Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 AM

53 posts, read 121,488 times

Advertisements

Thanks you guys. I seriously love this forum. I am very thankful I found it. We all have our moments Granny, seriously I didn't mind. We will be getting rid of at least 3/4 of our stuff. I'm nearly as excited about unloading all of our stuff as I am about moving. Nearly We have been talking about moving up the move if possible. Lots to think about and get done if we are going to make that happen, we'll see. Still 6 long months away.

Saucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM

7 posts, read 18,759 times
This has been a great thread. I will probably start a new one for a move I might make to Sitka or Homer.Dave

Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 AM

32 posts, read 72,711 times
Default the route I took...

I'm sure many will have route recommendations for you... the image posted here s roughly the route I drove twice coming to Fairbanks and once leaving... I avoided Edmonton by just driving around it - it's a big city and there's nothing there I wanted to see - but they do have some ginormous mall there... (?) if that's your thing! I made the trip by myself and it took me 3-5 days (4 1st, 3 2nd, 5 3rd!) from the Lower48 border to my destination in Fbnks
Attached Thumbnails
So yeah, I'm moving.  I've decided Alaska is the place for me.-canada-drive.jpg  

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
Seriously, it doesn't get that cold in October does it?
I had to laugh at this - come the end of Sept I call the fam back in MI regularly to give weather updates and they always think I'm exaggerating I have lived in Anchorage (3yrs) and I've lived in Fairbanks (10+yrs) and Anch fall seems to last a lot longer and the winters are by far not 'extreme' like they are up here (likewise we do not see near the extremes that they do up on te Slope!). It really reminded me a lot of MI when I lived there... much more likely to be windy & wet than up here - which can surely make the cold feel colder.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 AM

Update, more stuff sold!!!! Wooohoooo. Every dollar gained is a step closer to the move.

I wonder how many times on this site someone has said they are moving to Alaska then after a couple of months decide not to go. Most everyone who know we are going say that they'll believe it when they see it and we are stupid for going. I have to say these doubters are starting to annoy. Despite the negativity we are receiving from family and friends we are still very excited. It's like being pregnant, all I can think about is the move. It is darn near all we've been talking about lately. My husband, kids and mom are all just as obsessed so thankfully it's not just me. lol As a family we have decided to have a smaller Christmas so we can apply the funds towards our Alaskan Adventure. I think this move is going to be a great character builder and learning experience for my kids.

Saucy

Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 AM

{I'm resonding to posts as I review the 10 pages backwards, forive me}

Oh yeah - and.. I *have* to add this... (it's obligatory I think).. I'm glad you like Anchortown - I got nothin against it... but you guys have GOT to make it up to the 'Banks at some point and should come more than once. We do like to joke w/ the tourists who say "I've been to Alaska! I was on a Princes cruise through the Inside Passage and then I spent a week in Anchorage." and a common response would be something like "Well I'm very glad you got close to Alaska and liked it. Next time - come all the way IN!" Seriosuly -- I have known too many people who rave about how much they love Aaska only to find out they've never made it North of Denali Nat'l Park... there's a whole lot more ground to cover - so make it a point for some summer trips - K?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 AM

Absolutely. We plan to road trip a lot once we get there. We are planning lots of outdoor activities and many will require travel outside of the city limits of Anchorage. When I visited we did make it to the glacier and ski slopes. I remember beauty and snow. I can't wait to see both again.

As of now we are planning to move into Wasilla area most likely. I'll have to commute to Anchorage for work but we are wanting to be outside "city life".

Saucy

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Colony Middle and High School in my opinion are MUCH better schools than Wasilla Middle and High. Keep that in mind when you are looking for houses in the Wasilla area.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Well, I've always said that I don't live in Alaska, but it is only 20 minutes away.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
ya....Anchorage isn't considered part of Alaska

Its totally blue.... !

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 11-24-2008 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska