Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

I'm just saying you can do something like pilots do, they make a flight plan with the Flight Service Stations. If you fail to return or get to where you are going and your flight plan isn't closed, they will do necessary things to see if you are safe. Make a personal plan with a buddy or family member when you venture out in the wilderness and stick to that plan. It saves a lot of time and effort on search and rescue groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,223 times
Anyone traveling or hiking in the back country should file a plan and give it to family and friends so they have something to go on in the case something like this happens. It is benificial to both you and the searchers if a search is called for due to someone being over due. And it lets them know the route you had planned to be traveling on.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM

273 posts, read 587,704 times
That's right. A flight plan, a float plan, a hiking/hunting/whatever plan. In my circle you never take off without informing someone staying behind of where you are going, how long you will be there, what route you plan to take to get there & back. Doesn't have to be an official, just someone who can call the officials if you don't show back up. My DH knows to check water conditions if I'm not home when I said I would be, if the weather conditions look passable, wait a day for me to radio in, and if I don't, THEN call the CG and give them a heads up to keep an eye out. If weather is bad, give me a few more days until conditions clear for travel. I've pounded this into my kids' heads over and over as well. We have friends that can fly over an area if the conditions are good and check it out.
In the case of Mr. Yagamuchi, obvioiusly he doesn't have a family in Alaska to file with. His gear has been untouched for several days, meaning he has probably gotten bogged down out there somewhere. He hasn't picked up his supplies, indicating he has gotten awry of his plan. It's time to look for him. If it turns out he just threw up his hands and hiked to a motel or something and didn't call in, then it'll be time to smack him.
We are very fortunate in this state to have such dedicated and well-trained troopers & coast guard. It is our responsibility to know when to call them and when not to. It shouldn't be a frivolous decision. And we sure as hell shouldn't take off willy-nilly, leaving them no clue to work with.

I'm curious about this "cart" he has been dragging around to carry gear and sleep in. Sounds odd, anyone else think so? I wonder what kind of cart? I guess it has wheels?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'm just saying you can do something like pilots do, they make a flight plan with the Flight Service Stations. If you fail to return or get to where you are going and your flight plan isn't closed, they will do necessary things to see if you are safe. Make a personal plan with a buddy or family member when you venture out in the wilderness and stick to that plan. It saves a lot of time and effort on search and rescue groups.
That's an excellent idea, and it's recommended by all rescue agencies.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You should at least tell someone where you are planning on going, what you have with you, and when you plan on returning. If you don't come back within a specific time, then they can go find you.
When I go hunting, my family (and so my hunting partner's families) know exactly where the campsite is, and the hunting points we use along the trail are. If my hunting partners and I depart in different directions, we let each other know where we are by writing and posting a note at our tents. We also have radios to communicate with, but only on emergencies (not for hunting, since this is illegal).

Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM

273 posts, read 587,704 times
Well they found him:

UPDATED PRESS RELEASE:

Text: On 1/4/09 at 1215 hrs. US Customs at the ALCAN border called
Alaska State Troopers and reported Toru Yamaguchi was at the border
entering the Unites States on his way back to Fairbanks via Alaska
Direct Busline. AST spoke with Yamaguchi and he reported that he was
okay. He is currently headed to Fairbanks. He plans to spend time in
Fairbanks to prepare to resume his hike to Prudhoe Bay. Case closed.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,223 times
And with a good ending.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrennie View Post
Well they found him:

UPDATED PRESS RELEASE:

Text: On 1/4/09 at 1215 hrs. US Customs at the ALCAN border called
Alaska State Troopers and reported Toru Yamaguchi was at the border
entering the Unites States on his way back to Fairbanks via Alaska
Direct Busline. AST spoke with Yamaguchi and he reported that he was
okay. He is currently headed to Fairbanks. He plans to spend time in
Fairbanks to prepare to resume his hike to Prudhoe Bay. Case closed.
That's good news

Thanks for the report.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
He should be charged with littering.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Quote:
He should be charged with littering.
Somehow, if I've read the initial report correctly, there was a finding of evidence (sled and campsite) this guy was way North of Fairbanks. Now, the latest, hot off the press, is that he is at the US/Canadien border on the Alaskan Hiway. I would assume that would be the Beaver Creek Station That is a long ways between the 2. Maybe we better wait before we slap his wrist with a wet noodle. Maybe he forgot to kiss his girlfriend goodbye back aways and hitch a ride back to do so. Then plan to pick up his sled on the way back. Still, it is good to hear he is safe and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska