Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

I just made a fresh mango smoothie and I'm fixing to pour just a touch of blueberry vodka into it. Just thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I just made a fresh mango smoothie and I'm fixing to pour just a touch of blueberry vodka into it. Just thought I'd share.
I'm about to start a dance with Captain Morgan myself. My last day of work was yesterday and it's time to do some celebrating.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Damn, I haven't made out with Mr. Morgan in quite some time now. Give him a good long kiss for me, Satch

Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Damn, I haven't made out with Mr. Morgan in quite some time now. Give him a good long kiss for me, Satch
I'll even swallow. I couldn't resist. I love that stuff.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
It may not be funny but it is, however, the truth. Live here for a few months Xa'at, then you'll see the veracity of my statement.
I've lived down south. We have people who don't speak English up here too. Personally, I love hearing languages I don't understand/speak well. It's like a rainbow of voices. Reminds me that no matter how much of a smart-ass I am, I'm still pretty stupid.
House hunting in Alaska... All I can say is don't buy sight-unseen. You'll probably need to rent for the first couple of months unless you do what Highland Lady and her family are doing- coming up in advance and dealing with that stuff. When you're renting, being too picky will kill you. I'm not saying you should move into some mold-infested, smoke-smelling trash heap, but just keep an open mind and remember it's only for a short time.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Satch maybe you could rent an RV for a couple months?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I've lived down south. We have people who don't speak English up here too. Personally, I love hearing languages I don't understand/speak well. It's like a rainbow of voices. Reminds me that no matter how much of a smart-ass I am, I'm still pretty stupid.
House hunting in Alaska... All I can say is don't buy sight-unseen. You'll probably need to rent for the first couple of months unless you do what Highland Lady and her family are doing- coming up in advance and dealing with that stuff. When you're renting, being too picky will kill you. I'm not saying you should move into some mold-infested, smoke-smelling trash heap, but just keep an open mind and remember it's only for a short time.
We're coming in next weekend and plan on spending most of it hitting a list of houses that we've compiled. The wifey probably won't start her training for at least a few days so that will give us time to nose around. We have been in touch with a well-respected realtor in the area and we're going to put him to work.

And you are ohhh so right about not buying a home sight-unseen. Fortunately, my wife's employer is going to pay to put us up in a hotel for at least a month, possibly longer. This may work out perfectly because said employer is also paying to move all our belongings and vehicle but that may take at least 30+ days for everything to get here. So if we find a house and get things done relatively quickly, we may be able to just have our stuff delivered straight to the door of our new house. That may be asking for quite a bit but it's well within the realm of possibility.

Spending a month or so in a hotel with my 14 month old munchkin may be tough but if we don't have to end up moving twice in a few months, it will be well worth it. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Satch maybe you could rent an RV for a couple months?
Are you back on the wacky-tobaccy?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 PM

speaking of...

Are you going to be driving up? Feel free to stop by Eugene; I could drive down and buy you a drink or something, but not if you're driving.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Met...I think you must come to visit as soon as we are settled. You make what sounds to be the most delightful concoctions...the blueberry vodka, fresh mango smoothy has me salivating

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Classic Satch...
As Xa'at stated, and what sounds to me you are going to do...is definitely not purchase anything sight unseen. I had perused thousands of homes, quite literally, and would've been severely disappointed if I had gone with any of them without looking on them first. Photos and descriptions can be very misleading. We are working through Martin Snavely of Kevin Crozier's REMAX team...and he is a godsend. I have chatted with Marty here in this forum and sense he is quite an upstanding gent as well. The realtor's time is truly invaluable...and in Martin's case, he used to be in construction and that was a HUGE plus. We won't look on a home quite the same way.
We had a week to look for a home, and found one that suited most everything we were looking for (acreage, size, price, etc). It is outside of Wasilla...I would've preferred the Willow or Talkeetna area, but I am quite content with this one and we can always move later.

Best of luck to you and yon family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska