Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't go ibto Wal*Mart at all. I'd rather pay a bit more for whatever it is I buy than go in there. It's a crappy place to shop.
Yes, the quality is atrocious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Here's why I hate Walmart, I'll admit I hate huge corporations. They just suck up land at a ridiculous rate, have you seen the massive parking lots for these places? And do you ever see them full? NO!!!! Then, they treat their employees like crap. These CEO's are sitting pretty on fat piles of cash & then pay their employees peanuts, PLUS they refuse to allow them to go union AND no benefits. They will schedule someone at almost full-time hours, but not quite enough so the person can't get benefits. It's gross.
If it weren't for huge corporations, the unemployment rate would be far higher.

Also, just what proof do you have that they treat their employees like crap? Places like Walmart pay their employees what they're worth. Unlike the unionized fossils such as GM and Ford, who are collapsing more and more every year because of those idiot unions. It is illegal for a place like Walmart to "keep" their employees from unionizing. It is the vote of the employees themselves that keeps them non-union, thank God. Unions are archaic dinosaurs that serve no purpose whatsoever in the contemporary workplace other than to suck millions of dollars in dues from their members and keep the costs of goods and services higher than they should be. All of the workplace regulations and safety issues that they fought for 50 years ago are now law. It's time for the labor union to fade into the twilight.

Karfar, please quit regurgitating what sounds to be talking points from one of those loony leftist websites or the DNC's own site. This populist rhetoric has no foundation in fact and has a deleterious effect on everyone and everything it touches.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
If it weren't for huge corporations, the unemployment rate would be far higher.

Also, just what proof do you have that they treat their employees like crap? Places like Walmart pay their employees what they're worth. Unlike the unionized fossils such as GM and Ford, who are collapsing more and more every year because of those idiot unions. It is illegal for a place like Walmart to "keep" their employees from unionizing. It is the vote of the employees themselves that keeps them non-union, thank God. Unions are archaic dinosaurs that serve no purpose whatsoever in the contemporary workplace other than to suck millions of dollars in dues from their members and keep the costs of goods and services higher than they should be. All of the workplace regulations and safety issues that they fought for 50 years ago are now law. It's time for the labor union to fade into the twilight.

Karfar, please quit regurgitating what sounds to be talking points from one of those loony leftist websites or the DNC's own site. This populist rhetoric has no foundation in fact and has a deleterious effect on everyone and everything it touches.
Why don't you quit attacking me on every point I make, this is the 2nd one today. You approve of huge corporations, you approve of destroying the environment...good for you, but I feel sorry for you. Keep you conservative attacks to yourself because I'm not interested.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Default here you go satch

Although I'm sure you'll refute any sources & accuse the articles of being "leftie", here's some food for thought......
Wake-Up Wal-Mart: The Real Wal-Mart Facts
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/bu...art.ready.html
frontline: is wal-mart good for america?: transforming: one, two, three, four ... we don't want your superstore | PBS
TomPaine.com - Wal-Mart's Benefits Squeeze

Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
OK, OK, play nice now!

I must agree with Satch on one key point. Unions, once born from legitimate anger and gross mistreatment of employees, now have ceased functioning in most cases. Instead of meaning more freedom for the employee, they are tying the hands of employees; you better not do anything that goes above and beyond your job description, because that voids the agreement with the Union!

Having recently been a part of such an agreement, I will never voluntarily be a part of a Union organization again. Overall, they reward lazy behavior and whiners in the workplace. Unions are a safeguard and proponent of mediocrity.

Wal-Mart; hey, I don't really like shopping there because of inferior quality. But I don't quite believe they are the evil monsters (or any big corporation) that some seem to think they are. However, I did watch a special on TV that seemed to present a rather well-balanced documentary and it did suggest some "sneaky" tactics for avoiding giving employees benefits, etc. However, usually I'm pro-big business because they drive our economy, overall. It's pretty much the goal of small business to become bigger, at least to a certain point...and MONEY is the key.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
I think it may be best to agree to disagree on this. I was employed by Walmart for a short time many years ago - whilst I was in school - and at first, it was just a mere Walmart, no SuperCenter or the like. It was a lovely place to work, everyone got on fine and there was a closeness. It wasn't long before a SuperCenter was built and we transferred over...and the closeness was gone. It became less of a family feel and more of that 'corporation' mentality.
But this was also in the early-mid 90's. I had insurance and such without a hitch...I was a single mother and whilst I didn't make a cash-haul every two weeks, I was able to provide for my son and I.
The convenience of the Supercenters is what is so appealing; the ability to purchase gardening gear then a few groceries all in one stop. I am more inclined to stop into mom and pop stores...but even then I have experienced price gouging on simple things - which I know they feel inclined to do to keep their shops opened.
There are two Supercenters in Casper, WY. I detest going to either of them - but I detest shopping in general. If I need something fairly basic and for some groceries, I will go there (it is closer to the mountain). When I was in Wasilla, we needed to make a late night run for a couple of necessities - and the Supercenter was immense. As I stated, I walked in and walked right back out - the husband took care of things. The next time we needed something, we walked into Fred Meyer's and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and the prices are comparable to Walmart. When I - grudgingly - have to shop, I would prefer Freddies. Carr's was impressive as well for groceries.
Walmart has changed, yes, and has become a conglomeration of immense proportions...but it has provided jobs. On the other hand, it also is that 'corporate monster' making the mom/pop shops nearly obsolete and forcing them to raise their prices. Is it a no-win situation? I don't know...I just prefer to remain frugal and not have to shop at all if I can help it

Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
LOL---yeah, it'd be nice if we didn't have to shop too!

Changing the subject slightly; anyone know some inside info about AC stores here in Alaska? About 2 years ago, they bought out a privately owned 2-store setup here on POW.

Since then, they have never stopped raising prices. Last week in our quaint little "Island News" there was a pretty angry article calling for a week-long once a month ban on shopping there, as they are "raping" us with their high prices. Usually I don't get on bandwagons but I did feel moved to try to get some items elsewhere.

It seemed to get the attention of management--for about 2 minutes. Then, they upped some prices yet again! It's pretty hard to shop now...but it is hard because even if we resort to more and more hunting/gathering for our subsistence, that still costs some gas; boat or truck gas, take your pick, and that is starting to be prohibitive for some real low-income folks $$-wise! Freakin' scary!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I think it may be best to agree to disagree on this. I was employed by Walmart for a short time many years ago - whilst I was in school - and at first, it was just a mere Walmart, no SuperCenter or the like. It was a lovely place to work, everyone got on fine and there was a closeness. It wasn't long before a SuperCenter was built and we transferred over...and the closeness was gone. It became less of a family feel and more of that 'corporation' mentality.
But this was also in the early-mid 90's. I had insurance and such without a hitch...I was a single mother and whilst I didn't make a cash-haul every two weeks, I was able to provide for my son and I.
The convenience of the Supercenters is what is so appealing; the ability to purchase gardening gear then a few groceries all in one stop. I am more inclined to stop into mom and pop stores...but even then I have experienced price gouging on simple things - which I know they feel inclined to do to keep their shops opened.
There are two Supercenters in Casper, WY. I detest going to either of them - but I detest shopping in general. If I need something fairly basic and for some groceries, I will go there (it is closer to the mountain). When I was in Wasilla, we needed to make a late night run for a couple of necessities - and the Supercenter was immense. As I stated, I walked in and walked right back out - the husband took care of things. The next time we needed something, we walked into Fred Meyer's and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and the prices are comparable to Walmart. When I - grudgingly - have to shop, I would prefer Freddies. Carr's was impressive as well for groceries.
Walmart has changed, yes, and has become a conglomeration of immense proportions...but it has provided jobs. On the other hand, it also is that 'corporate monster' making the mom/pop shops nearly obsolete and forcing them to raise their prices. Is it a no-win situation? I don't know...I just prefer to remain frugal and not have to shop at all if I can help it
Well that's good that you had no problems working there. I'm basing my dislike for Wal-Mart on what I have heard about & read about for a few years now. I thought it was common knowledge that Wal-Mart had a bad history regarding benefits. Ah, we agree to disagree & life goes on

Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Why don't you quit attacking me on every point I make, this is the 2nd one today. You approve of huge corporations, you approve of destroying the environment...good for you, but I feel sorry for you. Keep you conservative attacks to yourself because I'm not interested.
I'm not "attacking" you. I'm simply refuting your viewpoints. I have no problem with huge corporations and apparently you equate my derision towards "global warming" nonsense as "destroying the environment." There's no need to feel sorry for me. I know what I'm talking about (opening myself up for a nice jab here ) and am 100% confident in the veracity of my opinions. However, you are obviously just as entitled to yours.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 55,145 times
i wish there was a bit more variety for staple goods in ketchikan. walmart is, thankfully, located on the way out of town, out of view. i found safeway to be pretty reasonable thus far. does anyone know much about tongass tc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska