Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times

Advertisements

Try the companies on these links, they should be knowledgeable enough to at least point you in the right path let alone do the job. Good luck.

Automobile Transporters in Juneau, AK (broken link)

Automobile Transporters in Anchorage, AK (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 AM

103 posts, read 783,677 times
We bought our own Towbar and used the pulled Car for extra storage.It made me feel secure knowing if 1 vehicle broke down there was the other one to use get help with.
It all depends if car 1 can pull car 2.
Here is a link to uhaul towbar.You might want to call them and give both vehicle's specs.If it works your problem can be solved for $150
U-Haul moving supplies: Adjustable Tow Bar

Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
This is a roller coaster! Now we are looking at just dumping the car and moving head. I'll check into the transports you folks listed just to see what the deal would be.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Dumping car #2 is also a good option. If you can sell it before you leave, that would give you some money to replace it when you get to AK (if you really need to)... plus you'd have saved all that money you didn't spend to ship it

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Dumping car #2 is also a good option. If you can sell it before you leave, that would give you some money to replace it when you get to AK (if you really need to)... plus you'd have saved all that money you didn't spend to ship it
Even if we took a small-moderate loss on the car we would still be further ahead than having it shipped or hauling it behind us..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Even if we took a small-moderate loss on the car we would still be further ahead than having it shipped or hauling it behind us..
Many people moving to AK just replace vehicles and household goods... it's cheaper to replace them than to ship them (especially with fuel prices the way they are). I think it's time you had a big ol' garage sale!!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Many people moving to AK just replace vehicles and household goods... it's cheaper to replace them than to ship them (especially with fuel prices the way they are). I think it's time you had a big ol' garage sale!!
We had our Realtor over yesterday to do a market assessment on our home. The wife and I decided that, other than those items dear to us, are either:

a. going with the home
b. getting sold at auction.

I find it odd that here we are in our 40's, stable, own our home with all the kids gone and we are selling practically everything we own. Jumping in a vehicle and driving 3,700 miles to a new state. About everyone I talk to about it gives us the two thumbs up with the exception of my mother who just shakes her head I guess it is time to live..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
We had our Realtor over yesterday to do a market assessment on our home. The wife and I decided that, other than those items dear to us, are either:

a. going with the home
b. getting sold at auction.

I find it odd that here we are in our 40's, stable, own our home with all the kids gone and we are selling practically everything we own. Jumping in a vehicle and driving 3,700 miles to a new state. About everyone I talk to about it gives us the two thumbs up with the exception of my mother who just shakes her head I guess it is time to live..
I know the feeling. My husband and I are looking at selling our house to a flip investor, which would pay off the mortgage but wouldn't give us much equity profit. My family thinks I'm insane to "waste money like that"... but the house is just too big for us and needs some expensive reno. For us, it's a waste of money to keep it, try to fix it up, and then hope it sells high enough to make back the mortgage and remodeling. And we're probably just going to donate all our household stuff to charity so we can take only our important personal stuff with us to AK. Everyone thinks we're completely insane, too!! But if you want to start a "new life" why drag all your old crap with you?!?!?

Good luck

Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I know the feeling. My husband and I are looking at selling our house to a flip investor, which would pay off the mortgage but wouldn't give us much equity profit. My family thinks I'm insane to "waste money like that"... but the house is just too big for us and needs some expensive reno. For us, it's a waste of money to keep it, try to fix it up, and then hope it sells high enough to make back the mortgage and remodeling. And we're probably just going to donate all our household stuff to charity so we can take only our important personal stuff with us to AK. Everyone thinks we're completely insane, too!! But if you want to start a "new life" why drag all your old crap with you?!?!?

Good luck
Your exactly right! I am finding that what I thought was important in my 20's was not so important in my 30's and now that I am in my 40's all those "things" really might not be as important as I thought they were. So, unless they have some special value they are gone. We will make a very nice return on investment in our home if we can get what we want out of it. But, what it sells for, when it sells etc. is out of my hands. All the wife and I can do is what we think is the next right thing and let someone "larger" than us handle the rest. If we are meant to be in Alaska this fall we will be there if not next spring.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM

145 posts, read 570,729 times
Hi,

It might work out as well or better to buy something to tow your car with...then you could sell it when you get there.

We are not bringing a lot, but my daughter and her family are coming...so there will be *some* stuff. We are buying a cargo trailer, putting the Subaru in it along with the household goods from 2 houses, and then plan to sell the trailer when we get there.

WHEW! When I think that we almost wasted the money paying someone to do it.

Also, if you have an address before you go up, it is very reasonable to mail stuff to yourself. The Postal Service, at least from where I am, is way cheaper than UPS or FEDEX. If you don't have an address yet, you can always leave the boxes with some reliable person :-)

Good luck!
Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska