Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM

22 posts, read 51,557 times

Advertisements

This has been helpful to ME, too, Guys!! THANKS!!

(Maybe the ferry ISN'T such a good idea after all......)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
They'd actually have nothing to do with Prince George. They can take this route.

from: Indianapolis Indiana to: anchorage, alaska - Google Maps

3,792 miles.
Warpt ....who wouldn't.....

Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
I personally hate Prince George. If you thought people drive crazy in Anchorage or Seattle for that matter, you haven't seen anything! They are completely crazy there!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,812,184 times
Warp....that does knock off about 300+ miles I see...

*goes to find Milepost*

Ok....that takes ya through Edmonton and bring you to the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek....

I wonder what Alberta Highway 43 between Edmonton & Dawson Creek is like...you been over that...?

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 11-11-2008 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,384,846 times
from one RN to another, if you are worried about rental prices, why not go as a traveler, even if it's a permanent move? then you can get free housing or a stipend to use as you please? you can always renew the contract every 13 weeks or whatever...just an idea.
but anyway, like another poster mentioned, surely many hospitals have relocation reimbursement and sign-on bonuses.
i personally recommend working for the military..if you want good clientele. go to USAJOBS.COM and see what MTF's (military treatment facilities) have open in AK. the benefits cant be beat. and once you work at an MTF, you will never want to work in a civilian hospital ever again. trust me. ER RN 17 years here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
Hey all,

Since the elections I have decided I have to leave. I've been in a sort of limbo for about a year and I'm over it. I have wanted to move to Alaska since I visited in 1992 and again in 1993. I was in Anchorage during the winter with 5 feet of snow on the ground and I LOVED it. I was there in late April with sunlight until 11 pm and I loved it. The beauty of the place is absolutely amazing.

I was born and raised in Indianapolis. It is becoming so horrid here that I can NOT tolerate it anymore. I have 4 small kids and I want a different life for them. I have actually discussed the move with them and they are excited and curious. I have done as much research as I can on the net with still much more to do. I have tried to paint an accurate pic for them but you know you can never be prepared for the reality.

Currently I work as a RN in the "ghetto". I'm sick of taking care of those ppl. I do not worry about finding a job so much. My husband is in law enforcement and I have noted many security positions available in AK.

What I worry about is the housing. I have seen high price tags attached to homes large enough to accommodate my large family. I intend on renting for a year to get a feel for where I want to live. What I'm curious about is where should we rent? I have seen the north side of Anchorage is nice but expensive. Most other cost of living differences I believe will be offset by my income.

One last thing, how do we get there? lol Literally? I will be driving an RV with a trailer hauled behind. We are planning on a one month trip across country. Does the Ferry accommodate vehicles of this size? I figure semis get up there some way. Would we be better off going through Canada or do we have to go through Canada? This is the only area I can think of that I have a severe deficiency of knowledge.

I will be flying into Anchorage at the beginning of March to scout out the area. Who knows my memories may be faulty and I may hate it. Then again I may love it even more.

Saucy

P.S. Sorry for the mini book but I wanted to get the basics out of the way.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Warp....that does knock off about 400 miles I see...

Where does that tie into the Alaska Highway....

*goes to find Milepost*

This is a great part of the highway. Very smooth and wide open. You do get into the twisties in the BC Rockies between Fort Nelson BC and Watson Lake, YT.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM

I was just reading about "Alberta Highway 43" in the 2007 Milepost (page 68)....looks good

363 miles from Edmonton to to Dawson Creek...Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway

hapipupi3....forget the ferry unless ya wanna waste a bunch of money, its an easy drive...long but easy and lots to see & enjoy

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM

People have their tastes, I love a good road trip!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Return Trip Alcan 2007

This is the return trip from Eastern Montana to Alaska with Mile 0 on the second page.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Ok Saucy.....Warp has re-designed your route and saved ya some miles and cost of fuel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska