Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Soccer mom to VP in a few years? Not bad and as they say, only in America!...
Not much different than Left Wing Radical to "mainstream" Presidential Candidate in the same period of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Sarah Palin

I'm a Romney girl and disappointed he didn't get the nod but I've just watched some older interviews with Sarah Palin. She seems to have a good command of the English language and chooses her words well.

What is her background prior to being governor?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Her background...let's see, I believe that she was one of the runners up in the Miss Alaska pageant back in the 80's sometime.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Not much different than Left Wing Radical to "mainstream" Presidential Candidate in the same period of time!
Exactly what I was thinking!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM

39 posts, read 97,395 times
I would guess her approval ratings in Alaska are very high. She's made a real point of cleaning up some of the "good 'ol boy's" image and has taken a very strong stand on ethics. She's focused on a gas pipeline and other energy matters. I don't know her stand in some areas but from what I've seen in the last two years I've been pleased with.

I'm not a Republican but It's at least convinced me that I need to take a second look at McCain to see if there are things there I could live with. With his age you may be looking at the first woman president..... Plus.... she's easy on the eyes.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
Palin's exactly what the Republican party needs. I like how she kept AK from being dependent on big oil companies (including foreign oil(?)), so she may have good ideas to solve the country's energy crisis. But AK has a vastly different infrastructure from the other 49. I hear the state is wealthy beyond one's dreams.

She will be Obama's foil just as Biden is to McCain. Palin as the CiC? Feels more comfortable than H. Clinton.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
The GOP just took away from themselves the "Obama has no experience" arguement.
I'm guessing they can spin it as she's in a better position for on the job training.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
[quote=Tundra Tired;5044634]I would guess her approval ratings in Alaska are very high. She's made a real point of cleaning up some of the "good 'ol boy's" image and has taken a very strong stand on ethics. She's focused on a gas pipeline and other energy matters. I don't know her stand in some areas but from what I've seen in the last two years I've been pleased with.

I'm not a Republican but It's at least convinced me that I need to take a second look at McCain to see if there are things there I could live with. With his age you may be looking at the first woman president..... Plus.... she's easy on the eyes.[/QUOTE]

Okay except for that last sexist comment..lol Good post for us who don't know much about her, thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would disagree. When it comes to executive experience, there's a world of difference between running a congressional office of a dozen people and running an entire state government.
I would say being in politics on a national level gives more experience dealing with national and international leaders and issues than being governor of Alaska for 2 years.

After McCain chastised Obama for not picking Clinton, and trying to "woo" these voters, this seems to be a clumsy attempt for him to say, "you didn't pick the woman, I did". Trying to gender balance the ticket, while being very short on experinece. The VP job generally has international duties, and throwing a lightweight in there is not going to help him. Obama picked someone who balanced out his weak points, she barely helps McCain's weak points. Being pro choice will not woo disinfranchised Clinton supporters.

Although she may be a reformer, Alaska is not the biggest state and oil is not the only concern on the voters minds. In fact, more people are for alternate forms.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I would say being in politics on a national level gives more experience dealing with national and international leaders and issues than being governor of Alaska for 2 years.

After McCain chastised Obama for not picking Clinton, and trying to "woo" these voters, this seems to be a clumsy attempt for him to say, "you didn't pick the woman, I did". Trying to gender balance the ticket, while being very short on experinece. The VP job generally has international duties, and throwing a lightweight in there is not going to help him. Obama picked someone who balanced out his weak points, she barely helps McCain's weak points. Being pro choice will not woo disinfranchised Clinton supporters.

Although she may be a reformer, Alaska is not the biggest state and oil is not the only concern on the voters minds. In fact, more people are for alternate forms.
Well, I'm not sure how touring European capitals to wave at adulating crowds constitutes foreign policy experience. And, given how he had only been in office two years before running for President, I'm not sure how many foreign policy committee meetings he's sat on. His experience consists of being briefed by handpicked foreign policy experts. Not exactly what I would term to be comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska