Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 14,371 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job with Alaska Railroad in Anchorage as a journeyman mechanic. I’m currently a journeyman with Norfolk Southern right now and live in Virginia. I’m 25 years old and have been with NS for almost 7 years. Does anyone know how the job security is with ARR? I ask because Alaska Railroad is much smaller than NS (52 locomotives as opposed to 4000+).

Alaska has always been a place I thought would be awesome to live. I’m very outdoorsy and enjoy photography and traveling, too. I’ve never visited Alaska but I have been to Iceland where the climate is very similar based off of what I’ve read. I’m also interested in flying in Alaska and am aware of the flight schools around Anchorage. Finishing my degree is also another goal. I have money saved up so I feel comfortable getting out there and getting by till I’m settled in.

Are there any things I should be concerned about? Any advice for someone from 4000 some miles away? I think job security is the biggest one for me. I’ve done some prior reading on this forum and it seems the economy in Alaska isn’t in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 12:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,732,967 times
ARRC has had a tough time lately. For a long time, one of their main money makers was hauling coal from Healy to Seward for export. With the world wide shift from coal to other energy sources they are not exporting coal any more.

That said, ARRC has gone through several rounds of layoffs and I'd say (and this is only my opinion) that they are more stable now. You are 25 and if you get a job offer I'd take it and move on up. Otherwise you will always be wondering "what if..."

We moved up here from Centreville VA almost 25 years ago and I don't regret that move one bit.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,196,483 times
Don't move until you actually have the job! If the ARRC needs you, it will probably be a long term job.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,638,204 times
Is it just a summer seasonal job or is it a year round offer?

Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 PM

The job would be full time. I wouldn’t move unless I had the job. Is crime really as bad as people say it is in Anchorage?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,629,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
The job would be full time. I wouldn’t move unless I had the job. Is crime really as bad as people say it is in Anchorage?
No, it's worse.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:54 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,183,834 times
Quote:
It’s bad enough that last night I heard a rumble that sounded like our new to is vehicle. I woke up and checked to make sure it was Not our vehicle being stolen. It wasn’t.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 AM

Can you elaborate on the crime any? That’s one reason to dissuade me from going, but I’ve read places like Eagle River, Palmer, and a few other areas are nice. It looks like those commutes are within an hour drive to Anchorage, but who knows with traffic.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:42 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,732,967 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the crime any? That’s one reason to dissuade me from going, but I’ve read places like Eagle River, Palmer, and a few other areas are nice. It looks like those commutes are within an hour drive to Anchorage, but who knows with traffic.
You didn't say where in Virginia you are at, but I'd take Anchorage over Norfolk any day.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 AM

I’m in Roanoke/Blacksburg. We have 4 seasons here. It’s hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter. Spring and Fall are the best seasons here. I feel very safe in Roanoke, although cars have been broken into at our work and we sometimes have trespassers. Lots of things to do if you’re outdoorsy, lots of breweries, coffee shops, music and events, etc. Honestly Roanoke is a great place to live but the atmosphere at the shop I work has gotten so bad I want to leave. I feel like with me being young I could do with the experience out there. I’ve always wanted to go and experience Alaska which is what made me pursue looking for a job there. I’d also love flying there. Alaska looks like no other place from the pictures I’ve seen.

I just want to make sure I can do everything I’m doing in Roanoke, too, like finish at community college and move up, fly, do everything I can do enjoy where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska