Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times

Advertisements

I read some reviews on these and from what I read it wasn't very good. They tend to not keep the temps but maybe a degree or 2 than the place they are in,they don't last very long before going out. I also can't find out just how much power they do pull,IF you could do like you said then that would be great but I don't want to be charging an extra battery everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,699,652 times
You could also just use a cooler to keep things cold. Ice shouldn't be a problem there.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I read some reviews on these and from what I read it wasn't very good. They tend to not keep the temps but maybe a degree or 2 than the place they are in,they don't last very long before going out. I also can't find out just how much power they do pull,IF you could do like you said then that would be great but I don't want to be charging an extra battery everyday.
Then just get a big plain cooler, put snow in the bottom and close the lid. When the snow melts, they have a drain on the bottom. Drain the water and refill with snow. It will stay at about 35 degrees if kept inside the cabin/house and only need to be refilled once a day or every other day with snow.... The snow is free and if the melting water is an issue, make a small rack to keep the food up off the bottom or put everything is ziploc baggies...

Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I was thinking that but I was hoping for a little less messy solution. For now I guess I'm gonna give it a whirl. I will say though that I have been putting cokes in my unused cabinet and they have been quit cool. The little them.in there says its around 40ish so not bad for cokes but I don't think it will work for milk or eggs.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I was thinking that but I was hoping for a little less messy solution. For now I guess I'm gonna give it a whirl. I will say though that I have been putting cokes in my unused cabinet and they have been quit cool. The little them.in there says its around 40ish so not bad for cokes but I don't think it will work for milk or eggs.
At Sportsmans Warehouse, they have a large one with a drain on it, You can put it accross a couple of chairs, blocks or something to elevate it a bit so draining into a bucket isn't much of a big deal. They have some plastic shelves that one can use to keep the food above the snow level.

Or you could put a couple of gallon milk jugs outside with water in them to allow them to freeze and just rotate them in the cooler for keeping stuff cool instead of the snow route... No water, no mess....

Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 PM

21 posts, read 48,300 times
How about freezing water in milk jugs outside then keeping them in a cooler. Keep several and just keep swaping them as them thaw out. Just my thought.

Side note I read your complete "journal" about moving to AK. Very nice!!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM

I like the milk jug idea. gonna give it a whirl.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,699,652 times
or use gallon size ziploc bags just double them

Old 11-18-2008, 11:30 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
or use gallon size ziploc bags just double them
or freezer icees, it will work, been there done that in SD in the winter with no fridge....put it in the house in a cold spot and just swap out, might get a little cold, but will work...if the eggs start to freeze, let warm up, crack and put in bowl to thaw...they will be fine in long run, but don't let freeze solid, finding the sweet spot in cold is key....

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default old sailors trick

One old sailors trick is to dip the eggs in molten pariffin wax. Supposedly after they're treated that way they'll stay edible for weeks, even at room temp. Of course if it happens to be one with salmonella already inside it, you're in trouble.

I'd second the idea of finding the coldest part of the coldest room, and then keep a cooler there with a frozen milk jug of water inside with your food. If you leave an inch or two of airspace and let it freeze with the cap off it shouldn't pop the jugs.

In any case, even if stuff does get too cold and freezes up the cooler should contain any mess. If you keep the eggs loose in a gallon ziplock, you can just thaw what you need and strain out any shells. In fact, if you just need em for baking or omlettes you might as well just scramble them ahead of time in twos or threes and freeze em that way in sandwich bags or washed-out yogurt cups and don't worry about the shells. As for cheese I've never had any problem freezing it, though its a bit weird to use until it's thawed all the way.

And as far as milk goes, you could either go with the UHT milk boxes that you can safely store at room temp, or use powdered. The first option is more expensive than jug milk, and the latter less convienent but maybe even cheaper. Yes, I know that powdered milk tastes weird, but I use it for baking all the time since we use soy milk for cereal and such. If you start talking with the Alaska old-timers, they'll almost always tell you that when they were kids it was nothing but powdered milk unless they kept a cow themselves. In fact, most folks that grew up here even as recently as the 50's can probably remember when they finally got to taste "store-bought milk", and they'll always tell you that it tasted weird to them. : )

Last edited by rotorhead; 11-19-2008 at 02:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: