Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I can understand all the arguments for building roads, but understand that sooner or later that means the areas connected by it can and will become just like the over-developed lower 48, and there's no turning back from that point. So be careful what you wish for. And as oil climbs using those roads will become more expensive also, so you may find yourself in the same position you were in before the road eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:57 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
How would you like it if your fuel was barged in every summer/spring? Would you pay $5.76 a gallon for gas now? Things are expensive to ship/air freight here as we speak, that goes for all of bush Alaska.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
By all means, if a village truly wants a road, then they should have it. But what happens if their neighboring village doesn't want one, but the civil engineers determine that the most efficient route for that road is through their village anyway? Or if the real motivation is corporate and the people have just been bought and paid for at their own expense by the industry?

And as for trusting that a civil counsel of elders or town government will make the best decision for everyone, or completely think through all the possible inevitabilites... well, that might not always the wisest of decisions on our parts.

I often wonder, when hearing how great it is that McDonald's or Target or whatever, have come to town so that things will be so much easier to come by... how did the people in that area originally survive without them? Is the "need" for these commodities now actually caused by the infiltration of a "foreign" way of life with different values... a sort of orphaning and artificial dependency?

And as for understanding a bit more about Alaska and their pioneering spirit. Yep, I've lived there before and I'm aware of the particular environmental, financial and logistical problems it poses. Just because I live here in Seattle right now doesn't mean that I don't have intimate knowledge of other environments and cultures. As for true pioneering, you make due with what you have or figure out a way to make it yourself some other way... you absolutely do not rely on someone else to provide you with the basics when you have alternate materials already available to you.

I'm not saying that road access will be entirely horrific, but it could have a deleterious effect in the long run... so "buyer beware".

Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
People who have never actually lived for any length of time (a couple years or more) in a real bush community all seem to think that a road would be beneficial.

People who have actually lived in the bush pretty much all detest the idea of a road. That is less so today in the larger places such as here in Barrow than it was years ago, but it is still by far true for the majority.

To put it mildly, those who want to live in an urban area know exactly how to find one...

Old 06-14-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I agree with your point of view to a point, but only half-way after living in Alaska for nearly 30 years, and in the lower-48 before that. It's very difficult for a family with children, if not impossible at times, to survive in some places of Alaska without having to buy certain products. I understand that it's difficult for you to understand what I am referring to, but once you give Alaska a try you will understand.

We see folks from the lower-48 telling us what we can or can't do all the time, and this is the primary reason why a lot of Alaskans seem to be rude to newcomers and their attitude. I am just pointing out one of the first things of myself I changed when i arrived here with the military. Please understand that I am not being rude, just realistic. I came here from a big city in the lower-48, just like lots of Alaskans. A lot of us already know about roads, crime, overpopulation, etc.
I can understand what you're saying, no offense taken. I realize the outlook of someone with a family might be a bit different from some lone individual like myself who doesn't particularly care for modern civilization...I've just seen so much change brought about in other rural areas in VT and other parts of the northeast, by people who want more conveniences and such in rural areas, and the results aren't pretty. So keep in mind my attitude against rushing into development projects comes from my experiences...many projects sound great and might sound like the solution to all your problems, then the real results become apparent...what was once a nice rural area is just another suburb...

Old 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Arctichomsteader, where in Alaska are you moving to? I'd like to see you come out in live in Bush Alaska for a few years and then you'd see how it is like living out this way. I think the prices of everything would scare you away. Milk is 8 bucks a gallon, a loaf of bread is 3 dollars or so. I'm sure if things were shipped out here in a semi, the prices of everything would come down considerably. Don't put out development until you lived out here for a year or two. I've lived here all my life and I make due, it can be hard though. Juneau had to pay our prices for a few months in electricity bills because of the avalanches in the winter. They complained about the rise in price and that is normal for us out here in the bush. I'd love to see a road out this way.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Arctichomsteader, where in Alaska are you moving to? I'd like to see you come out in live in Bush Alaska for a few years and then you'd see how it is like living out this way. I think the prices of everything would scare you away. Milk is 8 bucks a gallon, a loaf of bread is 3 dollars or so. I'm sure if things were shipped out here in a semi, the prices of everything would come down considerably. Don't put out development until you lived out here for a year or two. I've lived here all my life and I make due, it can be hard though. Juneau had to pay our prices for a few months in electricity bills because of the avalanches in the winter. They complained about the rise in price and that is normal for us out here in the bush. I'd love to see a road out this way.
Near Manley Hot Springs, though further out is my future goal...

I never worried too much about the price of store bought bread, milk, etc. when I lived in a tent and then a tiny hunting cabin in the woods in northern VT, I didn't rely too much on the stores then (didn't have much money anyways to go there). Electric bills are not a problem when you have none. I have no intention of relying on the stores for everything or electricity in the future when I'm out in the woods again (this time in Alaska) either.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM

So, you're moving to a suburb of Fairbanks, nice.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So, you're moving to a suburb of Fairbanks, nice.
Not quite yet. It will be if the Elliott is improved and fully paved though, I'm sure. That ride can be quite the experience as it is right now, so it'll keep most daily commuters to Fairbanks away for the time being. My land is about a mile and a quarter from the road, access by a trail, somewhere around 140-150 miles from Fairbanks (I'd have to check the map to see the exact distance).

Oddly enough, I thought I might move West after a while spent there, but maybe I'll still look at Iksgiza Lake or thereabouts for the future, if they're planning more roads...

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not quite yet. It will be if the Elliott is improved and fully paved though, I'm sure. That ride can be quite the experience as it is right now, so it'll keep most daily commuters to Fairbanks away for the time being. My land is about a mile and a quarter from the road, access by a trail, somewhere around 140-150 miles from Fairbanks (I'd have to check the map to see the exact distance).

Oddly enough, I thought I might move West after a while spent there, but maybe I'll still look at Iksgiza Lake or thereabouts for the future, if they're planning more roads...
That sure isn't bush Alaska in my books. You will have access to the road system. We are 400 miles from the system. Come out and pay $5.76 a gallon for a while, better yet, go out to one of the local villages and pay $8 a gallon and no running water. Then you'll know what I'm talking about. Don't go praising about living in the bush when you are a mile from the highway system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska