Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times

Advertisements

Ok I once again have came to the every knowing Alaska group hoping to find answers to a question.

Our cabin has a woodstove and what they call a drip oil stove. My father in law says that he hooked both of them up together and when the weather gets really cold would run both of them. Mainly he would run the drip stove when he went to town to keep stuff from freezing up. So we go to hook it all back up and find that the T is missing. We go to Fairbanks and both Lowe's and Home Depot are sold out so we head over to Sampson Hardware of course they have them then while I was there looking a person asked if they could help. I explained what I wanted to do and they told me it wouldn't work and that I would also need some barametric type T that would cost about $45 or the stove wouldn't work at al. My father in law isn't avab. right now as he is moving so my question is,Can I hook these both up safely? Do I really need the $45 T? The drip stove is a little stainless steel looking round thing sitting beside our woodstove it has a small stove pipe coming out the bottom (I was told this was so it could draw air) and everything else is there just need to connect it to the exsisting stove pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 02:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Go to the WoodWay on College Road. They have oil-drip stoves there, and can show you what you need. Go during the weekdays, and before 5:00 PM.

However, I have no idea of how to hook both together, since these work differently. Ashes from the firewood would clog a oil stove. Perhaps what you are trying to say is that your father installed a oil-drip stove inside a wood stove?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM

Ok whats going on. I can't see the replies to the post.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:09 PM

No he didn't hook them inside each other. The woodstove is currently hooked up and running. He had this drip stove thing that sits beside the woodstove,he connected additional stove pipe from the drip stove to connect to the stove pipe of the woodstove and they shared the same chimney or whatever its called.

I will try and drop by there this week if I get to go into town.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
No he didn't hook them inside each other. The woodstove is currently hooked up and running. He had this drip stove thing that sits beside the woodstove,he connected additional stove pipe from the drip stove to connect to the stove pipe of the woodstove and they shared the same chimney or whatever its called.

I will try and drop by there this week if I get to go into town.
So what you're saying is he connected both to the same chimney? It's not considered a safe thing to do, every appliance should have its own chimney or flue in the case of masonry chimneys...

Old 10-05-2008, 02:45 PM

I say chimmney but it is actually some type of special stove pipe not a traditional chimney that I have seen in the lower 48 in fireplaces.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I say chimmney but it is actually some type of special stove pipe not a traditional chimney that I have seen in the lower 48 in fireplaces.
A metal chimney you mean, double or triple wall, probably insulation in between the walls of the pipe?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Yes that is it. And here is a link to what type we actually have. For your furnace, heater, and stove needs. Rural Energy Enterprises, Inc.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes that is it. And here is a link to what type we actually have. For your furnace, heater, and stove needs. Rural Energy Enterprises, Inc.
This the sort of chimney pipe? (could be a different brand obviously): Select Double or Triple Wall at VentingPipe.com (http://www.ventingpipe.com/category.cfm?categoryID=583 - broken link)

If so you're really going to want to put in a second chimney, sized correctly for the oil stove (may need a different diameter chimney than the woodstove, possibly), and be sure the woodstove chimney is correctly installed. It's expensive stuff, I know, I bought over the course of a few months late last year/early this year all the pipe and stuff I'll need for my woodstove (I got a really nice discount through a friend who works at a stove/furnace business, but it still wasn't cheap by any means). But you don't want to burn your cabin down. Improperly installed stoves burn down lots of homes every year. If you find what brand the stove is (woodstove and oil stove) and brand of the chimney pipe on the woodstove, you could probably find the instructions for proper installation on the manufacturers' websites (they probably have websites) to be sure what you have set up is safe.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
I second the opinion of making sure you have the correct set up for a chimney. We lost our house when I was 10 from a chimney fire. I'm not sure if you can run them both on the same chimney or not. Obviously I guess you "CAN" because your father-in-law did, but I'm not sure if it's safe. You should make sure to also get a CO detector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska