Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 04:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

This is a recent article published this week, and relates to the high cost of living in Alaska. I am posting the link for those who may be interested in understanding how expensive it is living in Alaska compared most places in the lower-48 States.
https://www.webcenterfairbanks.com/2...red-inflation/
Quote:
Comparing Alaska’s communities to the lower 48, Fairbanks’ cost of living was 23% higher than the national average, with Manhattan, New York among the most expensive locations and Harlingen, Texas among the least expensive.

For reference, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kodiak, and Juneau all had a cost of living that was about equal to Portland, Oregon. All of those cities ranking between 18 and 22 of 265 communities that were compared for cost of living.

While it made up a smaller percentage of total expenditure, healthcare or “health spending” still has a staggering role in the high cost of living for Alaskans. “It’s interesting because housing, Fairbanks for example, your housing costs are almost average for the country, but healthcare costs almost twice as high,” Robinson said. Utilities contribute further, Fairbanks ranking highest in that category with costs again twice as high as the national average.

While the cost of living has gone down over the decades, Alaska still remains one of the most expensive places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 11:49 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Articles are fine, but many people just can't (or won't) extrapolate numbers into personal reality. There will still be starry-eyed wannabes with no job in a profession with little to no regional demand, hoping the hard truths won't apply to them. That one of us will share some magic secret how to make a shoestring budget provide the outdoor magazine lifestyle they dream of.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
And the same article was probably written in the 50s, 60s, 70s and on and on when I lived there. There is a reason Federal employees get a huge cost of living increase to work there.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Articles are fine, but many people just can't (or won't) extrapolate numbers into personal reality. There will still be starry-eyed wannabes with no job in a profession with little to no regional demand, hoping the hard truths won't apply to them. That one of us will share some magic secret how to make a shoestring budget provide the outdoor magazine lifestyle they dream of.
That's true. By the way, a 3-day stay at the local emergency room and ICU for one of my sons cost $48,000, but luckily his health insurance company took care of the bill. Dental implants for the lower jaw and upper, where four to six screws are driven into the jaw bone to hold the entire row of teeth (upper or lower jaw), costs upward of $20,000 per jaw.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's true. By the way, a 3-day stay at the local emergency room and ICU for one of my sons cost $48,000, but luckily his health insurance company took care of the bill. Dental implants for the lower jaw and upper, where four to six screws are driven into the jaw bone to hold the entire row of teeth (upper or lower jaw), costs upward of $20,000 per jaw.
Just reaching necessary medical care is a reality people who don't live here have no clue about. 4 years ago Life Med flew me from the regional hospital in Homer to Anchorage at around midnight. That trip is about 125 miles by road. Flying from Homer to Anchorage takes about 30 minutes. There were 2 attendants monitoring, but I walked on and off the plane myself. The transport alone cost about $20K. Don't recall the total for the 4 total days of hospitalization, diagnostics and 1 procedure but it ended up around $100K. The transportation cost was pretty much covered by a $50 annual membership with Life Med. I started buying my annual membership while living in Gustavus. 18 years of membership (about $900) more than paid for itself.

Even if you happen to live in a larger bush town with access to basic medical care, buying extra transportation coverage can be a very good idea. Can't even recall how many friends/neighbors I've known who've ended up needing to make multiple flights (not to mention lodging and other travel expenses for multiple days or weeks) out of state for necessary services. Regular health insurance may not reimburse those expenses.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-18-2023 at 12:18 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 12:19 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
This is a recent article published this week, and relates to the high cost of living in Alaska. I am posting the link for those who may be interested in understanding how expensive it is living in Alaska compared most places in the lower-48 States.
https://www.webcenterfairbanks.com/2...red-inflation/
Honolulu, San Francisco, LA, Seattle and San Diego ahead of us. Wow, that's some elite company. What happened to NYC?

Old 09-19-2023, 08:02 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Coming from the DC metro area, housing costs in Anchorage are still a fair bit cheaper. Food from the grocery store is more here but restaurants seem similar in price. Utilities also seem similar.

Vehicles and fuel up here are definitely more expensive. We are a captive market and the dealers know what it costs to buy a car out of state and have it shipped up and apply a "market adjustment" accordingly.

Health care costs, oh boy! The US has nearly the highest health care costs in the world. And, Alaska has the highest health care costs in the US. We pay more for health care than almost everyone else on the planet. Not a big deal - until you get sick.

Old 09-20-2023, 04:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Anchorage is cheap by AK standards, though. I always get reverse sticker shock when I visit.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Anchorage is cheap by AK standards, though. I always get reverse sticker shock when I visit.
Which is one reason us folks from bush towns shop 'til we drop if we get a chance to visit!

Old 09-22-2023, 11:22 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Check out this article. The graph I was most intrigued by was cost of average single family house comparison. Juneau and Anchorage at the top isn't real surprising, but Bethel #3?

https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-...-alaska-towns/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska