Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM

244 posts, read 486,108 times

Advertisements

Yet another looking to move to your state and have greatly appreciated the info you all have provided here! My wife has a very well paying job that sadly is closing the building she is in to merge with another about an hour and half away (30 miles in LA). Knowing she wont do the drive they offered to set her up in a home office wherever she wants that office. Of course we pay for the move but the with her salary year round, Alaska is very doable.
You all have provided great info already to help us decide Kenai Peninsula is where we want to be and special thanks to Rance for his pics!
Now the ignorant lower 48 question you all feared! I know you have internet there but till i get set, our income will be very dependant on my wifes internet connection. Is there fast internet that is very reliable year round? Preferably fast enough for video conferencing though she can work around that as long as she has some connection.
Thanks again to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
We use MTA, it's fast and reliable, however the main difference is that their rates are based on your usage, kind of like a cell plan. We use more than 10 GB per month, so we had to upgrade to the unlimited amount, which is standard in the lower 48's at a whopping cost of $140 per month just for internet, nothing else.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Yet another looking to move to your state and have greatly appreciated the info you all have provided here! My wife has a very well paying job that sadly is closing the building she is in to merge with another about an hour and half away (30 miles in LA). Knowing she wont do the drive they offered to set her up in a home office wherever she wants that office. Of course we pay for the move but the with her salary year round, Alaska is very doable.
You all have provided great info already to help us decide Kenai Peninsula is where we want to be and special thanks to Rance for his pics!
Now the ignorant lower 48 question you all feared! I know you have internet there but till i get set, our income will be very dependant on my wifes internet connection. Is there fast internet that is very reliable year round? Preferably fast enough for video conferencing though she can work around that as long as she has some connection.
I do medical transcription with large sound files all day and not a problem through ACS with DSL, I have the cheap version at 49.95 including my landline and have two other computers on the home network...I would think if the company is paying for the move, the office, etc, that they will pay for the internet connection also...

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
As long as you have a view of the sun between 11 and 12 AM (no mountains or trees in the way), you can get a Hughesnet satellite internet highspeed. There is no phone lines required and can be accessed in just about anywhere in Alaska. HughesNet Services

You can contact the Alaska Dealer directly at (907)451-0088. Have had the system here for about four years and am very happy with it in the middle of nowhere, South of Nenana, Alaska.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 45,787 times
ACS high speed internet is not available everywhere on the Kenai Peninsula. Be sure to verify with them before making any housing decisions. When we sold our house just outside Soldotna last spring we had DSL which we canceled but the people who bought our house where put on a waiting list. Additionally be cautious as to how much band width is actually available at your location.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Jono some of the internet providers in the lower 48 are also moving towards systems of tiered usage.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
I am more a fan of the flat rate. I download a TON of stuff online and wouldn't want to be paying more cause i use my internet for all it's worth.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:17 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
I am more a fan of the flat rate. I download a TON of stuff online and wouldn't want to be paying more cause i use my internet for all it's worth.
Exactly, me too....

Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM

244 posts, read 486,108 times
Default thanks again

just wanted to thank you all for the responses!

If yah dont mind i have one more question regarding well water. Have heard warnings to have the well tested prior to buying. How dangerous is this bad water? My wife is a bit of a germaphob and this has her worried. Is regular testing needed and if so how often?
Thanks again again LOL

Old 11-30-2008, 12:30 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Quote:

If yah dont mind i have one more question regarding well water. Have heard warnings to have the well tested prior to buying. How dangerous is this bad water? My wife is a bit of a germaphob and this has her worried. Is regular testing needed and if so how often?
Thanks again again LOL
Get it tested before you buy it. Then have it tested once a year if it makes you comfortable. Most people don't test their water at all after they purchase a home.

It is not a bad idea to have it tested periodically however. Like every year or two.

Germaphobes tend to believe that the water that comes out of their tap is safe water. They don't think about where it comes from and the miles of pipe the city water travels through to reach you. All that pipe increases the chances of contamination. Any little leak in any little joint can introduce germs.

Well water only brings the water from the bottom of the well to your house.

But it is still a good idea to have it tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska