Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 12:37 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks for telling me what "fisherman knows;" I never would have known otherwise.

For anyone inclined to buy into the usual conspiracy noise, anyone in the North Pacific seafood industry knows that the Bering Sea is getting warmer in ways that the usual el nino/la nina fluctuations don't account for. This is not a drill.

Edit: the prices of snow crab won't be "spiking" this year as some sort of a "plot" because there won't be any.
Thank you.

I will add that we've now had 3 consecutive la nina years, which in the past usually means cooler north Pacific ocean waters.

Additionally, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation also plays a role in our ocean temperatures. I believe this index is also on a cold phase right now. Hmm. Where's the cool water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 05:02 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Thank you.

I will add that we've now had 3 consecutive la nina years, which in the past usually means cooler north Pacific ocean waters.

Additionally, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation also plays a role in our ocean temperatures. I believe this index is also on a cold phase right now. Hmm. Where's the cool water?

That doesn't sound right. 2019 had the warmest Bering Sea temperatures on record. That likely had a big impact on snowcrab populations.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:44 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That doesn't sound right. 2019 had the warmest Bering Sea temperatures on record. That likely had a big impact on snowcrab populations.
I think the La Ninas have been 2020, 2021 and now 2022. Not sure what the ocean temperatures have been during these three years. Again, there seems to be a bigger factor in play here besides ENSO.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
This is correct. The naysayers who say this is a conspiracy to fire all the crab fishermen have no idea what they are talking about. I work all over the state, from the Aleutians to the Interior to the North Slope to the Southeast, and the majority of Native residents have told me repeatedly the state is getting warmer. I doubt other posters have traveled the state as much as I. The residents notice earlier thaws and later icing, and they are outside in the weather year round. There are fewer crab. If there are no crab to fish next year, the fishermen won't have jobs then or ever.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is correct. The naysayers who say this is a conspiracy to fire all the crab fishermen have no idea what they are talking about. I work all over the state, from the Aleutians to the Interior to the North Slope to the Southeast, and the majority of Native residents have told me repeatedly the state is getting warmer. I doubt other posters have traveled the state as much as I. The residents notice earlier thaws and later icing, and they are outside in the weather year round. There are fewer crab. If there are no crab to fish next year, the fishermen won't have jobs then or ever.
You're not wrong about the changes in the weather/climate, but except for that one guy from the East Coast or somewhere who's probably never been to Alaska, I'm not seeing the "naysayers" that you're referencing. Residents, whether they're Native or not, get it.

Edit: it's possible to empathize with those who'll be negatively affected by the closures while understanding that there's no real choice here.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/it-s-si...s-crab-seasons

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-06-2022 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-06-2022, 11:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Learn something new every day. I've never heard of cherry/masou salmon before. Now I have.
I've heard you can get it in some West Coast Japanese restaurants, but Idk how common that is or even if it's true; they aren't very plentiful.

Old 12-02-2022, 04:58 PM

Interesting read on the subject:

https://nautil.us/where-have-all-the...s-gone-248247/

"On the surface, the king crab tragedy rhymes with the recent collapse of the snow crab: Like in the early ’80s, a once-protected habitat was exposed and, after a few years of high crab quotas and spiking trawler bycatch, populations collapsed. And just as with king crab, NOAA officials have described the snow crab crash as a mysterious natural phenomenon."

Old 06-03-2023, 07:21 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Here in Vancouver BC, we have been having a feast of king crabs this year for as low as C$168 or C$198 per live-crab, prepared in two ways - steamed and deep-fried. The photo attached was taken on June 01, and the restaurant claimed that those were "Alaskan" crabs!
Last night at another restaurant, the waiter brought two live-crabs on a tray to the table next to us; he told them one was "russian" and the other one was "alaskan" and the taste was discernible difference.

I thought the harvest has been cancelled, and the sanctions are still in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Fall Alaska king crab harvest canceled-alaskan-crab_20230601_russian-alaska_1_c.jpg  

Old 06-05-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Here in Vancouver BC, we have been having a feast of king crabs this year for as low as C$168 or C$198 per live-crab, prepared in two ways - steamed and deep-fried. The photo attached was taken on June 01, and the restaurant claimed that those were "Alaskan" crabs!
Last night at another restaurant, the waiter brought two live-crabs on a tray to the table next to us; he told them one was "russian" and the other one was "alaskan" and the taste was discernible difference.

I thought the harvest has been cancelled, and the sanctions are still in place.

"as low as $198 per crab" That's crazy. My wife and I love crab but pretty much stopped buying it because of the price.

Deep frying crab should be against the law.

Not all of the Alaskan king crab fisheries were shut down. Just some of the bigger ones so there is still Alaskan king crab available to buy.

Russia exports their crab to China. China exports them to the US and I'm guessing Canada too. Sanctions can have limited effectiveness.

As for no difference in taste between Russian and Alaska crab, the crab don't know which side of the border they are on.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:44 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
"as low as $198 per crab" That's crazy. My wife and I love crab but pretty much stopped buying it because of the price.

Deep frying crab should be against the law.

Not all of the Alaskan king crab fisheries were shut down. Just some of the bigger ones so there is still Alaskan king crab available to buy.

Russia exports their crab to China. China exports them to the US and I'm guessing Canada too. Sanctions can have limited effectiveness.

As for no difference in taste between Russian and Alaska crab, the crab don't know which side of the border they are on.
This. Here's a link to info about AK king crab, starting off with red; the largest species. Also links to the other Pacific species harvested at a commercial level; blue and golden/brown. Red and blue kings have been the most commercially valuable over time compared to golden/brown which is the smallest of the three, so their fisheries have ended up becoming more restricted. As red and blue populations declined crabbers focused more on goldens. Can't recall ever hearing that all AK's king crab fisheries have ever been shut down entirely.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...dkingcrab.main

Other cold water Pacific crab that are havested commercially include snow/Tanner crab and Dungeness.

Agree...frying a king crab seems an unnecessary sacrilege !

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-05-2023 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska