Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,012 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My family and i are currently living in the north Georgia mountains, but i am originally from upstate New York. MY husband is a police officer and i have been working 911 dispatch for almost 9 years. We are searching for somewhere in Alaska that may have a need for both. The only glitch is, i am expecting and so i really dont want to be too far from a decent hospital for giving birth to our newest addition.(he isn't due until April). Are there places that we should steer clear of? and also, how much of a hassle is it to travel the AMH system? or is it? would it be easier to pull a u haul? a camper? or are they even allowed? any help would be appreciated. also, i ve been trying to compare cost of living vs. salary, any links would be greatly appreciated. i realize cost of living varies depending on location, but i am clueless as to where to look. thanks again for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM

are there schools in Sandy point Alaska? I have home schooled my kids before so am no stranger to that, buti realize that the population is small. any info would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
Default Anchorage is a good place to start

The current pay rate for Anchorage Police Officers is $27.02 per hour for new recruits, $28.45 per hour for lateral officers. They seem to be always looking and recruiting and have actually gone to the lower 48 to look for recruits.
www.muni.org/JOL/

I’ve seen dispatch positions quite frequently too. Not sure of the pay.

The AMH system is very nice. You’ll still have a long drive from Haines though.

Anchorage has some very good medical facilities. Three major hospitals with one being federal, primarily for Alaska Natives. Really anyone with a BIA card can utilize the fed one.

This web site is from a publication from the Alaska Dept of Labor. It includes cost of living comparisons.
www.labor.state.ak.us/research/col/col.pdf

Last edited by Chilkoot; 09-09-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
You said Sandy Point...do you mean Sand Point. If so, yes there are schools. But that would be such a shock coming from Georgia that I would advise you not to do it.

I like Sand Point myself...but I'm an Alaskan. There are basically no trees there, it is windy and rainy a lot.

It's a LONG way from anywhere. You really need to fly in and out although the ferry does go there. The ferry that goes down the Alaska Peninsula is not like your normal ferry. I just typed the directions into googlemaps...here is the link It's a kick.

It's about a 440 mile ferry trip across the top of the North Pacific. Take your dramamine.

Whoops...I missed the 153 mile ferry trip to Kodiak first...so it's about a 600 mile ferry ride over some of the wildest waters in the world.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

58 posts, read 169,368 times
I live on fort greely- 90 miles southeast of fairbanks. our post is different than most in that our streets (all 3 of them aren't patrolled by MP's but by DA police- if u guys might be interested in living down this way. but as far as the whole pregnancy issue, expectant mother's down here go to fairbanks and "nest" (stay at the hotel on fort wainwright) until they have theyre baby. there are a lot of guys whose families live between here and fairbanks - Salcha is nice, they have a school and its closer to fairbanks and the hospital for u. and north pole, which is about 20-30 minutes outside fairbanks. im from western NC. my husband and i drove up here back in january. but it was just him and i in our toyota highlander. we love it though! its absolutely gorgeous!! with 8 kids i wouldnt get too far out away from fairbanks or a city. within a few hours of anchorage is palmer and wasilla- theyre both decent. let me know what other questions u have and if i dont know the answer ill check into it for u. if you're driving definitely get The Milepost! lifesaver for sure! tells you everything between great falls montana up through canada and all over alaska, mile for mile.

~Carrie

Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 PM

thanks to everyone for all your help. thanks Marty for the info on Sand Point, you are right, probably not the place to start out straight from Georgia.
Carrie, can you tell me where i can get The Milepost from?
and Chil, thanks for the links! looked at them all! still learning sooo much. who knows, we may be Alaska residents within the year!!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackwell View Post
within a few hours of anchorage is palmer and wasilla- theyre both decent.

~Carrie
Um... Wasilla & Palmer are about 45 minutes away from Anchorage.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Um... Wasilla & Palmer are about 45 minutes away from Anchorage.
If the Glenn is clear.

Throw in one or more of: ice, fog, heavy snow, a wandering Moose, a ditch diver, etc, and it often turns into a parking lot during rush hour.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
If the Glenn is clear.

Throw in one or more of: ice, fog, heavy snow, a wandering Moose, a ditch diver, etc, and it often turns into a parking lot during rush hour.
That's very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska