Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,026 times

Advertisements

Newb here. I've been reading a lot about Ketchikan but would like Local Opinion.

1. How much is rent for a typical apartment/house and how many rooms
would it have and does it have a garage?
2. How much is gas, and does food cost a lot more? I read that because of
freight costs, goods cost more. How much is a 6 pack of Guinness?
3. What Cellphone provider has good-great coverage in that area. I have
t-mobile, is it any good there?
4. What cable companies and ISPs are there there and how much would
they cost/ month? Here in California, I have to get a (phone) land line
to get internet, do I have to do that there, too?
5. I have a rear wheel drive SUV, Do I need to sell it and get a 4x4 or will it
do? How much is car insurance? I've looked at maps and it looks like I
might not need a car there altogether...
6. What Banks are there in that area?
7. Are there any car dealerships in the area?

Sorry if this sounded really ignorant or stupid, but I am really trying to weigh my options. Because moving is really an economical choice for me and I would love to know if I'm getting ahead if I move, or would be better off staying put. I have read similar threads to this, and would greatly appreciate the help of Ketchikan locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,232,179 times
Ketchikan has Wells Fargo and First Bank of Ketchikan. GCI is the cable provider and can provide cable modem internet access. 2-wheel SUV is fine if you have snow tires (weather is usually warmer than the rest of the state due to proximity to water, but rain is a big issue. For the rest, you need a local to answer the rest of your questions, as I live in Anchorage.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
AFIK - Ketichican has three weather conditions: Has rained, is raining and will be raining soon.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Well this winter you would need a 4 wheel drive vehicle with studded snow tires. On Dec. 27, 24" of snow fell that day. I'm not gonna try to answer all your questions cause this is basic research you should do yourself. I will provide a couple of links to get you started.

As for what the weather is going to be like, who knows? It's subject to change by the hour.

SitNews - Stories In The News - Ketchikan, Alaska

Ketchikan Daily News

Greater Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce, Member's Listings of Real Estate (http://www.ketchikanchamber.com/realestate.html - broken link)

The Greater Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce Community Information (http://www.ketchikanchamber.com/community.html - broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM

273 posts, read 588,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPT View Post
Newb here. I've been reading a lot about Ketchikan but would like Local Opinion.

1. How much is rent for a typical apartment/house and how many rooms
would it have and does it have a garage?
Rents seem to be going down. Best time to find a good rental is in the winter. Who knows what this summer will bring, but everyone I know is worried about it. Plan on a minimum of $1000 mo for a decent apt. A garage is gonna cost you, and parking is a big issue in many cases. I have a nice one bedroom rental that I rent out for $550 but that's considered way low...I do it that way because I like to rent to long-term, reliable people whom I know. You can get a feel of the rental situation by going to sitnews.com and scrolling down to homes/apartments in the classified section.

2. How much is gas, and does food cost a lot more? I read that because of
freight costs, goods cost more. How much is a 6 pack of Guinness?
LOL on the gas question---don't know about the Guinness but can check and get back with you..

3. What Cellphone provider has good-great coverage in that area. I have
t-mobile, is it any good there?

GCI, AT&T, ACS
4. What cable companies and ISPs are there there and how much would
they cost/ month? Here in California, I have to get a (phone) land line
to get internet, do I have to do that there, too?

Negative on needing a landline for internet. We have wireless. Can be had through the cable company. Plan on abt $80 +- a mo for basic cable/internet. That doesn't include cell phone. Landline phone, no frills, abt $40 mo.

5. I have a rear wheel drive SUV, Do I need to sell it and get a 4x4 or will it
do? How much is car insurance? I've looked at maps and it looks like I
might not need a car there altogether...

4x4 need depends on where you live...and where you'd like to go.... you'd be better off with one, you'll be wanting one most winters. Car insurance not that bad, but I have nothing to compare it to. Yes, you're going to want a car. Don't have to have one, as there are city buses and we have cabs and we walk alot, but you're going to want one.

6. What Banks are there in that area?

Tongass FCU, Key Bank, First Bank, Alaska USA, a Wells Fargo branch
7. Are there any car dealerships in the area?

Yes. Skinner Sales & Service and Basic Transportation. You can google them. There's no shortage on sellers of individual used cars, either.

Sorry if this sounded really ignorant or stupid, but I am really trying to weigh my options. Because moving is really an economical choice for me and I would love to know if I'm getting ahead if I move, or would be better off staying put. I have read similar threads to this, and would greatly appreciate the help of Ketchikan locals.
Never ignorant nor stupid to research a move. Feel free to DM with any further questions about the area.

Last edited by Wrennie; 01-14-2009 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: rephrased.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,026 times
Appreciate your help, guys!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 19,282 times
I am a nurse and my husband and I are looking to maybe move into the area. We have no kids but do have a chocolate lab 7yo. How hard is it going to be to find a place that accepts a pet. We cant leave her, she is our baby.
I have looked all over the internet trying to find property management places. What I have found is that almost 50% of housing in Ketchikan is rentals, but I can't seem to find the companies. Anyone have any tips.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,001,517 times
Moving here from CA will be a huge culture shock. People here actually care about one another and won't hesitate to help you out. Admittedly, there is a massive difference in the amenities that you're accustomed to but, Alaskans, as I've learned, are a different breed from your typical lower-48'er. ESPECIALLY Californians. You won't experience the entirely unjustified arrogance and/or STUPIDITY that is so ingrained in CA natives(I spent close to a year living in San Jose and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there).

However, be prepared to deal with higher costs for assumed utilities and food. Not to mention that you just can't hop on the "highway" and get somewhere else. Ain't happenin. In fact, Alaska roads are fairly dangerous and, for the most part, hospitals are few and far between.

California, as much as I hate it, had pretty adequate health care. However, up here, be prepared to deal with what Alaska has to offer. Independence and freedom such as we enjoy comes with a price.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Moving here from CA will be a huge culture shock. People here actually care about one another and won't hesitate to help you out. Admittedly, there is a massive difference in the amenities that you're accustomed to but, Alaskans, as I've learned, are a different breed from your typical lower-48'er. ESPECIALLY Californians. You won't experience the entirely unjustified arrogance and/or STUPIDITY that is so ingrained in CA natives(I spent close to a year living in San Jose and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there).

However, be prepared to deal with higher costs for assumed utilities and food. Not to mention that you just can't hop on the "highway" and get somewhere else. Ain't happenin. In fact, Alaska roads are fairly dangerous and, for the most part, hospitals are few and far between.

California, as much as I hate it, had pretty adequate health care. However, up here, be prepared to deal with what Alaska has to offer. Independence and freedom such as we enjoy comes with a price.
Satch...(smack to your head)...what did you do? Leave the door open when you left. LOL.......

Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany_lee27 View Post
I am a nurse and my husband and I are looking to maybe move into the area. We have no kids but do have a chocolate lab 7yo. How hard is it going to be to find a place that accepts a pet. We cant leave her, she is our baby.
I have looked all over the internet trying to find property management places. What I have found is that almost 50% of housing in Ketchikan is rentals, but I can't seem to find the companies. Anyone have any tips.

Thanks
You can access the Ketchikan Daily News online.

Ketchikan Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska