Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 10:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

The pandemic has made everything automotive more expensive. New and used car prices are at all time highs. Again, this is part of a supply issue. It may turn around, but not likely anytime soon. Get use to high prices on just about everything. Inflation is back, with a vengeance. Unfortunately I don’t think wages will catch up in the near term. The real damage to the economy is still in front of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Only for things that fall within the legal definition of price gouging. This doesn't.

So unfortunately true.
After selling off inventories, agencies are hesitant to buy more; and hire people.
Other countries are also feeling the crunch, prices in Mexico are double right now; and it's off-season.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you watch the video in the OP? It explains everything... Car companies are shutting down plants because of it, which means used cars have already skyrocketed in price as new cars are hard to find. Car rental companies that actually survived some, do you think they even have the capital to buy a ton of cars that aren’t even available or being made....
I completely get that it's a supply and demand issue. However, I'm saying that the gouging is a lot worse in Alaska vs what I'm seeing elsewhere. Just for fun, I plugged in my travel dates to check prices at other airports in CA, FL and HI. Yes, they're overpriced there also, but Alaska is 2-3x higher for the same type of vehicle, if it's even available.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:30 PM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I completely get that it's a supply and demand issue. However, I'm saying that the gouging is a lot worse in Alaska vs what I'm seeing elsewhere. Just for fun, I plugged in my travel dates to check prices at other airports in CA, FL and HI. Yes, they're overpriced there also, but Alaska is 2-3x higher for the same type of vehicle, if it's even available.
You just don’t get it. That $100 dollar a night hotel room that you get in the middle of winter in Alaska will often cost you $250 to $300 a night in the summer. That’s not gouging. That’s simply supply and demand. Alaska prices for everything have always been higher then the lower 48.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:55 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
You just don’t get it. That $100 dollar a night hotel room that you get in the middle of winter in Alaska will often cost you $250 to $300 a night in the summer. That’s not gouging. That’s simply supply and demand. Alaska prices for everything have always been higher then the lower 48.
$250-300/night for a hotel is fairly standard for any resort area in the US. $300+ per day for an average rental car is not.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:51 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
But this has absolutely nothing to do with current car rental rates. They're WAY higher than typically found during summer season. As in, over 100% higher. Just because demand is greater than supply doesn't necessarily justify these rates. Sure seems like it fits the definition of gouging to me. Gouging typically occurs during times of crisis. OTOH, rental car agencies have taken a huge hit over Covid and may be struggling to survive. So, it's not just that a crisis has occurred, they've suffered a great deal for months. I don't know, should the companies charge whatever they can in this situation? Maybe so.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
But this has absolutely nothing to do with current car rental rates. They're WAY higher than typically found during summer season. As in, over 100% higher. Just because demand is greater than supply doesn't necessarily justify these rates. Sure seems like it fits the definition of gouging to me. Gouging typically occurs during times of crisis. OTOH, rental car agencies have taken a huge hit over Covid and may be struggling to survive. So, it's not just that a crisis has occurred, they've suffered a great deal for months. I don't know, should the companies charge whatever they can in this situation? Maybe so.
It's my understanding that that particular industry didn't get the same level of CARES ACT assistance as others such as hotels and airlines. Price gouging laws are applicable during a state of emergency; Alaska is no longer under one.

It seems to me that with reduced inventory and a fairly low industry profit margin along with an extremely short season compared with other popular desistinations, these rental car companies probably aren't in the best of financial health. I guess they could close up; many have, and leave the tourists with nothing.

I think most of us have been financially inconvenienced because of COVID in some way or another.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rtage-economy/

Old 06-09-2021, 06:10 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
That's a great video that explains the global supply chain issues in a pretty simple way. Thank you for sharing it - I enjoyed watching it.

I had the privilege of being trained and certified in Lean Six Sigma by Toyota when I worked for GE, and am eternally grateful for it. It has helped me in every job I've had since then.
I too was trained in Six Sigma, but only achieved Green Belt status before I left. It totally changed the way I see the business world.

I'm actually thinking about starting a consulting firm for healthcare practices in Florida using similar principals. I'd only hire Black Belts to help me.

Rental car agencies should be buying off-lease cars to bolster inventory. I don't know why they are not.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:12 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
So, you're all for screwing the consumers? Nice.
Soon, the market will correct itself...it always does. Once you bring government into the equation, it grows like a cancer that can't be removed.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
We don’t need more government intervention.
Quote:
So, you're all for screwing the consumers? Nice.
It's the capitalist way.

Yay, unregulated free market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska