Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,358 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Miss Lingwacker here - been watching this site, and decided to jump in. The main reason is I'm on a mission to capture a massive Ling Cod, fishing out of Craig. So, since this is to be a dream trip, I want to be on a site that will offer answers to perhaps many silly questions.

Why Ling? Well, once out of Illwaco WA, one of those Big (insert curse word here) ling cod grabbed my sea bass. I got it up to the boat, and the stupid deckhand knocked it off. Grrrr! So I feel it's time to settle the score. (I didn't tip the deckhand, so that's taken care of)

So, hope to see you all in Craig this spring, or whenever the best chance on Ling will be.

Fishingly yours -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,904,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwacker View Post
Hello everyone!

Miss Lingwacker here - been watching this site, and decided to jump in. The main reason is I'm on a mission to capture a massive Ling Cod, fishing out of Craig. So, since this is to be a dream trip, I want to be on a site that will offer answers to perhaps many silly questions.

Why Ling? Well, once out of Illwaco WA, one of those Big (insert curse word here) ling cod grabbed my sea bass. I got it up to the boat, and the stupid deckhand knocked it off. Grrrr! So I feel it's time to settle the score. (I didn't tip the deckhand, so that's taken care of)

So, hope to see you all in Craig this spring, or whenever the best chance on Ling will be.

Fishingly yours -
Hi Lingwacker...Like your name...

Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,253,878 times
If you just wanna whack him, I'll lay claim to eating. Ling cod is definitely great tasting fish.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 AM

7,548 posts, read 5,797,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
If you just wanna whack him, I'll lay claim to eating. Ling cod is definitely great tasting fish.
A half stick of dynamite always worked back home. You can get a boat full if you find the right hole. Belly up and scoop'em up!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,253,878 times
Wholesale catching. Takes some of the fun out of fishing, but it will fill a freezer quick!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Ah yes, DuPont Spinners! Very efficient, but hard to get on a hook. No this is a Fishy Vendetta, so it's gonna be one on one. Of course if a halibut or some other innocent bystander gets in the way, I'll wack them too! That's what I love about bottom fishing, you just don't know whats gonna grab the bait! Fishingly yours---

Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM

959 posts, read 2,366,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwacker View Post
Hello everyone!

Fishingly yours -
Well, if you come, you'll have to come say hi to me; I might even be able to put you on some Lingcod...got a couple nice ones this season, and I like Lingcod almost as much as halibut, for eating...YUM!!! And they are notorious fish-stealers...pulled up a couple with bass in their mouths myself. Spring or summer, lingcod to be had here, fo' sho'!

Good luck...PM me if you really do get up here. I'd love to say hi!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Hey Alaskagal!

Thanks for the comeback! I will totally look you up when I get there. Just working on the cash and logistics of travel. I plan on the train from Portland to Bellingham, ferry to Ketchikan, over to POW, Fish - fish - fish - maybe some beachcombing, then fly from Ketchikan back to Portland. Gotta get that fish home quick!

Anyone have hints on traveling cheaper, sure would like to hear them!

Take care everyone – Hope your turkey day is filling! J

Miss Lingwacker

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM

959 posts, read 2,366,082 times
Yeah...sounds like a plan. I think the consensus is that going through Prince Rupert is cheaper--but it means going through Canada, which can be a hassle/time consuming, eat up money by itself. I still think when it's all said and done that the Bellingham ferry option doesn't cost THAT much more money; but, then again, I didn't go through Rupert, so I don't have first-hand experience.

Are you going to be on a charter boat when you fish up here or do you have an acquaintance with a boat?

I have a 16' Boston Whaler and I can get out to some pretty good holes--closer in to shore than a charter boat, certainly, but I've still plucked some pretty good fish, including Lingcod, pretty close to Craig. I'd certainly be willing to take you out if the small boat doesn't scare ya...I am probably overly cautious when it comes to weather, so I never tempt fate. Of course, no absolute guarantees for fish; I've also gotten skunked a few times!

In any case, it would be cool to meet someone from the forum coming to my neck of the woods, so do look me up...I'll PM ya some personal info one of these days.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Additional option...continue on Amtrak through Bellingham into Vancouver, which is 1 hour

Switch over to Via Rail up to Prince Rupert....from there its 6 hours up to Ketchikan on the Alaska Ferry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska