Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 09:03 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,107,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
That's happening a lot. And where they are available they are more expensive. I travel a fair amount for work contracts and I've been having to pay anywhere from $20-50 more a day than a year ago. Haven't encountered any of these crazy algorithm-driven thousand dollar price spikes that people keep reporting...yet.
I saw some of those. The car rental places in Anchorage have (or had?) "mystery cars" that you could rent but they were $300/day, which is a no for me. One of my friends brought me into the 21st century and told me to look on Turo. I did that and there were only two cars... both more than $200/day. Also a no for me.

The first time I flew down there for appointments with the surgeon in April, my rental was $45/day or something. With fees etc, ends up being $60/day or some such. The second time I flew down there, three weeks later, my rental was $85/day plus fees etc., totaling over $100/day. Ridiculous.

To tell you the truth I am pretty pleased with myself about the UHaul. I think that's going to become A Thing for me... will probably never rent a car from a rental agency again. UHaul pickups all the way!! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It has been a very long and frustrating road, but I finally have a plan and a path forward. I saw four surgeons who either would not attempt surgery because I'm too young or it didn't work out for other reasons.

I found out on Thursday that surgeon #5 is a go. Dr. Bryan Haughom at OPA is going to do an anterior replacement the first week of June. I did not want to do this in the summer but I'm going to have to, and I have to wait til June when my sister can come up to help me. It'll be outpatient and I will only have to stay in their outpatient facility one night. I'll probably fly down the night before for convenience, but so far the plan is much better than I expected. He said that the difficult part of the recovery should take about three weeks, he expects that I'll feel 100% in about six weeks, full recovery in 6-12 months.

I am pretty excited. So tired of being limited by this and I am really looking forward to being able to ski again next winter!!

Thank you for asking after me
Hooray, progress!

Offer still stands if you need anything during recovery

Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 PM

Thank you!! I really appreciate the offer - more than I can tell you.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:00 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,274,132 times
Riceme, that's great about the U-Haul.

Wishing you a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Getting close.....

Old 05-12-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Riceme, that's great about the U-Haul.

Wishing you a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.
Thank you

Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Getting close.....
Nervous is what I'm getting!! Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska