Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM

329 posts, read 585,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
babyeeore, if the bridge gets build and you are visiting your friend in Wasilla, would you drive all the way around or take the bridge? What would happen if you or one of your family members flew to Ketchikan and the ferry taking them across to the town sank and they drowned, would you think otherwise?
At this point, on sheer principle alone, I wouldn't take "Don Young Way" if my life depended on it. While I would indeed care if my family lost their life in a ferry sinking (what kind of a question is THAT!?), should I expect others around the country to mourn to the point of diverting their tax dollars to build a bridge with little real value? I think it would show even more concern for the lost lives of my family members if Alaskans donated from their own tax dollar to build the Gravina bridge, you know, to make sure nothing like that ever happened again. If the bridge is THAT important...you don't need Don Young to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
...Did you know that because of Stevens and Al Gore, coupled to its former director, IARC was founded. IARC is the largest global international research center in the Northern hemisphere. Also, because of Stevens there are supercomputers at UAF. These computers are used by the USGS and National Weather, as well as the military, and all sorts of government agencies. The supercomputers are also used to analyze the so called "global warming" data collected by IARC scientists. Even NASA is actively involved in tests programs at the U.
The best part is that the IARC is one of the few places where you can go to get a real, objective perpective on the climate change debate. Even more ironic considering the Al Gore influence, but the founder, Dr. Akasofu, is one of the rare breed of researchers who are willing to stand up to the Politically Correct "Consensus" and point out (backing it up with hard data) that current climate changes are likely primarily due to natural cycles, with anthropogenic CO2 being a secondary modifier, not the primary cause.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
The best part is that the IARC is one of the few places where you can go to get a real, objective perpective on the climate change debate. Even more ironic considering the Al Gore influence, but the founder, Dr. Akasofu, is one of the rare breed of researchers who are willing to stand up to the Politically Correct "Consensus" and point out (backing it up with hard data) that current climate changes are likely primarily due to natural cycles, with anthropogenic CO2 being a secondary modifier, not the primary cause.
Hey, thank you for this information! Though I'm personally up in the air on AGW (I mean, all those guys with letters after their name say its real, so its GOT to be true, right), anything that adds a dissenting voice to the religion that is Gore can't be a bad thing. At any rate, please keep these coming.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Yes, he is a good and honest scientist. He retired already, and a new building at the Geophysical Institute was named "Akasofu" in his honor. He is quite a neat guy.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
Hey, thank you for this information! Though I'm personally up in the air on AGW (I mean, all those guys with letters after their name say its real, so its GOT to be true, right), anything that adds a dissenting voice to the religion that is Gore can't be a bad thing. At any rate, please keep these coming.
Although you may be an Alaskan with a political agenda, keep in mind that Mr. Akasofu founded IARC (with Stevens and All Gore's help). The data collected by the scientists while he was the director of IARC, did not show evidence of human-caused global warming, and so he said before he retired. Some scientists at IARC do not agree with him, of course, so you can listen to those instead.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Please, allow me to apologize. I was genuinely unaware that a portion of your pork would actually benefit that large a number of people. However, would it not be more cost effective to simply provide ferry service for those that live in Matanuska/Sisitna? That is your business, especially if only state funds are used. I realize you probably want that bridge very bad considering the fact you live in Wasilla. Perhaps now that Gravina has been axed you can reappropriate the funds necessary to carry that out.
"Ferry from the Matanuska/Susitna area" to Anchorage

I have a better idea: a "transporter," or perhaps a whole bunch of large transporters so "your ferry" doesn't get suck in the mud between Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-04-2008 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
"Ferry from the Matanuska/Susitna area" to Anchorage

I have a better idea: a "transporter," or perhaps a whole bunch of large transporters so "your ferry" doesn't get suck in the mud between Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley.
Oh, is it just a big mudflat? See, you know I'm not an Alaskan because I didn't know that! Also, what does Los Anchorage mean? Are there many hispanics in Anchorage? I didn't see many when I was there, so...Doesn't your huge mudflat kinda prove the point though that the land opposite Don Young Way is worthless?

Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Although you may be an Alaskan with a political agenda, keep in mind that Mr. Akasofu founded IARC (with Stevens and All Gore's help). The data collected by the scientists while he was the director of IARC, did not show evidence of human-caused global warming, and so he said before he retired. Some scientists at IARC do not agree with him, of course, so you can listen to those instead.
Sweet. Do you remember about what year Mr. Akasofu said that? I'm kind of a skeptic myself, so...And no, I'm not Alaskan. Just an ol' north state conservative who would appreciate Don Young no longer spending large amounts of federal dollars in irresponsible manners.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, he is a good and honest scientist. He retired already, and a new building at the Geophysical Institute was named "Akasofu" in his honor. He is quite a neat guy.
Yes, and it's an absolutely beautiful building too:

(Taken last January at -20F)

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 07-05-2008 at 02:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Sweet. Do you remember about what year Mr. Akasofu said that? I'm kind of a skeptic myself, so...And no, I'm not Alaskan. Just an ol' north state conservative who would appreciate Don Young no longer spending large amounts of federal dollars in irresponsible manners.
Here are some of his papers on the subject:

Syun-Ichi Akasofu

The new director hasn't taken them down yet, that's a good sign at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska