Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Our Wedding Anniversary But my wife has requested a relaxing day at home, and a nice halibut dinner prepared by me, of course. I already bought her a couple of presents, and the halibut is in the freezer. Would you believe over $13.00 per pound at Fred's? But I don't care how expensive it is, since she loves this fish along a fruit salad, mashed potatoes, with gravy. She drinks milk, while I drink a cup of wine We will also watch a movie or two. She is sound asleep by 9:00PM, so our Lab and I will watch the ball drop at midnight. I remember when it was a ball dropping at Times Square, but it was supposed to be an Apple (it had a stem with two colorful leaves), and much beautiful than what it's today.

By the way, the police and trooper have been and will continue being in force out there. Lookout! As you may know by now, crime like breaking and entering does not pay (no money to be made), but road crime sure pays. The police (North Pole and Fairbanks), and the troopers make a killing from before Christmas to after New Year's day. They look like hornets out there. Not Kidding!
Happy Anniversary Ray and Mrs....I would have sent you some if would have known that......what kind of gravy do you do with halibut, how do you cook it with gravy...I need many ways of halibut....Fruit salad anytime is good dessert, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks Dogs are good companions...come 9, mine all want the bed,sprawl out, TV and are so snuggly, and they have to touch,....I don't think anything gives the unconditional love like the man's (woman's) best friend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,704,947 times
Happy Anniversary to you and your wife Ray.

I will be doing probably the same thing I did last year. Nothing. I will be going ice fishing Thursday possibly.

New Years resolution- job in Alaska.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Happy Anniversary Ray and Mrs....I would have sent you some if would have known that......what kind of gravy do you do with halibut, how do you cook it with gravy...I need many ways of halibut....Fruit salad anytime is good dessert, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks Dogs are good companions...come 9, mine all want the bed,sprawl out, TV and are so snuggly, and they have to touch,....I don't think anything gives the unconditional love like the man's (woman's) best friend....
The gravy is for the mashed potatoes. But anyways, I cook the halibut in two versions, and at the same time:

PARMESAN HALIBUT
-Lemon juice
-Grated parmesan
-Mustard
-Mayonnaise
-Black pepper
-Butter
-Mrs. dash
-1/2" fillets

a. Don't add salt since the cheese is salty already. Mix the cheese, mustard, and mayo into a paste. What you want is enough cheese mix to cover the halibut fillets, but ONLY with a very thin layer (maybe less than 1/4" in thickness). Otherwise it will be too salty. Add 2 tablespoons of mayo to 1 of mustard. The idea is for the cheese, mayo, and mustard paste to look like a light mustard color. Add some Mrs. Dash, and a little black pepper. MIX TOGETHER AND PUT ASIDE.

b. Set the oven to broil. Rinse the fillets, and place them over the butter in a baking pan, and sprinkle a little lemon juice over the top of the fillets. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes, turn the fillets over, and broil the other side just the same.

c. Drain the liquid out of the pan, and then spread the cheese mix over the fillets into a very thin layer. Place in the oven, and watch it carefully until the cheese turn golden color or starts bubbling-up.
-------
Serve with mashed potatoes, a gravy of your liking, and a fruit salad like this one: cut cantaloupe, grapes, watermelon, banana, canned mandarin orange, walnuts, a very few thin pieces of celery, and any other fruit you like. Mix-in a bowl gently, with a little mayonnaise for taste. If you don't like mayo in the fruit salad, you can just sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice over the top.

I will come back later to explain the fried halibut recipe I also prepare.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM

959 posts, read 2,362,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
Happy Anniversary to you and your wife Ray.

I will be doing probably the same thing I did last year. Nothing. I will be going ice fishing Thursday possibly.

New Years resolution- job in Alaska.
Hey there!

As for me, this will be my first New Year's sober. It'll be wierd and I'll probably be having some down thoughts. I'll just make the best of it.

So I'll maybe get some movies, some yummy and bad-for-me food treats, and see if one or two friends is up for a quiet night. Probably I'll go for a midnight walk if the weather is nice that night!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
You too Ray? My wife & I got married on 12/31/98.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,366,267 times
We'll probably just hang out.....I like watching the ball fall on tv. Wow - that'll be on at 8pm our time here, right???

I think I saw in the paper that there's fireworks in Wasilla Idita-Park 7pm. I guess that's where the sign is "home of the Iditarod"?
I may try to talk hubby in to a road trip to Talkeetna for picture taking.
And throwing popcorn at the doggie is always a good idea

Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Close enough My wife and I were married by her Father on 01-01-1981 at his church in Seattle. We flew to Seattle from Anchorage, married, and then returned to Los Anchorage on the 1st. It was windy (cross winds) as we arrived, and I almost kissed the ground (ice) upon landing...I was relieved to still be alive

Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Close enough My wife and I were married by her Father on 01-01-1981 at his church in Seattle. We flew to Seattle from Anchorage, married, and then returned to Los Anchorage on the 1st. It was windy (cross winds) as we arrived, and I almost kissed the ground (ice) upon landing...I was relieved to still be alive
Wow! We were married in a non denominational chapel in the Smokeys in TN. But my Mom gave the blessing. She was an Episcopal priest. It was in the 60s in Pigeon Forge but a raging snow/ice storm all around us. It took us 8 hours to get back to Charlotte, normally its a 3 hour trip.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Wow! We were married in a non denominational chapel in the Smokeys in TN. But my Mom gave the blessing. She was an Episcopal priest. It was in the 60s in Pigeon Forge but a raging snow/ice storm all around us. It took us 8 hours to get back to Charlotte, normally its a 3 hour trip.
Happy Wedding Anniversary May life bring to you and your other half lots of happiness, a wonderful life together.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,945,938 times
Quote:
Funny! My friend at work also, 31 years for her. Happy anniversary everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska