Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,104 times

Advertisements

Hello reader,

Hi my name is Matt I am 19 and a student at a local college. I quite frankly am bored and sick to death of The South/Texas (19 years of 110+ summers are getting old I would at least like to experience the other extreme) for multiple reasons. I was considering many places to eventually relocate after a years worth of time or so. Alaska is one of these places and I was wondering a few things.

1) How are newcomers seen? Id hate to reinforce negative stereotypes.
2) Are their any different things about the state? (other than the day night thing) Is their an unusual ratio of young to old or men to women?
3) Are their teaching opportunities ? I am looking to possibly teach Spanish.
4) What are your opinions on the word 'Hispanic'? I am a redheaded cuban of spanish (yes from spain) descent. Am I gonna get funny looks with a last name of Montoro Hernandez? (In many parts of Texas Spanish=Mexican)

Anything I should know?

I just really want/need a change of scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,917,833 times
What part of Alaska are you thinking about?

Since you're a student, you might want to consider coming up and working for a summer to get the feel of the place. There are lots of seasonal type jobs available. Check out Craig's List and Coolworks for listings. A lot of them provide housing for seasonal employees.

Are you thinking about transferring colleges? If so, you need to figure out which school has the best program for you and go from there.

I doubt you'll get any funny looks or anything.

About the ratio of men/women---among young people, especially during the summer, it's about equal.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,514,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinTX View Post
1) How are newcomers seen? Id hate to reinforce negative stereotypes.
That depends on what the newcomer brings with them. If they leave their lower-48 baggage in the lower-48, and are willing to learn a different culture and possibly even new skills, then they are welcomed openly and generously. If they bring their lower-48 problems with them, and impose lower-48 ideals upon Alaskans, then they will not be as welcome.

Quote:
2) Are their any different things about the state? (other than the day night thing) Is their an unusual ratio of young to old or men to women?
The ratio of men to women in Alaska is no different than any other state in the Union. A quick check of any city or town in Alaska with the Bureau of the Census will dispel that myth.

There are quite a lot of things different about Alaska than any other state in the Union. Too many to list them all, but some of them include: its size, the weather, and the wildlife.

Alaska is so large it has several different weather patterns, from the temperate rain forest of the panhandle to the Arctic desert of the north slope and everything in-between. Milder winter and summer conditions can be found around the coastal areas, while the interior has more extreme summer and winter temperatures.

Since you mentioned your desire "to experience the other extreme", perhaps the Fairbanks area might suit your needs. Summer temperatures can reach over 90°F and drop to -60°F in the winter.

Quote:
3) Are their teaching opportunities ? I am looking to possibly teach Spanish.
The Alaska Job Center Network is a good resource if you are looking for work. It covers the entire state.

Quote:
4) What are your opinions on the word 'Hispanic'? I am a redheaded cuban of spanish (yes from spain) descent. Am I gonna get funny looks with a last name of Montoro Hernandez? (In many parts of Texas Spanish=Mexican)
Alaskans come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Most are immigrants or descendent's of immigrants from other states, or even other countries. It is not your appearance or name that will get you the funny looks, but rather the attitude you have. Treat Alaska like it is something brand new, to be experienced for the first time without any preconceptions and you will get along famously with the vast majority.

Quote:
Anything I should know?

I just really want/need a change of scene
Have a Plan "B" handy. Establish certain conditions that have to be met by a certain date, and if they aren't, fall back on Plan "B". Alaska is not for everyone. While it may be fun and exciting while it is new, once that newness wears off, attitudes change.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Ya the summer internship idea sounds good. I will keep that in mind.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,255,030 times
Whatever you do, keep an open mind here and don't try to change anyone for you or from where you are from. Alaskans love the way they live their lives here and hate it when someone from the lesser 48 move here and try to change things around.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM

That isn't my intention I just want to experience something new. I am very excited about other cultures as where I am presently there is a lack therof.
I do not want to radically change anything just a breath of fresh air.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM

20,325 posts, read 37,338,266 times
You said that you are a student, and at 19 I can only assume "college student." If that's the case, look into the University of Alaska in Fairbanks (UAF). A great number of the students at UAF are from other States and countries. Consider engineering at the top of the list, and physics. UAF is one of the best around in relation to mining and oil engineering, electrical, civil, etc. Also, The International Arctic Research Center (IARC) is perhaps the most prolific and largest in the Northern Hemisphere. Lots of physicists are found there and at the Geophysical Institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska