Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 12:55 AM

300 posts, read 329,103 times

Advertisements

Yep, op, where do you want to buy?

Closest I can think of to Anch is Glennallen, for an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 03:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,554 times
Thank you so much everyone for the helpful replies. It's hard work making a dream come true so any help at all can make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alaska is big. Where do you want to live?

How big of a plot are you looking for?

Does the land need to be buildable? How accessible? Do you want road access? Grid electricity?
I have kept my expectations relatively low as I've found it hard to find any Alaskan land without taxes. My other priorities are as much acreage as my budget will allow. I intend to grow enough food for myself. Also, I'd like to be as remote as the money will let me be. I'm flexible with everything else. Whatever is the cheaper option.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't quite understand how y'all are paying taxes. Does a plane come in with the letter and you stick money in the envelope back? Again, I don't plan on leaving the land to go into town. To me, it sounds like solar power, internet providers, and online bill pay are the best option given the circumstance. Please let me know if there are other ways.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:07 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromager View Post
Thank you so much everyone for the helpful replies. It's hard work making a dream come true so any help at all can make a big difference.

I have kept my expectations relatively low as I've found it hard to find any Alaskan land without taxes. My other priorities are as much acreage as my budget will allow. I intend to grow enough food for myself. Also, I'd like to be as remote as the money will let me be. I'm flexible with everything else. Whatever is the cheaper option.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't quite understand how y'all are paying taxes. Does a plane come in with the letter and you stick money in the envelope back? Again, I don't plan on leaving the land to go into town. To me, it sounds like solar power, internet providers, and online bill pay are the best option given the circumstance. Please let me know if there are other ways.
Do you have any experience being a completely self-sufficient hermit? I don't think Alaska is the place to learn. I think you are setting yourself up for failure, especially with such a limited budget.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:30 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

I'm embarrassed to say I don't quite understand how y'all are paying taxes. Does a plane come in with the letter and you stick money in the envelope back?

We do have internet in Alaska. And post offices.

LOL @ growing your own food.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:38 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:

It's not like once you go off-grid you never return to civilization again. Pretty much everyone off-grid has a PO Box at the nearest town with a post office. You come to town every so often to buy things you need and check your mail.

As far as growing your own food, hope you like potatoes. It's one of the few crops that grows well and stores well up here. Carrots and cabbages too, but you need to know what you are doing. Gardening up here isn't the same as down south.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:12 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

How much do you know about Alaska? Not much apparently, though I snooped and looked at your profile. The zip code you gave comes back as Anchorage. Surely you realize people in Anchorage pay bills and mail letters just like everyone else? There are places outside AK's big city that have the same modern amenities and places that don't. You seen to think everyone out there lives a day's dogsled ride from civilization. Just why I don't know. People who are living the sort of off grid life you dream of are not burning precious daylight hours giving advice on social media. They are busy doing all the work necessary to keep from freezing or starving.

There are still areas (and those tend to be the cheap properties not subject to property taxes) where web access or a cell signal lies somewhere between uselessly bad to non-existent. If you aren't lucky enough to have a satellite signal or power to run the equipment necessary to use it, you send paper mail through the USPS and you go to a post office in some town to do it. Where do you think you'd get $1000 in paper bills to stick in that envelope anyway? From a bank...and that also requires going to a town. A coffee can or mattress will only hold so many.

As for powering the connectivity you want, how well do you think solar's going to work during the winter? Depending on how far north you are, there's little to no sun for weeks. If you live in Anchorage it should be fairly obvious the problem that can create and it is farther south than Interior areas you'd probably need to consider. Of course, wind generators are another option but the wind doesn't blow 24/7/365 anywhere. Sometimes it blows too much and you end up braking your generator so it doesn't self destruct. Maybe you keep a gas generator/battery bank on hand to power that equipment...but that means you haul fuel to feed it and that means you either go to town to get it or pay someone an arm and a leg to have it delivered.

Believe it or not, even people who live very off grid still need to buy supplies and take care of modern day business periodically. If mail can't be delivered to your remote homestead you keep a PO box at a post office somewhere. Sure, you can send and receive some things General Delivery instead of via PO box but some documents and bills won't be delivered that way. Somewhere, somehow, you need a legal address. Even to have your property deed recorded, to access a bank account, maybe to anchor the credit card that pays for those web transactions you say you'll make. Remember that parcel listed for under $35K in unincorporated Gustavus? People there have mail delivered to a PO box. There aren't enough of them at their tiny post office so sometimes you sit on a list waiting for one to become available...for years.

Ah, the sun's on its way back above the horizon. Spring must be on the way. 'Tis the season for AK newbies with romantic notions about retreating-from-modern-life-but-expecting-sophisticated-web-access to join C-D. Either that or someone's been binge watching Life Below Zero a bit too long.

I know this sounds sarcastic OP, but really. You've got quite a wake up call ahead of you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-08-2022 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 620 times
[quote=Parnassia;63042560]People who are living the sort of off grid life you dream of are not burning precious daylight hours giving advice on social media. They are busy doing all the work necessary to keep from freezing or starving.

This is the answer, OP. These guys don't know. That doesn't mean you should get discouraged by their negativity.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornango View Post
This is the answer, OP. These guys don't know. That doesn't mean you should get discouraged by their negativity.
OTH.. I'm pretty handy but would not last 30 days in a remote isolated area doing what he wants to do.

Most young adults today can't operate a screwdriver and would not last 2 weeks.

So overall its good sound advice for the naïve who think it would be a great life and watch too much TV.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:46 AM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
[quote=Bornango;63044931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
People who are living the sort of off grid life you dream of are not burning precious daylight hours giving advice on social media. They are busy doing all the work necessary to keep from freezing or starving.

I gave him a link where to find untaxed property. He’s simply a troll.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
When they start talking about growing their own food, that's a sure sign they're a troll. And anyone can put any zip code they want in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska