Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 08:49 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

https://www.ktoo.org/2022/12/07/june...nce%20Jan.%201.

And that's for the airport, where average annual rainfall is about 55 inches.

Downtown averages 92 inches, so imagine how much it's had so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 08:39 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
And Ketchikan is currently at 144 inches for the year.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...-precipitation

Old 12-08-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
And Ketchikan is currently at 144 inches for the year.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...-precipitation
No where near a record, right?

A former coworker of mine who lived in Ketchikan for many years told me that Ketchikan doesn't rain any more often than Juneau, it just rains harder more often. Therefore, wetter on average. I don't know about that. I'm thinking it's probably drier in Juneau during winter, when temps more often drop below freezing.

The place I'm at in Puna averages almost exactly the same rainfall per year as Ketchikan, but if you measured it in terms of how much time it's raining it would fall well short of Juneau and Ketchikan.

Last edited by Arktikos; 12-08-2022 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-09-2022, 01:00 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Wasn't there articles from earlier this year saying Southeast was in a drought that would last for years? Or something like that?
Okay... The story was from this spring, but the drought was from 2016 to 2019: https://www.ktoo.org/2022/03/04/extr...theast-alaska/

Old 12-10-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Wasn't there articles from earlier this year saying Southeast was in a drought that would last for years? Or something like that?
Okay... The story was from this spring, but the drought was from 2016 to 2019: https://www.ktoo.org/2022/03/04/extr...theast-alaska/
A drought forecast to last many years? I don't remember that. The general feeling is that climate change will make SE even wetter.

Thanks for the links.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,079 times
This is an Informative and nice post.

Old 01-14-2023, 04:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

A former coworker of mine who lived in Ketchikan for many years told me that Ketchikan doesn't rain any more often than Juneau, it just rains harder more often. Therefore, wetter on average. I don't know about that. I'm thinking it's probably drier in Juneau during winter, when temps more often drop below freezing.

The place I'm at in Puna averages almost exactly the same rainfall per year as Ketchikan, but if you measured it in terms of how much time it's raining it would fall well short of Juneau and Ketchikan.
There's an old joke in Juneau: A cruise ship tourist ducks into a souvenir shop, sopping wet from the rain and asks, "Does it always rain like this?"

The clerk deadpans, "No. Sometimes it snows."

I think that's where KTN and JNU really differ as far as the psychological effects of rain. It snows more in Juneau. Yeah it's still precipitation but at least its not rain. And since you made the Puna comparison, yes, I agree. I remember one month in Juneau where it rained a half inch or whatever, mostly in the form of a light drizzle/mist that seemed to go on 24/7 for the entire dreary month. In Puna, we can get a half inch of rain in 30 minutes, and then it's sunny the rest of the week. So measuring precipitation in yearly totals doesn't really tell the whole story.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
No where near a record, right?

Ketchikan and BC’s Prince Rupert evoke memories of constant grayness and almost-constant rain. There was a large stick posted in one of those towns stating how many inches of rain they had had that year, and it was only late May. Something about the record so far having been 300”???? But that number includes snowfall in equivalent inches of rain.

Last edited by pikabike; 01-16-2023 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-16-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Ketchikan and BC’s Prince Rupert evoke memories of constant grayness and almost-constant rain. There was a large stick posted in one of those towns stating how many inches of rain they had had that year, and it was only late May. Something about the record so far having been 300”???? But that number includes snowfall in equivalent inches of rain.
That's right, Rupert's climate is basically the same as Ketchikan's. Constant grayness sums it up nicely.

Ketchikan has the big rain stick. I believe their record yearly rainfall is not much over 200 inches. A lot of consistency there, with their average around 155-160.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:03 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
That's right, Rupert's climate is basically the same as Ketchikan's. Constant grayness sums it up nicely.

Ketchikan has the big rain stick. I believe their record yearly rainfall is not much over 200 inches. A lot of consistency there, with their average around 155-160.
Your memory of the record is probably much better than mine. I visited AK in 2004 and 2006. Experienced the crazy heat wave in June, 90+ degrees some of those days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: