Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times

Advertisements

OK, akvarmit is planning our night stops from Haines to Anchorage. She has my head spinning right now so please bear with me.. Remember, we are NOT in a hurry to get from Haines to Anchorage.

Is this reasonable mileage for road conditions at the end of October?

We also need pet friendly places to stay..

Day One:

Haines to Haines Junction to Beaver Creek (328 Miles)
Day Two:

Beaver Creek to Glennallen (248 Miles)

Day Three:

Glennallen to Anchorage (179 Miles)

If someone has some suggestion for the trip such as places to stay or not to stay please let us know..

We heard that it's not like jumping on interstate 95 and going 80 so this is our current plan.

Crossfire, loosing his mind one varmit at a time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
The first section of your trip is going to likely be the toughest. I don't know when you get off the ferry but if it is late in the day you might want to make the trip only to Haines Junction, then to Tok, then to Anchorage.

We usually just play it by ear. We don't make reservations...just go.

As far as pet friendly places...it's not like you have a lot of choices of places to stay in those locations. There might be a couple choices in Glennallen.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The first section of your trip is going to likely be the toughest. I don't know when you get off the ferry but if it is late in the day you might want to make the trip only to Haines Junction, then to Tok, then to Anchorage.

We usually just play it by ear. We don't make reservations...just go.

As far as pet friendly places...it's not like you have a lot of choices of places to stay in those locations. There might be a couple choices in Glennallen.
Marty,

Thanks, we get off the ferry at 1:00 and thought we would just spend the afternoon and evening in Haines then leave the next day..

Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
When we drove this summer, it took about 8 hours to get from Haines to Tok, averaging about 60 mph. It will likely be a bit slower in October, depending on snow or icy conditions, but the road is plowed and should be in good shape.

As Marty said, your ferry arrival in Haines will determine your starting schedule. Looking at the ferry schedule, the Malaspina gets into Haines around noon. I'd drive to Haines Jct (2-3.5 hour drive). the first day. Sometimes the ferry gets delayed, so if it arrives after 4 or 5 pm, I'd stay in Haines. We stayed at the Captain's Choice Motel, which says it's pet friendly. Haven't stayed in Haines Jct., but the Alcan Motor Inn says it's pet friendly.

FYI, cabins are not available on the Malaspina. The ferry was taken out of service and then put back into service as a day ferry. I think they mothballed the cabins when they took it out of service. Right now, it's replacing the Columbia which had a generator problem this summer.

From Haines Jct., I'd go to Tok (5-7 hours), mainly because there are more accommodations there. A place to eat is Fast Eddy's and Young's Motel is next to the restaurant (register for motel in restaurant). I believe Young's is pet friendly. There is also Burnt Paw & Cabins Outback which is pet friendly.

From Tok, it's about 6 hours to Anchorage, so you can make it in a day. I wouldn't make reservations since your starting time is dependent on the ferry. That shouldn't be a problem since the tourist season is over then. Make sure you have a health certificate for your pet since it might be requested at the ferry and border crossings.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
The Caribou Hotel in Glennallen is a nice place to stay. Not too expensive, with a restaurant nearby.

187 Glenn Hwy
Glennallen, AK 99588
(907) 822-3302
http://www.caribouhotel.com/

They serve a nice caribou steak with breakfast.

Also, you might want to stop at milepost 100 on the Glenn Highway on your way into Anchorage for a nice view of the Matanuska Glacier.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
When I was there AKDOT was doing construction on Glenn Hwy & it was shut down from midnight to 6am every night. You may want to double check & make sure that you will not be on it when its closed.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
When we drove this summer, it took about 8 hours to get from Haines to Tok, averaging about 60 mph. It will likely be a bit slower in October, depending on snow or icy conditions, but the road is plowed and should be in good shape.

As Marty said, your ferry arrival in Haines will determine your starting schedule. Looking at the ferry schedule, the Malaspina gets into Haines around noon. I'd drive to Haines Jct (2-3.5 hour drive). the first day. Sometimes the ferry gets delayed, so if it arrives after 4 or 5 pm, I'd stay in Haines. We stayed at the Captain's Choice Motel, which says it's pet friendly. Haven't stayed in Haines Jct., but the Alcan Motor Inn says it's pet friendly.

FYI, cabins are not available on the Malaspina. The ferry was taken out of service and then put back into service as a day ferry. I think they mothballed the cabins when they took it out of service. Right now, it's replacing the Columbia which had a generator problem this summer.

From Haines Jct., I'd go to Tok (5-7 hours), mainly because there are more accommodations there. A place to eat is Fast Eddy's and Young's Motel is next to the restaurant (register for motel in restaurant). I believe Young's is pet friendly. There is also Burnt Paw & Cabins Outback which is pet friendly.

From Tok, it's about 6 hours to Anchorage, so you can make it in a day. I wouldn't make reservations since your starting time is dependent on the ferry. That shouldn't be a problem since the tourist season is over then. Make sure you have a health certificate for your pet since it might be requested at the ferry and border crossings.
I think we were on the Malaspina. We did end up paying for a four berth cabin verses a two berth since they were all taken up..

Somehow, winging it, without reservations makes me a bit nervous but you folks live there and know...

Old 09-25-2008, 02:00 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
If you are leaving early in the morning, I second the thought of going straight to Tok and then to Anchorage the next day.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Caribou Hotel in Glennallen is a nice place to stay. Not too expensive, with a restaurant nearby.

187 Glenn Hwy
Glennallen, AK 99588
(907) 822-3302
http://www.caribouhotel.com/

They serve a nice caribou steak with breakfast.

Also, you might want to stop at milepost 100 on the Glenn Highway on your way into Anchorage for a nice view of the Matanuska Glacier.
Sunny side up and medium rare for me

Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I think we were on the Malaspina. We did end up paying for a four berth cabin verses a two berth since they were all taken up..

Somehow, winging it, without reservations makes me a bit nervous but you folks live there and know...
I take that back on the cabins. Apparently they opened them up since the Malaspina is temporarily replacing the Columbia on the run. I'd still call to confirm on the cabin since I think there are more cabins on the Columbia and someone might get shorted. Also, I hope your pets can go on a non-grass surface. They'll be in your vehicle for 35-40 hours before the first stop in Ketchikan and they'll have to do their business on the car deck. They allow you to let them out about 3 times each day between Bellingham and Ketchikan and at each port stop. Fortunately, the port stops are about 3-8 hours apart and most pets can hold it that long. There are grassy areas nearby at each port stop.

If it was summer (June/July/early August), I'd say get reservations because motels fill up with tourists. Since it's off-season, there should be no problems other than some places close for the winter. The ones mentioned so far I believe are open year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska