Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 10:54 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
AKStafford can probably provide more information on that.
According to my friends in Hoonah at the time, the "cast" & crew lived at the Lodge and only traveled out to "Brown Town" to film.
And "Brown Town" was located on Huna Totem land, so they must of been leasing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The fact the Matt is shunned by the family now, how he was a drunk and now is never on the show.
And he's the most normal of the bunch.

I don't really keep up with them, but it's my understanding that Matt is sober these days. I can see how growing up in that family could cause anyone to overindulge.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
@Metlakatla Lol @ most normal of the bunch :P

Okay I read the article, and TBF it was pretty much all hearsay? Basically people got the "sense" that the Browns were just leeches that never helped their neighbours and just had their hands out?

Then the guy who refused to return a handshake from Gabe Brown because he didn't like that the Brown's didn't represent the typical Alaskan and were "fake"? Again seems to be just what he "heard" about them and not 1st hand experience. Seems a tad rude not to at least respond with a plain hi and shake.

I'm not a fan of hating on people just because I heard that maybe they were "bad".

Granted some of the facts go against them - the legal troubles with the State payments. But unless I hear the facts, from people 1st hand or at least know the people who were wronged by the Browns, then I reserve judgement.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Okay I read the article, and TBF it was pretty much all hearsay? Basically people got the "sense" that the Browns were just leeches that never helped their neighbours and just had their hands out?

Then the guy who refused to return a handshake from Gabe Brown because he didn't like that the Brown's didn't represent the typical Alaskan and were "fake"? Again seems to be just what he "heard" about them and not 1st hand experience. Seems a tad rude not to at least respond with a plain hi and shake.

I'm not a fan of hating on people just because I heard that maybe they were "bad".

Granted some of the facts go against them - the legal troubles with the State payments. But unless I hear the facts, from people 1st hand or at least know the people who were wronged by the Browns, then I reserve judgement.
What? Got "the sense?"

Like I already told you, plenty of us have first experience with the Browns. This family grifted through our communities, lady. Your hero Billy Brown BSed his way into a job with my family. Good thing he only lasted 10 days and that we had the presence of mind to refuse when he tried to grift his way into parking his bus on an empty lot I own. I would have had to hire hazmat to clean it up from what I saw of how they left the side of the road when they pulled up stakes and grifted up to Port Protection.

And their "legal troubles" aren't merely "hearsay," they're a matter of public record. Their PFD theft is reason enough for anyone to decline to shake their hands. That represents a theft from all Alaskans.

From what I can understand of your post, you're trying to claim that the refusal to shake Gabe's hand "didn't represent the typical Alaskan?" LOL. So you're trying to speak for the "typical Alaskan" because why? Just so you know, these generational fishermen with ancestral roots in Norway are far more typical of that part of Alaska than the Bus Family Robinson.

Who are you to pass judgement on anyone who declines to shake hands with a member of the Brown family anyway?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-01-2022 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 09:14 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What? Got "the sense?"

Like I already told you, plenty of us have first experience with the Browns. This family grifted through our communities, lady. Your hero Billy Brown BSed his way into a job with my family. Good thing he only lasted 10 days and that we had the presence of mind to refuse when he tried to grift his way into parking his bus on an empty lot I own. I would have had to hire hazmat to clean it up from what I saw of how they left the side of the road when they pulled up stakes and grifted up to Port Protection.

And their "legal troubles" aren't merely "hearsay," they're a matter of public record. Their PFD theft is reason enough for anyone to decline to shake their hands. That represents a theft from all Alaskans.

From what I can understand of your post, you're trying to claim that the refusal to shake Gabe's hand "didn't represent the typical Alaskan?" LOL. So you're trying to speak for the "typical Alaskan" because why? Just so you know, these generational fishermen with ancestral roots in Norway are far more typical of that part of Alaska than the Bus Family Robinson.

Who are you to pass judgement on anyone who declines to shake hands with a member of the Brown family anyway?
Lol calm down your britches there.

The man who refused to shake Gabe's hand said that he didn't want to greet him back because Gabe didn't represent the typical Alaskan.

I can understand him not wanting to shake Billy's hand, but Gabe is just his son. Did Gabe do anything truly bad... or is it guilt inherited by family.

BTW I never said that Billy was a hero, but I still refuse to put down a person just because of a few bad experiences. You make it sound like he was evil and ripping everyone off (grifted up to port protection).

I'm sure a lot of the show was manufactured and glorified, but don't make the man out to be Satan unless you can prove that he truly harmed people out of malice.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:

The man who refused to shake Gabe's hand said that he didn't want to greet him back because Gabe didn't represent the typical Alaskan.
That's not what he said at all (and he certainly doesn't owe it to Gabe to shake his hand, regardless). This is what he said, and he's right:

Quote:
“I mean, look what the show is,” he said. “It’s non-residents portraying themselves as Alaskans that basically make us all look like a bunch of frickin’ morons.”
Like I already told you, the Browns grifted through our communities, leaving a trail of filth by the side of the road every time they moved their bus. Anyone who actually lives here will tell you the same thing. Pretty much everything in the article that you're trying to claim is "hearsay" comes directly from first-hand contact with the family.

I was surprised when I saw the old poser on TV trying to claim that he'd been a commercial fishermen for 30 years. He couldn't even tell one species of Pacific salmon from another.

Quote:
but don't make the man out to be Satan
This is you making stuff up/twisting again. I'm calling the Browns what they are; garden-variety grifters and cons, which they showed themselves to be far before that silly little show.

But I suppose even the most ridiculous fantasy is better than none, and perhaps you like people who live in filth like the Browns. Maybe they're just your kind of people, idk.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-01-2022 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Amazing that the Petersburg realtor ignored their inquires! Only in Alaska.
Probably knew that surrounding property values would plummet if the Browns moved to town.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:28 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:

I can understand him not wanting to shake Billy's hand, but Gabe is just his son. Did Gabe do anything truly bad... or is it guilt inherited by family.

BTW I never said that Billy was a hero, but I still refuse to put down a person just because of a few bad experiences. You make it sound like he was evil and ripping everyone off (grifted up to port protection).

I'm sure a lot of the show was manufactured and glorified, but don't make the man out to be Satan unless you can prove that he truly harmed people out of malice.
One thing pretty much all "confidence" men (and I use "men" in its broadest sense. Women con too) have in common is that they charm other people in order to take advantage of their goodwill. They want to take something from their chosen victim they are not entitled to take, whether it's money, property or time. Don't know about you, but I consider theft malicious.

Apparently, a member of a TV audience isn't immune to charm.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-02-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 05:19 PM

125 posts, read 100,035 times
Quote:

Sounds like metlakatla has 1st hand experience.

I agree that one should reserve judgement until it can be justified. I'll also point out there is way more information out there than just fleeting rumors.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:56 AM

284 posts, read 404,734 times
Metlakatla hits the nail on the head. She dealt with the head grifter of that family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska