Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 117,934 times

Advertisements

Lol Rance, my mom use to tip over outhouses too, either in carmel or in michigan, can't remember where she said. She stopped when one went over but the part of it was still standing a big dude was sitting on that part lol. he got up and she split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 PM

14 posts, read 385,036 times
and dont eat the brown snow!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,892 times
Check the outhouse floor for stability too. My family had a cottage at Lake Pymatuming in PA many years ago. Someone was using the indoor bathroom, so I went to use the old outhouse. As I stepped into the outhouse, one foot broke the floorboard and went straight down into the hole. Thankfully, only one foot broke through the floor. Yuck! I'm still scared of outhouses till this day.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM

222 posts, read 1,045,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
When they were kids back in MN...one Halloween (in the 1950's) my Mom and some friends were going around outhouse tipping. They tipped one over and 3 of the girls fell in the hole. They never ever did that again!
What a crappy night that must have been. LOL!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM

28 posts, read 106,824 times
We pushed a outhouse over a hill once with my uncle in it. Was quite the site as he was drunk and didn't figure out until the next day what happened.
Also if you go and hear a noise you might want to look in the hole. My dad was enebriated and everytime he started to pee he would hear a squak being drunk he couldn't figure out what was happening..came in our friends house and told them everytime I pee the outhouse makes a funny noise..I quit it quits..they turned over the outhouse to find a goose had fallen in the whole..we laughed for along time over that one.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,662 times
Hey, I still remember the honey bucket when I was in China. But, when a male person reach a certain age he needs something quick and easy and comfortable.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,178 times
Styrofoam pieces for the toilet seat never get cold...any Fairbanksan could tell you that! And when it gets really cold and you don't want to make an outhouse run in the middle of the night, use a chamber pot (coffee can), put the lid back on, and deal with the dumping in the morning.

there's a little book called "Outhouses of Alaska" that has some great decorating ideas. Last time I was in the UA-Fairbanks museum, they had a great outhouse as an art piece.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 AM

32 posts, read 96,312 times
Default outhouses...

Because of my work (backcountry ranger type stuff) I have lived in a variety of places without plumbing, etc.
When I was living at a backcountry hut in the Northern White Mtns (New Hampshire) I used a foam sleeping pad cut out in a toilet seat shape to keep my butt from freezing in the outhouse, you keep it inside the cabin, by the fire!
its really not so bad.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default blue foam

A lot of great ideas here, but the blue foam one is the real Kenai solution. It goes so well with the universal color of most houses there....tyvek house wrap. Apparantly the whole penninsula is "getting around to" finishing the outside of the house "some day".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska