Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 PM

959 posts, read 2,364,031 times

Advertisements

Even though it has snowed and blown all winter long here in SE AK, there are some redeeming qualities...I just looked out my office window and in the harbor, there were 5 river otters taking a break on one of the docks! I love it! The whole office stopped what they were doing to "ooooh and aaaahhh" over the cute little guys! Just another Alaskan perk; what an office view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,894,942 times
Yup! And just the other day a full-grown moose wandered through our front yard, causing our two little dogs to go totally nuts and bark their brains out. Then we went to the beach to feed the wild birds. Had an assortment of crows, seagulls, ravens, and eagles as close as 6 feet away. The eagles were so near they more than filled up the viewfinder in my camera with the zoom all the way out. The ravens were by far the most wary of the bunch, not wanting to get any closer than 50 feet or so. The birds seem to treasure any kind of scrap you want to throw out to them. It is indeed a paradise...

Bud in Seward

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM

366 posts, read 388,172 times
I went in the store about an hour ago and it was almost white out conditions when I parked my truck---when I came out it had stopped and there was a little blue sky--now there's a lot.

AKgirl, is this your first year here? I haven't spent a winter on POW in over 20 years; it's too far south for me. But I'm trying to remember what month the orca migration takes place--you might be able to see that from your office window too. It's in April or May.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Rainy...this is actually my 2nd full winter here and coming up on 4th summer (I worked a seasonal job for 3 summers). And yes, you can see orcas here right out in the harbor, if the herring/etc come in close...saw a pod of 4 last year very close; 1 big male and female and 2 smaller ones...it was fantastic! Sometimes they are close enough to see well from the office window.
U know, it's funny...I've been b**tching about the weather for a while, but I always take a breath and feel how lucky I am to be able to make a decent living and play in a place like this. I like POW...but I have been thinking about moving at least a bit further north...Petersburg, or farther...maybe Seward or Cordova...I enjoy true winters. And I used to dog-sled; I wouldn't mind volunteering for a dog racer again someday. Where do u live?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM

I am in Klawock for now but I'll be leaving around the first part of May.

Too bad you couldn't have seen the island before they clearcut it to pieces; it really was beautiful then.

Petersburg is nice; Seward sounds great...

lol--it's snowing and the sun is out at the same time.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 PM

LOL...yup, our weather is pretty weird, eh? This winter has been ROUGH!! I have been to a few places on the island where they haven't cut (or at least not for a long time) and it is beautiful. And I like the muskegs.

I guess one advantage is all the logging roads; if you drive around here long enough you can find some pretty amazing spots.
Good luck in your travels; hopefully u r staying in AK?? Cool that someone else on here is on the island.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Oh, I'll be staying in AK; I wouldn't know how to act outside any more.

This winter has actually been mild compared to what I am used to but...in another way it hasn't been. I miss the sun...one thing about 20 or 30 or more below, there's no cloud cover.

I seem to recall Petersburg as having a lot of brightly painted houses that look really cool against the mountains and the sea.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,894,942 times
Don't just sit there....feed me something! (Like I said...they were close...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/Eagle22.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,884,090 times
Nice shootin!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Yeah, last time I was outside was 2.5 years ago. I felt claustrophobic; the traffic and noise and chaos made me almost sick...I couldn't function very well! Ha, I used to like to go "clubbing" with my friends at night; now you couldn't drag me into one of those places. Although I still like shooting the bull with a few beers around a campfire...that's my idea of a party now. My friends back in MN wouldn't even know what to do with me. I'm happy this way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska