Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times

Advertisements

Thats it I'm finding some. That would look good on the midnight blue minivan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I wish that were possible. I have to commute to Anchorage for work and that won't be an option unfortunately.
The advice to stay off the roads on the first snowfall is good. If you have to be on the road be ready for LOTS of ditch divers etc. Give yourself lots of extra space on the highway. Leave an hour early and you might still be late.

After the first couple snowfalls it's all back to normal. I can't figure it out, but it's the same every year.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,036 times
When I live in Fairbanks instead of getting studded tires I had my all weather tires "sipped", it gives very good traction on all surfaces, not all tire dealers will sipe tires.
During the summer months your tires will also run much cooler.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The advice to stay off the roads on the first snowfall is good. If you have to be on the road be ready for LOTS of ditch divers etc. Give yourself lots of extra space on the highway. Leave an hour early and you might still be late.

After the first couple snowfalls it's all back to normal. I can't figure it out, but it's the same every year.
Lol, I may have to fall "ill" when we get our first snowfall. I wouldn't mind sitting on my front porch with a hot toddy and enjoying it. I haven't seen snow since I left PA and God knows that there wasn't any last winter in the People's Republik.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Lol, I may have to fall "ill" when we get our first snowfall. I wouldn't mind sitting on my front porch with a hot toddy and enjoying it. I haven't seen snow since I left PA and God knows that there wasn't any last winter in the People's Republik.
then stand by to be pleasantly surprised in a couple of months....

Old 08-19-2008, 05:12 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Nothing finer than a day long snowstorm with those huge flakes just drifting down. I've sat in the woods many a time...just listening to the whisper of the snow falling.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Nothing finer than a day long snowstorm with those huge flakes just drifting down. I've sat in the woods many a time...just listening to the whisper of the snow falling.
I can't wait for the first heavy snow. Mr Daniels and I will become reacquainted, much to my wife's chagrin.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,134 times
It seems to me the topic kinda wandered there.
I really want to get some new winter tires, but I'm not wanting to jump onto the blizzak bandwagon. For one, the price, and for another, because I work for my friend on Moose Mt (outside Fairbanks), I'm guessing the gravel road would chew up those soft tires in one winter flat!

So I headed down to Walmart and saw the Pacemark Snowtracker for sale. They seem minimally sipped. I saw some reviews online which were favorable, but I have the sneaking suspicion that this is the kind of tire that turns into a solid lump of hard plastic at -20 so that you can't even drive up a 2% grade on packed snow. My current winter tires do precisely this and I am sick of having absolutely no traction on my boss's driveway.

So can anyone alleviate/confirm these suspicions?

Also I want to get another set of rims for these tires and I'm wondering if a more narrow tire p175 would be better in the snow than a p185. Generally this is the advice, but since we almost never have slushy snow, I'm not sure that this holds true for our dry snows.

I haven't checked yet what else is available in town, but I seem to find positive feedback online for the CT Goodyear Nordics and Nokian Hakkapeliitas....but once again these are for considerably warmer climates.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Well then go for a good quality all season radial with good tread cleaning. and lots of little lines or treads, consider siping for ice. A tire with good rain traction will be decent for ice. I would recommend staying away from Wild country tires. Have used them on work trucks and couldn't get out of my own way in the winter and out of any mud in the summer. Goodyears, Toyo, Yokohama have been good in the past, I see lots of Coopers on pickups. Don't forget the guy in Goldsteam that sells the Diamon brand tire. Though they are not to hot for high speed as the material they add for traction is not evenly spread so ballance at +55 might be an issue.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yeah, then the crashing sound of the snow sliding off the roof and the shovel is waiting for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska