Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 09:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You have sadly proved my point... You aren't "Alaskan" in spirit, the fact that you left a "Tea set" here is too bad. You are clearly where you need to be in life, and that is not here.

The fact that you got a lot of rep points does what for you? I wasn't making a statement in some kind of contest, I was pointing out a fact that you don't claim to be an "Alaskan", which is sad since you spent so much time here and never realized what you had.

Sorry to hear that family needs your presence because of health, but you clearly stated you are an "Oregonian", which is fine. You make no bones about being gone and that is fine too.

The thread is about the Term "Alaskan" and you have shown what an "Alaskan" isn't, someone who didn't want to be here in the first place. There are people that are born here and don't qualify for that honor of being an "Alaskan", they are just jerks that waste people's time and hurt others.
You say she is not Alaskan because she left a tea set...You have no idea what people have left wherever because they have to, do not belittle her because she went to be with family because she needed to do that - you have no idea who she is or what she stands for.... A tea set is what has been important to her, from another female - I have a lot of collections if I could retrieve I would, She left that and here for family because of a sick father, what would you do in that case???? I would be in her tracks and would do that even for my 84-year-old stepfather who is not blood, but he is my dad.... This talk is blasphemy for or from any native,or Alaskan - because family is first, except for maybe survival and she is doing what she needs to do at the moment, she never said she was not coming back home...

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-29-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: because
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
No, I was quoting what you had said. Nowhere did you say you wanted to return or even considered yourself "Alaskan", which is more of a state of mind than what the year long residency requirements are.

You did say you left "Stuff" here, that isn't what I was referring to.

The Thread was about the "Term Alaskan", not residency. There is a big difference in people that want to be here, those that had to leave but want to be here and those that want to come here, verses those that can't wait to leave, or stay and don't want to be here.

If my parents were ill "Outside" and I went to help, I would be an "Alaska" until I am planted in the ground... it isn't an insult not to be an "Alaskan" either, it is just a badge of honor that people have, you wish to wear one that states you are an "Oregonian", that is fine, but we weren't talking residency status. I have no problems with that, I just wish those that are here that carry that banner of someplace else would go back to where ever their heart is at. Too many people are here that don't want to be or are here only for the money a job gives them, that basically makes them a W*o*e of some kind for the money, not the joy of doing what they want.

She said nothing about residency other than doing what she needed for her family after being provoked - left her life here to be with her family!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
I'm sorry I never meant this post to cause conflict. I do know from talking with Met in the Forums she's still got some Alaskan in her . And it doesn't matter, we are ALL people regardless where we come from. But it is true that when newcomers "immediately" call themselves an Alaskan, it is somewhat phoney. Not bashing anyone here. I've never felt the need to broadcast to anyone that I'm an Alaskan. I love Alaska, but by birth I am an Ohioan also and proudly admit that. Sometimes it appears that by calling so much attention to the "calling one self an Alaskan" that there is something to prove. There is nothing to prove; it makes none of us any better then anyone from any of the lower 48 States. Yeah some of the Lower 48 States really suck, however, no place is perfect. I've seen the crime grow up here and the influx of people to the point it makes me really sad. And I say influx of people because it is changing the face of Alaska.

Just my last few days of work there was ongoing chatter about what born in Alaska folks considered true Alaskans. And, Met, I know what you mean about your tea set but it takes a woman to understand those things; seems men don't get sentimental over keep-sakes. I know my husband sure doesn't.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
You say she is not Alaskan because she left a tea set...
My tea set is in excellent hands.

I also left my truck and my land, which starlite conveniently left out. In excellent hands as well.

And that's because I'll probably be back next year just in time to jack up the price of king salmon to the Manhattanites

Thanks, Granny. But his delusional comments can't take a thing away from me. It's very much in me to love both places, and I wouldn't trade this time for the world.

Oregon has always been in my heart and always will be. My grandfather was a botanist as well. My first memories include walking with him in these mountains and him telling me the Latin names for the wildflowers.

Nonetheless, the North has always had my soul. And I don't need the label of "Alaskan" to justify that.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM

Thanks Pat---sorry to create conflict here but I'm on a roll now because I'm sick and tired of the fact that valuable contributors have left this forum because of attacks by starlite and his kind.

They can "bring it on", as dreamer says in her ever so eloquent trailer parkese.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that he said that he's been there all of his life except for military obligations. But to me he sounds more like a transplant with the "I'm an Alaskan" syndrome. I've seen way too much of that in my time. But I really have no reason to disbelieve that he's spent most of his life in the state; I'm certainly not going to begin trying to say that he really lives on the east coast the way he did when he couldn't hang in a debate with Floyd.

Back to the original question, it's my belief that it takes more than simply proclaiming that you are an "Alaskan" to really be one. It takes more than living in Wasilla or Anchorage for a year or two, which are more like the lower 48 these days than certain parts of the lower 48. I met someone last year who insisted on calling herself an "Alaskan" even though she'd never spent so much as one winter month in the North. She'd been there a few summers, and said that she qualified as an Alaskan because she spent a couple of winters in Maine when she was a child. Uh huh.

Another poster said it very well...nightphoenix I think. That person said something about a "Northern gene" that you either have or don't have. But in some people, it's a recessive gene.
I totally spaced this part out! There aren't many people who CAN hang in with Floyd when he's on a roll. I've 'known' him since the old alt.culture.alaska days, and it was tough going even then. And could he ever get riled with idiots.

That woman needs an attitude adjustment. Maine is nothing like Alaska, and I've known people from Maine who said so. As for Wasilla and Anchorage, well, there's a reason why so many people refer to Anchortown as Los Anchorage. In fact, there's a subdivision in Kodiak known locally as Little Anchorage. Big houses, tiny lots.

I guess I must have a 'Northern gene' - my father's family was from Oklahoma, but he was born on Chilkoot Pass, middle of a family picnic, or so I heard.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
That woman needs an attitude adjustment. Maine is nothing like Alaska, and I've known people from Maine who said so.
Just another example of why Starlite's definition of an "Alaskan" doesn't fly. He seems to believe that all it takes is for someone to decide to define themselves that way.

Quote:
I guess I must have a 'Northern gene' - my father's family was from Oklahoma, but he was born on Chilkoot Pass, middle of a family picnic, or so I heard.
What time of year was it?

Floyd on a roll is definitely an awesome thing to behold. He and I have scrapped, but he scraps with integrity, unlike a couple of newcomers here that I will mention. Those people would be starlite and dreamer8. When they can't hang they start fabricating bs and making silly claims such as being threatened.

Dreamer8, I don't make threats.

Now you spouted something about me being a liberal feminist. In reality I'm fairly conservative Democrat and have little interest in feminist philosophy.

I didn't have to pop out a bunch of kids to prove that, though. I got it right the first time.

Yeah. Bring it on.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-29-2008 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks Pat---sorry to create conflict here but I'm on a roll now because I'm sick and tired of the fact that valuable contributors have left this forum because of attacks by starlite and his kind.

They can "bring it on", as dreamer says in her ever so eloquent trailer parkese.
Nothing to be sorry for Met. I respect that you are always to the point; no beating around the bush. I've had differences with some posters. LOL at the "bring it on." What's the other saying I've heard....."You better step back." LMAO. You stand up for yourself, nothing wrong with that. Trust me, I have to watch this mouth of mine at times. I know people coming up here are excited because it is different, (for now anyway), but I'm not sure they realize it can be irritating with some of their Alaskan comments. When I arrived here I never gave it a thought. I just knew I loved this place and was not worried about what I or anyone else called me, well within reason here. . So now I quess I'm 1/2 Alaskan and 1/2 Ohioan, same as the others who have come here, they are still 1/2 of their birthplace and raising.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-29-2008 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Pat - you did not do anything.. Only posted something interesting...and it went from there. - this will happen no matter what the subject.. the strong will prevail....You just try to be happy and have a safe trip!!!Know you will be back, because best let us know how it went!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM

LOL, that's a good way to put it.

I think that Alaska has become a "trend" to quite a few people. And it draws those who want to belong somewhere, I guess. I just think it's a bit low class for them to be so in your face about being an "Alaskan".

Well, dreamer8, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how I threatened you. You really shouldn't make accusations that you can't back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska