Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

I really like this place.
Southeast Alaska MLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Southeast Alaska MLS
Jesus, Barkley... Expensive enough for you?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
es

Jesus, Barkley... Expensive enough for you?
Actually it is very spendy compared to similar houses in Anchorage. But if I had the money it would be nice to have a house in Juneau & the 50kw generator is a big plus.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I attribute it to the period a couple of year ago when all you had to do was place a For Sale sign out and the house sold in hours. Why clean up if someone is going to buy it anyway? Now the situation has changed but the attitude has stayed the same. I personally would fix up and clean up my house to a greater extent than normal if I was selling. I know my wife would be thoroughly embarrassed to have pictures of a messy house on the internet.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Southeast Alaska MLS
Gads...I would hire a maid. 6k square feet on only .85 acres? Daft. Looks lovely though...havers...it is mind boggling.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:34 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
I guess we are just stunned that someone would post their home up for sale with it looking like a pig trough. Hey BarkingOwl, I saw that home and it is beautiful isn't it! Beside the fact that it is way way way out of our price range we are down to earth and I just couldn't see us in a home like that even if we did have that kind of money. We are looking for a cabin type home.. 2-3 bedrooms 1-2 baths, fireplace... cozy... The kiddo's are all gone so we only need an extra room for a guest. We gutted our home here and now it looks like a hunting cabin on the inside... I will miss this home, I will admit that.. At least until we get moved in up there

Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINZRX View Post
I look at Juneau real estate all the time. This site is a bit better than most agent-sponsored websites.

southeastalaskamls.com

My wife and I live in north Texas but are hoping to live in Juneau within the next 5 years. My mom was raised there and we have relatives there so we've been up several times and love the place.

We realize that real estate is not cheap in Juneau and that salaries don't seem to be correspondingly high. Right now we can both make more $$ than we could in Juneau so we're biding our time.

You might consider renting for 6 months to a year so you can really take your time looking for the right house/neighborhood.

Good luck.

Heinz
Heinz,

We thought about renting but we got a hold of a good buyers agent already and she is going to line up some homes for us to look at once we get there. I am working with the local bank there to move our accounts, get the pre-approval for a mortgage etc.. etc.. I think we have all our ducks in a row and by the time we get there it should be a matter of spending a couple of days looking at the homes she has scheduled, making the decision then moving..

I am more excited to ride snowmobile! I am a die hard snowmobile fanatic! Heck, I already talked to some local club members. I hope they can get the new Blackerby Ridge/Juneau Icefield Trail permitted. That would open up a pile of area to ride, ski, hike you name it!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Xa'at and all -
This is Crossfire600's wife.....Thank-you so much for your answers, you guys have been great! We will definitely check out the links. We are planning our trip up in January to look-see at houses, talk to employers, etc. Also going to check out some community activities we enjoy while there.

Then the plan is to move up a few months after that. We've got less than 1 year and counting down. I know when we step off the plane in January, we'll know if it "feels right." You might say January is a goofy time to make our trip, but I did 15 months on Adak in the Navy and I regret all the opportunity I didn't enjoy when I was there. Too young and immature at the time. If the snow isn't blowing sideways at 40 miles an hour, I'll call it a nice day.
Thanks again for everyones input!!!!
Dawn

Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
We went up twice this summer after looking at thousands (really...) of houses on the net. Thought we had it all figured out...yeah, right.

I know I'm a broken record here, but some wonderful people from this forum saved our hides by telling us "do not buy anything till you have your feet on the property." So glad I listened to them.

Having said that, I found the same thing with regards to conventional 'neatness.' Once I got my head around it, it was fine, but I still look (looking for a cabin 'to be moved.') and get a little giggle when I see some of the interior mess. I just sort of 'delete' that and look at the rest.

We went up the first time with this list...in order of preference, and wow were we wrong. I remember a picture/description of a house, cabin, and 3,000 sq ft workshop that must have been composed by an artist. When we found it, we had the picture in one hand and still could not recognize it as being the property.

We didn't warm to areas we 'thought' we would like, and fell in love with areas we hadn't given a second thought to. No specific reason, it just had to 'feel right for us.'

I guess what I'm trying to say is: although the entire state is beautiful...there will be areas that, for some unknown reason, float *your* boat. For us--we knew we wanted enough land and the right location over the house because while we can always fix up a house, the location is permanent.

Just go up and look at every thing, drive everywhere, and talk to everyone. We spent about 2 hours in the Sutton store drinking coffee and talking with some super nice people :-) Oh...if I'd been 10 years younger, I'd have had that Sutton place.

Just imagine the dishes gone and the laundry away :-)

Deb
Wow, That was great Deb... We plan on spending a week up there. I wonder if we should plan on two?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I agree with the above posters. 250K is rather cheap for Juneau. Just wait until you get up there to look at houses. Don't trust anything on the internet. Don't set your heart on anything you see on the internet. Even in renting ads, I can't tell you how misleading the pictures are and the shock factor once you visit the home/apartment, and that is for the people who bother to hide their stuff!
This entire topic does not give me a warm fuzzy about the integrity of the Juneau housing market..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska