Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:33 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

Hummmmm, gettin' a bit bugged by all the smut-seekers are we Rotor?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
My second-cousins friends housekeepers husband knows a guy that plays poker with the fella that takes out the trash from a restaurant that Sara Palin once ate at with her family back in the eighties...and the waitress that used to work with the busboy that cleaned the dishes from the table that was next to the one they ate at said that she only tipped fifteen percent! Well, I mean, her husband also left a couple of bucks cash too... but can you believe it? She's obviously totally unsuitable for the Whitehouse based on this obviously shrill and vindictive incident.

And there you have it, you can run right back to your hot little "progressive liberal" flaming hate-blog with this juicy bombshell and let your fingers fly over that keyboard. Absolute proof (by blog standards, anyway).
See I knew it!!!!

Rotor, thanks so much for the inside scoop on that one.. I heard about that from a friend whose brother was in Fairbanks. He was talking to his hunting guide who told him that he talked to a waitress whose friend was the waitress who got that small tip. Oh, it was only 13% not 15% and it was in 1983..

You right there is no way I am voting for her...

Let the games begin! BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA This could be a lot of fun...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Never met Palin, and haven't read all the posts, but plan to do so.

Palin reminds me a lot of Maggie Thatcher. She's already an iron lady - Give her a few years, you'll see.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Since she is against sex education in schools combined with the fact that her teenaged daughter is pregnant, it is valid to ask to get her feelings on this issue.

We’ve had 20 months to question Obama. We only have 57 days to question Palin and it’s obvious by the statement Rick Davis, McCain's campaign manager made today, he admits that she is not ready. He told Fox News today that Palin wouldn't subject herself to any tough questions from reporters "until the point in time when she'll be treated with respect and deference” and said Palin would do interviews, "When we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it."

If she’s not comfortable now, when will she be? Does the same go for a crisis she’ll have to manage? She’ll address it when she’s comfortable? Fact is she should have been making the rounds on the Sunday talk show circuit this past weekend, but she’s not ready to do so as their own campaign admitted.

If she’s not ready for that, she’s not ready for the job.

And I though McCain was making this election about experience. Now it’s about change. I thought that was the Democrats motto. And how do you get change from someone who’s been in Washington for 27 years? And executive experience; 3 of the 4 in the election don’t have any, including the top of each ticket. So if you’re counting the fact that Obama has no executive experience against him, count it against McCain as well.

And what about that bridge to nowhere? Now that people have had a chance to investigate this, it seems that she was “for it before she was against it”. Now where have we heard that before, hmmmm…. And telling Congress, “thanks, but no thanks” was more like “thanks” as she kept the earmark from that project.

FactCheck.org: GOP Convention Spin, Part II

Obama is not attacking his opponents children. The press has valid questions to ask her since she is against sex education in schools and her teenaged daughter is pregnant. But the questions are too uncomfortable for her. Either the campaign is too worried that she can’t adequately provide answers some of these questions on her own, or she can’t stand the heat, because she won’t go in the kitchen.
do you really thin, put Obama is the same situation, suddenly thrown into the spotlight he would have been ready for total exporsure. Rick Davis (by the way, he used to work for my husband) didn't say she would not do interviews, he said until the media backs off some. That could be tomorrow for all you know....Taking things out of context is never a good idea.

Nita

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
has anyone bothered to read the stories that point out Palin and the RNC efforts to forget the facts of her actions as mayor and govenor in lieu and wrap them up in a cloak of invisibility like Harry Potter's so no one will see or hear about how she did support the Road to Nowhere until other people/public turned against it (but she kept the money allocated for it)
that she did hire lobbyists to promoter her town and Alaska's interests in Washington
that she did accept earmark money -- that Wasilia/Alaska residents have benefitted greatly from those earmarks...
that while she may have put that plane on Ebay--it was not sold on Ebay--a deal was engineered using a professional broker and it was sold to someone who was significant contributer to Republican party in Alaska...AND it was not JUST the govenor's plane--it was used primarily to ferry prisoners from Alaska to states like AZ (McCain's state) where they contract to farm them out for incarceration since Alaska won't pay to build enough prisons to take care of their criminals...

that the role of the govenor in Alaska is more figurehead than active politician--much like that of the TX govenor's job that Bush coasted through--that Palin basically rubber stamps or vetos laws that the legislature creates, modifies, and passes...she has little to do with actually making decisions that govern Alaskans...

that the woman who was a chef for the govenor is still on the Alaskan payroll and STILL working as a cook--eventhough her title may not sound anything like it...

I just think what she is saying is definitely designed to make her APPEAR as something that is very marketable to much of the religious right in the Republican party and the other undecided people in US---that she has KNOWINGLY lied about her actions and beliefs in a crafted plan to deceive voters into thinking they are getting something they are not---
Basically Sarah Palin is a true party hack --and except for the fact that she is fairly young to be govenor and is a woman who turned in some people in her party for financial irregularities (because they were probably a threat to her politically more than for violating ethical boundaries)--Alaska is a Republican state with strong party system that was behind Palin all the way---she is not a maverick--- in any way, shape or form...that is just marketing...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do you really thin, put Obama is the same situation, suddenly thrown into the spotlight he would have been ready for total exporsure. Rick Davis (by the way, he used to work for my husband) didn't say she would not do interviews, he said until the media backs off some. That could be tomorrow for all you know....Taking things out of context is never a good idea.
Hypotheticals are fun but we should look instead at what actually happened. Obama was a candidate in the Democratic primary for many months, just as McCain was in the Republican primary, and voters got to see them and hear them talk about beliefs and accomplishments and proposals. Obama chose Biden as his VP - Biden's been around forever, he hit the campaign trail, he did interviews .... just as other VP candidates before him.

Palin was a surprise. She made one hell of an impact at the Republican convention, and is very good at making speeches (better than McCain, that's for sure). But it is precisely because she was a surprise, and for most of the country a complete unknown, that the press (legitimate and tabloid) has been in a feeding frenzy.

Frankly, the sooner she starts doing serious interviews with mainstream news organizations (print, TV, radio, Web), the better. Absent words from the person herself, you know some people will just make up stuff, or misinterpret stuff, or spin stuff like crazy.

Personally, I'd like to see her answer some serious questions about her record as mayor and as governor, and about her beliefs, and views, and thoughts about the future of this country. Speeches are fine, but they don't go nearly far enough in informing voters. Interviews have the benefit of allowing follow-up questions, so that when someone says "I was against that", the interviewer can follow up with "Yes, but prior to being against it, you were for it, isn't that correct", and everyone benefits from getting the whole story, and not just clever soundbites.

Meanwhile, the press is digging, and they're finding stuff. Just this morning the Washington Post had an article: Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home. If she's truly a reformer, and if she has really gone after wasteful spending in Alaska, I'd like to see her answer a question about the 312 nights she spent at home that she claimed a per diem charge for, wouldn't you? I traveled a bit for work, and often got per diem, but that was for traveling away from home, not spending the night at home.

Palin made a really good first impression on a lot of people. But voters have only a few weeks to get to know as much as they need to know about Palin to make an informed decision, and each day that goes by shortens the time frame voters have. I don't think that's good for the country, to ask voters to choose based on very skimpy factual information.

If she can't face serious questions, how can she face serious problems as the Vice-President of the United States?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Hypotheticals are fun but we should look instead at what actually happened. Obama was a candidate in the Democratic primary for many months, just as McCain was in the Republican primary, and voters got to see them and hear them talk about beliefs and accomplishments and proposals. Obama chose Biden as his VP - Biden's been around forever, he hit the campaign trail, he did interviews .... just as other VP candidates before him.

Palin was a surprise. She made one hell of an impact at the Republican convention, and is very good at making speeches (better than McCain, that's for sure). But it is precisely because she was a surprise, and for most of the country a complete unknown, that the press (legitimate and tabloid) has been in a feeding frenzy.

Frankly, the sooner she starts doing serious interviews with mainstream news organizations (print, TV, radio, Web), the better. Absent words from the person herself, you know some people will just make up stuff, or misinterpret stuff, or spin stuff like crazy.

Personally, I'd like to see her answer some serious questions about her record as mayor and as governor, and about her beliefs, and views, and thoughts about the future of this country. Speeches are fine, but they don't go nearly far enough in informing voters. Interviews have the benefit of allowing follow-up questions, so that when someone says "I was against that", the interviewer can follow up with "Yes, but prior to being against it, you were for it, isn't that correct", and everyone benefits from getting the whole story, and not just clever soundbites.

Meanwhile, the press is digging, and they're finding stuff. Just this morning the Washington Post had an article: Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home. If she's truly a reformer, and if she has really gone after wasteful spending in Alaska, I'd like to see her answer a question about the 312 nights she spent at home that she claimed a per diem charge for, wouldn't you? I traveled a bit for work, and often got per diem, but that was for traveling away from home, not spending the night at home.

Palin made a really good first impression on a lot of people. But voters have only a few weeks to get to know as much as they need to know about Palin to make an informed decision, and each day that goes by shortens the time frame voters have. I don't think that's good for the country, to ask voters to choose based on very skimpy factual information.

If she can't face serious questions, how can she face serious problems as the Vice-President of the United States?
I am not totally argueing with you on this: do I believe everything the papers say? No, as for the Washington Post, I haven't seen the article. Let's see what comes from this. Yes, we do need to know more about her. My comment is more about the media attacks on her. Whether liberal or conservative I think we all have to admit, the print media leans left.
Even though the polls were fairly even prior to the conventions I think most, especially the media thought Obama would walk into the White house, now less than 2 weeks later things have turned and the democrats don't know quite how to react. Am I happy? As a republican, sure I am. Do I see your side, yes, I do. Everyone needs to know a little more about her stands on some things, but not about her personal life...

Nita

ps, where in No Va do you live? We lived in So Alexandria for 7 years.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
SO, what do you say lets consolidate all the "he said/she said" pro-this/anti-that Obama/Palin/McCain stuff on one thread...this one. That way we can concentrate all the hyperbole and vitriol in one location and leave the rest of the forum available for the usual repetitive questions about "here's absolutely no information about me at all, where should I move to?" and "how much does a loaf of gas cost?"
Are you sure you aren't really LT in disguise?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Rotor's rotor has rotated one too many times.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM

734 posts, read 2,617,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
SO, what do you say lets consolidate all the "he said/she said" pro-this/anti-that Obama/Palin/McCain stuff on one thread...this one. That way we can concentrate all the hyperbole and vitriol in one location and leave the rest of the forum available for the usual repetitive questions about "here's absolutely no information about me at all, where should I move to?" and "how much does a loaf of gas cost?"

Not to mention that it'll make things SO much easier for all the brand-new "posters" who are only here to troll for dirt on Palin in and among us "northwoods hicks and backwards red-staters". Heck, since there's not even three-quarters of a million Alaskans and the states only a bit over half a million square miles, we MUST know all the dirty little secrets about Palin since we live here.

Heck, I'll even throw out this shocking allegation from an uninpeachably reliable source.

Ready? Here it comes...

My second-cousins friends housekeepers husband knows a guy that plays poker with the fella that takes out the trash from a restaurant that Sara Palin once ate at with her family back in the eighties...and the waitress that used to work with the busboy that cleaned the dishes from the table that was next to the one they ate at said that she only tipped fifteen percent! Well, I mean, her husband also left a couple of bucks cash too... but can you believe it? She's obviously totally unsuitable for the Whitehouse based on this obviously shrill and vindictive incident.

And there you have it, you can run right back to your hot little "progressive liberal" flaming hate-blog with this juicy bombshell and let your fingers fly over that keyboard. Absolute proof (by blog standards, anyway).
The sad thing is that this will probably turn up on Fox News Channel or something like that by tonight. Or a campaign ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska