airline when moving. Any suggestions for how to repair the crack? The crack is on the wide end... Thanks for any help. Epoxy didn't work.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM

206 posts, read 513,948 times
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw

Necro them posts !!!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine patch View Post
I have a 10 foot long piece of baleen that was cracked by the airline when moving. Any suggestions for how to repair the crack? The crack is on the wide end... Thanks for any help. Epoxy didn't work.
Superglue it together and hang it on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska