Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times

Advertisements

Something like that sounds familiar to me too, but cannot find anything unless I am not spelling it right..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Either way, the history of Alaska is one of the things I find fun. Quite different from what I know of other areas in the world.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 AM

I agree!!! I am messing with myself here tonight I think...found this and appears Kalifornsky is Russian equivalent of Californian...if you look under Nomenclature heading..
Kalifornsky village, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Grannysroost; 12-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM

45 posts, read 107,235 times
Actually, the area north of the Kenai city limits is in the Nikiski fire district and as such is generally referred to as just Nikiski. Used to be before the Nikiski fire district encompassed all of the unincorporated area north of kenai, that that area was either North Kenai, or Salamatoff and was generally an accepted term by folks who lived there. But now I don't think that is the case. All who live in that geographic area vote at the Nikiski fire station across from the Nazarene church. And I know that the folks I know who live by the lower Salamatoff lake or by the old cannery just say Nikiski.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbytes View Post
Actually, the area north of the Kenai city limits is in the Nikiski fire district and as such is generally referred to as just Nikiski. Used to be before the Nikiski fire district encompassed all of the unincorporated area north of kenai, that that area was either North Kenai, or Salamatoff and was generally an accepted term by folks who lived there. But now I don't think that is the case. All who live in that geographic area vote at the Nikiski fire station across from the Nazarene church. And I know that the folks I know who live by the lower Salamatoff lake or by the old cannery just say Nikiski.
Thanks Polar, looked closer to Kenai to me on the map...., but have learned a lot with this one, and thanks TB....

Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 AM

288 posts, read 350,150 times
Thanks all.

The info and links were great, I too learned quite a bit also. Am looking foward to being there full time. Soon can't come fast enough.

regards,
TB

Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I agree!!! I am messing with myself here tonight I think...found this and appears Kalifornsky is Russian equivalent of Californian...if you look under Nomenclature heading..
Kalifornsky village, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The early Russian fur traders/explorers did manage to get as far as northern CA in the late 1700s, though I don't remember the name of the place anymore. I do know there's a small museum there devoted mostly to the Russian explorers, wherever it is. Fort something or other, I think. But I also think they decided it was too far from home to be feasible as a regular trip and retreated back to the Alaska area, to finally headquarter in SE. But with all their travels, they stuck to the coast, all along the way, never went into the Interior at all, or even very far up Cook Inlet. If there weren't any sea otters to be had, they weren't interested.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 45,799 times
Actually for better, or worse, you will be considered a "North Roader"

Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
It's pronounced Salamatoff. FFFF sound on the end.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Hi, Just joined the site, My sister lived in your area in the 80s until she passed away from Breast Cancer in 1987,Her name was Pat McCloud, She is buried in a small Russian Church cemetery, Her husband Mac did salmon fishing on slopes.She dearly loved Alaska. I was happy to be able to find this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska