Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 17,269 times

Advertisements

This might seem like a silly question but here goes.....

I'll be in Barrow the first week of June and I need to know if I should bring a winter coat (Land's End Squall Parka) or just a winter jacket?

I've checked the historical weather and I don't think the actual temperature will be all that bad - but, what I'm having trouble with is the wind. I don't want to spend my time in Barrow being miserable because I'm cold. But, I also don't want to drag along a heavy winter coat that I'll only need to use for 3 or 4 days. -- And, I'm only slightly too young to be able to depend on hot flashes to keep me warm. I'll glady bring the heavy coat if I need to. I'm really just afraid of bringing that thing all the way to Barrow and then, not needing it.

I know this is probably a tough question for those who have lived in Barrow for years, if not an entire lifetime, since June weather probably feels pretty warm to you. But, what about the "tourists"? I live in NW Washington State and we have fairly mild winters.

Also, I read somewhere to bring along rubber boots because there is mud everywhere. Is this true? I wish I could remember where I read that - but, it escapes me. Rubber boots are another thing I don't really want to pack as I'll be gone for 2 weeks which includes 1 week on a cruise ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,661,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLM2 View Post
I'll be in Barrow the first week of June and I need to know if I should bring a winter coat (Land's End Squall Parka) or just a winter jacket?
I switch to short sleeve shirts about then, and haven't worn a coat for several days already... :-)

Whatever you would normally wear when it is between 30 and 45 degrees will be about right. As the temperatures go through 32F things are usually quite stable, so in early June there is generally very little variation from day to day, or even from day to "night".

Quote:
I've checked the historical weather and I don't think the actual temperature will be all that bad - but, what I'm having trouble with is the wind.
That is an excellent observation! The typical wind is 12 MPH, but on any given day it might be 2 or it might be 40. The best way to deal with wind is to have a hood. A sweat shirt with a hood is nice, particularly at that time of year. It depends greatly on how much time you'll be spending outside though, and where at outside. If you indend on going for a boat ride on the ocean... a full blown winter parka or snow suit, with some seriously warm head gear, is necessary. If you will be out on the tundra for anything over an hour or so, a warm jacket to go along with the hooded sweat shirt is a good idea. If all you'll be doing is walking around town, a light jacket might be the better choice.

Quote:
I don't want to spend my time in Barrow being miserable because I'm cold. But, I also don't want to drag along a heavy winter coat that I'll only need to use for 3 or 4 days. -- And, I'm only slightly too young to be able to depend on hot flashes to keep me warm. I'll glady bring the heavy coat if I need to. I'm really just afraid of bringing that thing all the way to Barrow and then, not needing it.
I'm not sure what a "heavy winter coat" is to you! :-) An Arctic Parka good to -60F??? Only if you'll be in a boat. But a coat that you might wear on the coldest days of January in Seattle would probably be about right, for the worst case weather likely. It won't be that cold here, but the wind doesn't blow in Seattle like this either!

Quote:
Also, I read somewhere to bring along rubber boots because there is mud everywhere. Is this true? I wish I could remember where I read that - but, it escapes me. Rubber boots are another thing I don't really want to pack as I'll be gone for 2 weeks which includes 1 week on a cruise ship.
If you'll be walking around town, you don't need rubber boots. I you'll be going out on the tundra, you'll need rubber boots. Easy as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: