Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 PM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you're all for screwing the consumers? Nice.
So you want a governmental organization to dictate what price private industry may charge for their goods and services. Leave it up to the government cause they’re just here to protect us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 02:57 PM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
We have some friends that are flying up for vacation. Avis called them and said they have to cancel their reservation as no cars are available. They have their vacation booked and could not cancel. They are renting from TOURO but it is not cheap. We always fly up for 2 weeks in August and rent a car for part of it. Not this year. We stay with our daughter so we will be doing things with them.
I live in Wisconsin and it is the same here. Sometimes we rent a car for the weekends when we take trips. Not this year, they are expensive here too.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
So you want a governmental organization to dictate what price private industry may charge for their goods and services. Leave it up to the government cause they’re just here to protect us.
When private industries take advantage of consumers, yes.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:49 PM

367 posts, read 304,624 times
Quote:
When private industries take advantage of consumers, yes.
The car rental companies held a gun to your head and forced you to pay them?

Or, are there just people that are paying those prices.

Go be poor somewhere else!

Old 06-06-2021, 07:20 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
We have some friends that are flying up for vacation. Avis called them and said they have to cancel their reservation as no cars are available. They have their vacation booked and could not cancel. They are renting from TOURO but it is not cheap. We always fly up for 2 weeks in August and rent a car for part of it. Not this year. We stay with our daughter so we will be doing things with them.
I live in Wisconsin and it is the same here. Sometimes we rent a car for the weekends when we take trips. Not this year, they are expensive here too.
Perhaps Alaskans will take to doing what some Hawaiians are, namely renting out their second cars to tourists. Hawaii rates are even more ridiculous than in Alaska, when you can actually find a car that is.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Covid is mostly to blame. Rentals were sold off due to lack of demand. Now they need vehicles but everything is now more expensive. The inflation result of covid is just getting started. Get ready for higher prices for almost everything.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Covid is mostly to blame. Rentals were sold off due to lack of demand. Now they need vehicles but everything is now more expensive. The inflation result of covid is just getting started. Get ready for higher prices for almost everything.
Yep. Obviously, many folks on this board don't care about rental car prices as they're residents and it doesn't directly impact them. Let's see how they feel when the inflation goes up for consumer staples and other items that they depend upon regularly. Human nature though. It's all about self reliance when the person getting screwed over is not you.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
It is generally a supply change problem caused by the pandemic. The solution will take time. In the meantime expect inflation in almost every segment of the economy. This will hit lower income individuals and families the hardest and may result in a deep recession. Politically could be bad for dems, but really is no politcal party’s fault.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Yep. Obviously, many folks on this board don't care about rental car prices as they're residents and it doesn't directly impact them. Let's see how they feel when the inflation goes up for consumer staples and other items that they depend upon regularly. Human nature though. It's all about self reliance when the person getting screwed over is not you.
Like others have said, the rental car situation isn't specific to Alaska. If it's beyond your means, don't go. Simple as that. And conflating consumer staples with luxury items such as rental cars in an expensive tourist destination is a weak analogy.

I suppose that when the government is willing to completely reimburse these businesses for the money they lost during the pandemic, maybe they should have something to say about what they charge.

Hell, I want a bottle of 2K Bordeaux but can't justify the cost, so I'll live with something else rather than expecting the government to swoop in and force the price to go down.

See how that works?

ETA I can assure you that plenty of Alaska residents have taken serious financial hits because of the pandemic. But again, you're complaining about a temporary issue concerning a luxury service that's hardly specific to Alaska.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-06-2021 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Like others have said, the rental car situation isn't specific to Alaska. If it's beyond your means, don't go. Simple as that. And conflating consumer staples with luxury items such as rental cars in an expensive tourist destination is a weak analogy.

I suppose that when the government is willing to completely reimburse these businesses for the money they lost during the pandemic, maybe they should have something to say about what they charge.

Hell, I want a bottle of 2K Bordeaux but can't justify the cost, so I'll live with something else rather than expecting the government to swoop in and force the price to go down.

See how that works?

ETA I don't think anyone in this thread is particularly unsympathetic toward you, and I can assure you that plenty of Alaska residents have taken serious financial hits because of the pandemic. But again, you're complaining about a temporary issue concerning a luxury service that's hardly specific to Alaska.
Never said this was specific to Alaska. I know it's occurring in Hawaii, Montana and elsewhere. I wouldn't consider a rental car a luxury item, but to each their own. I do think companies need to be profitable, but I also believe in consumer protections. I can afford it and I'll be helping to contribute to your economy next month, gladly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska