Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
We are looking into shipping our household up. Thankfully we are downsizing dramatically but as yet I have no idea what companies are near us that we could use. We were going to pull in a trailer but I think it'd be easier to ship. I have googled plenty and I'm still looking. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to have you share.

Saucy
To save money, buy a stepvan or boxvan and drive it up with your stuff in it, then sell it to recoup your money and more often than not, you will sell it for more than what you paid for it if you shopped around before you bought it and got a good deal. Otherwise, you will spend about ten grand or more renting a truck or shipping. It is better to put the money in your pocket than someone elses...

Besides, if you get here and don't like it, you can drive the stuff back home at a discount... or live in it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM

53 posts, read 121,488 times
10.000 you say? That is a bit pricier than a trailer towed behind our RV. Decisions, decisions. I still have plenty of research to do. My TO DO LIST is getting longer by the minute. I finally was able to read megensmoms travel post. I was able to add stuff just from that. As I go I'll just keep adding.

I'm so excited, May seems like a long way off. Thank God for this site and the many many helpful people. You were so awesome in answering her questions and have been just as helpful answering mine.

Saucy

Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
When it comes time to hit the road, I'll let you know where all the good places to stop in for food!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
10.000 you say? That is a bit pricier than a trailer towed behind our RV. Decisions, decisions. I still have plenty of research to do. My TO DO LIST is getting longer by the minute. I finally was able to read megensmoms travel post. I was able to add stuff just from that. As I go I'll just keep adding.

I'm so excited, May seems like a long way off. Thank God for this site and the many many helpful people. You were so awesome in answering her questions and have been just as helpful answering mine.

Saucy
After dozens of trips over the Alcan, this last one a few years back, I bought a handheld Garmin GPS and the CD with the road systems for it that covered the U.S. and Canada.

For the sake of self entertainment, I loaded the trip back from Ohio to Alaska on it and wanted to see if it followed the normal run we made. It came up with a series of roads that we had never been on that looked like they were way out of the way. It said it cut almost 300 miles off the trip, so out of interest, we followed it back. And it did as advertised, cut off a few hundred miles of travel.

It routed us up and around the bigger cities and all the roads were paved and easy on the van. Was very impressed and we saw a lot of Canada that we hadn't seen before. The roads were mainly the logging and oilfields roads that were almost four lanes wide, but called two.

Anyway, that is something that you may entertain getting and a current year issue of the Alaska Milepost. It will have all the details of the Alcan, where to eat, what to see and such. It is pretty much the Bible for travelers that want to drive to Alaska.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

Have fun!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
The shipping deal...you're gonna find that to be damn costly also

Watch your local Craigslist for a good double-axle enclosed cargo trailer

Make sure it has very good tires and buy at least one extra one mounted..

Don't overload the poor trailer and don't bring anything that you're not damn sure you're gonna use..

When ya get to Alaska you'll easily be able to find someone to sell it to that is headed SOUTH....

By doing that it will not cost you anything to get your belonging to Alaska

These people telling you to take the ferry....they must be very rich or its been awhile since they used the ferry

Anyone that opts to take the ferry just because of firearm...they didn't do their research very well

The ferry is a major rip-off at this point, difficult to schedule, and they have reduced departures from Bellingham to once per week now....

Like starlite say....GPS and The Mile Post

Next...?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
CC's right drive up the Alaska Hwy instead of the Ferry. We did it this past June and it was nice. We were driving a 30 ft, RV and pulling my hubby's workvan. Much much much cheaper and lots more freedom with the drive than the ferry. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Dreamy, for entertainment purposes, post the pic of the RV and Van, she'll get a chuckle. It's one hell of a van!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
DreamChaser & Warp.... from where they are coming from they can work their way up into Canada through Calgary in a north westerly direction.... their trip toward Alaska would actually begin at Prince George BC.

Suggestions Warp....???

Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
When we drove - the handguns were shipped as most of the ammo...the long guns - man-guy had the papers already filled out...all they were interested in the day we crossed the border was the guns...never asked for my ID, Lizzy's or the dogs...made him take the guns out....shushed through the inside of the 5th wheel quick, not much room with the way it was crammed...and when looking at the guns saw an apple box packed in the belly...had to dig that out to make sure not fruit....always different at the border...coming into AK - I dug the paperwork out of the camper..gave them more than they wanted...and ran a check on Lizzy to make sure not kidnapped with all of us with different last names...still didn't care about the dogs...go figure...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM

They'd actually have nothing to do with Prince George. They can take this route.

from: Indianapolis Indiana to: anchorage, alaska - Google Maps

3,792 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska