Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:00 AM

351 posts, read 686,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Is that curry or a vindaloo?
I don't know - my Mom calls it curry.

I did forget - add some water and cooked chicken pieces. Chicken curry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
My fortune cookies usually lie to me. I'm surprised they haven't decided I'm a sheep to be sheered at a card game, because I still believe them.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Believing is a powerful thing.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
And you guys, correct me if I am wrong, but a real southern roux is made with flour, not cornstarch???? eh???don't think gumbo made with cornstarch....

Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
On the subject of tools. I just couldn't resist. Along with a taping knife I got some Makita 18V LiIon tools. Drill, impact driver, trim saw, reciprocating saw, right angle grinder, and some stupid light, nice kit but they always have to throw in that light. It's a nice start.

Also got 6" and 8" slip joint pliers, 1" putty knife, hex key set,

Drywall joint compound, tape, they gave me two pencils free.

They even had a 16oz claw hammer today, but since I didn't even use the 8oz I figured I'd wait, even though I know I will need it.
I discovered one trick - find out when they will be getting an order in and get to the store first, before everyone buys them out of the new stuff.
I couldn't find a white duxplex outlet cover, and a white hex box cover, maybe next shipment. Making friends with the guys behind the counter, this can only be good.

BTW - I was given a fortune cookie last night and the fortune:

"The star of riches will shine on you beginning next month"

I wonder if that means more tools, seeing a polar bear, making new friends, getting a real job (uuuugggghhhh), winning the lottery (maybe I should play). So many possibilities.

Also - I do have a carpentry job coming up this week. I am going to check it out at 1am this morning. This one's for pay, not barter.

I might put off the drywall job to take this one - it's kind of an urgent need rush job.

I was given the use of a 6 drawer dresser - I just need to move it.

Things are definitely looking good.
Free pencils...cool...can send a couple dozen if ya want???don't see any duplicates yet????but would you admit to that

Last edited by Grannysroost; 01-27-2009 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: and sharpener if ya want...hope job bid goes well :-)

Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
Granny, you're absolutely correct about the gumbo and flour in the roux. Trust the French to get it wrong though. Corn starch binds the fluids better than plain flour. LOL

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 AM

53 posts, read 121,631 times
HOLY COW!!!

I log in and see there are a bazillion posts and what are they about tools. lol I think when Akvarmt was pre-move the same thing happened to her thread, it makes a girl feel loved.

Let me clear something up, I am not selling the tool box and tools. They belong to me and I love them. The small compressor is also mine as well as the lovely nail gun that I have used many many times. Calm down guys, this chick will not be selling the tools. In fact the hubby was going to put my beautiful Troybilt weed eater in the auction stuff, not a tool so much but still it's one of those must have items, I nearly had a melt down. I will need that for my gardening. Jeez

Other things definitely not selling are all the hubby,s guns and ammo as well as the guns safe, the 50+ boxes of books, the scrapbook stuff (too much for sure but, come on I have 4 kids), Victrola, Antique/vintage sewing machine as well as the much newer Husqvarna Viking sewing machine. Antique trunk that contains all of my lovely fabrics. My beautiful desk and chair, my grandfathers hutch and our bed. All the computers, disks, hardrive and accessory equipment can not be left behind. I will not be getting rid of any of the antiques I purchased for my personal enjoyment either.

We have graphed out on graph paper the packing of our 12 foot box truck. I love that thing soooooo much. It's truly fabulous. We have already used it to load, relocate and unload a whole bunch of auction stuff. The auction company was very nice. They took everything and apparently they have not been struggling like the other. They assured me that one way or another all would sell. Woohooo. We figure we have at least two to three more loads to take to auction. Only 6 more days to clear out the rest of my mom's place. We've made some real progress but I fear we are going to still have more to do come the last day or two.

My kitchen is the only place I haven't really touched yet. Bragging moment coming. I will be taking for certain my copper Barista, my copper kitchenaid mixer and my beautiful copper cookware. Sorry I had to do that. I have lots and lots of utensils and such that I will be thinning. Per Akvarmt's advice I will be taking some of the basics and spices. They can get pricey to replace and it would be nice to pick up a few things at the grocery store and be able to make a decent meal. I don't really have any other option due to the 4 kids needing food and all.

Anyways, sorry about the book. I tend to do that a lot.

Saucy

Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
HOLY COW!!!

The small compressor is also mine as well as the lovely nail gun that I have used many many times. Calm down guys, this chick will not be selling the tools.

<----- thinking you'll fit in just fine

Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Glad to hear you've put your foot down on that weed-eater! I invested in a gas one for the first time this last summer...vrrooooom, vrrrooom! So Dawn...when you drive by and see me rigged out in face shield and body-armour - DUCK! That is a lovely piece of equipment. And I mustn't forget Hank...the riding lawn-mower. Essential!

Copper? I am exheedingly jealous now

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Free pencils...cool...can send a couple dozen if ya want???don't see any duplicates yet????but would you admit to that
Too early for multiple tools. I need to get the basics first. There will be the necessary multiple tools in due time. Of course I would admit to that - what man wouldn't? err... I mean tool lover wouldn't. Sorry ladies.

I now have a kitchen faucet that is facing the right way, the hot is on the left, cold on the right, and the water turns on when you push the handle back and off when you pull it forward. How many backwards things can someone do with a kitchen faucet? Oh yeah and it doesn't leak anymore. Nor does the handle turn in circles, nice and tight.

Couldn't do that w/o tools.

Last tool related post in this thread - there is now a proper thread for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: