Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 48,742 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a chance to live and work in any of these three places. Which one
would you choose? Ive read up a little bit on each one. Seems like Juneau gets a lot of rain, and is grey most of the time. Is this true? Does it snow there? How do you cope?
I really don't know much about Homer and Kenai. I know for one thing that there
is some luxury home construction going on. I do know that both these cities population is right around 5000? correct? And it doesn't get as much precipitation as juneau.

I used to live in Fairbanks a long time ago when I was a kid. I have fond memories of it. Just feel Alaska is calling me back, it has for years. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

If any of you want, you can ask me anything about Las Vegas,and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Thank's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Kenai will be slightly colder than Homer in winter...but Homer has better scenery!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM

205 posts, read 740,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastfood View Post
Seems like Juneau gets a lot of rain, and is grey most of the time. Is this true? Does it snow there? How do you cope?
You don't cope. You go stark raving mad.

Last two summers, counting this one, it's been extraordinarily hard to find some sun, ever, if you're stuck in weekday indoor work.

Yes, nice days are ones that are dry but not raining, walking in the pouring rain's nice too (did it today), but the extreme rarity of feeling the warmth of direct sunlight on your skin is finally getting to me this year. It didn't used to be quite this bad, it seems.

And yes, we get plenty of snow. Comes in humungus heaps, with periods of not much snow or just plain rain, or a week-to-three of frozen weather -- now THERE"s when we see some sunshine!

Last edited by Alice2; 07-21-2008 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention snow

Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,147 times
What's important to you? Weather? Scenery? Bigger population?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Kenai will be slightly colder than Homer in winter...but Homer has better scenery!
I like scenery! Thank's Rance.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
You don't cope. You go stark raving mad.

Last two summers, counting this one, it's been extraordinarily hard to find some sun, ever, if you're stuck in weekday indoor work.

Yes, nice days are ones that are dry but not raining, walking in the pouring rain's nice too (did it today), but the extreme rarity of feeling the warmth of direct sunlight on your skin is finally getting to me this year. It didn't used to be quite this bad, it seems.

And yes, we get plenty of snow. Comes in humungus heaps, with periods of not much snow or just plain rain, or a week-to-three of frozen weather -- now THERE"s when we see some sunshine!
Sorry, to here that Alice. I feel almost the exact opposite here in Vegas.......almost. With the abundance and monotonous sunshine. We like it when we get overcast, it's something completely different. If it wasn't so hot in summer, I would like the sun more.Obviously. Being I work outside does not help.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
What's important to you? Weather? Scenery? Bigger population?
Well,Cobolt. I think Juneau is out because I don't think I could handle THAT much rain. So weather is a factor.

Like my previous post, I like scenery. Being here in Las Vegas we don't get much scenery besides the brown mountains that surround us.

Population, we live in a mini L.A. here in Vegas. I would like to get away from that. So the smaller populations in Alaska would be nice.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastfood View Post
Well,Cobolt. I think Juneau is out because I don't think I could handle THAT much rain. So weather is a factor.
When you start hearing locals complain, you know it has to be bad. I remember one summer where the sun came out only 4 days and maybe another 10-12 days where it didn't rain at some point that summer. This summer is looking to match or beat that year. The scenery is great here though.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,147 times
I personally love Juneau, but you're right about the rain and clouds. Every so often there is a fluke summer (like 2005) but for the most part, SE AK is all about the rain.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 PM

I think I am leaning towards Kenai. Can anyone give me more details about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska