Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM

32 posts, read 104,835 times

Advertisements

Awesome Picture, GrammasCabin. Anybody else out there with photos of the Wrangell area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Back to the floathouse. That's not a riverbank it's tied to, it's the straits between Wrangell and Etolin islands. I'm not sure I could get away with just living anywhere anymore. I was always really careful not to leave anything in the woods or on the beach, everybody knew it was me and I was never bothered. Once the state put a note on a tree near the trail I made through the woods to the road but apparently my dog wouldn't let them get near the floathouse. I had to laugh at that one but they never came back again. Although the population in our area has decreased a lot, the "down south" rules have taken over up here with a vengence. Mine was the last of the live-where-you-want floathouses around here. My dog was the last of the bar dog's at the time too. When he died no more dogs were allowed in the bars, sad to say.
While I loved the free-floating life I have to admit to getting older. Packing propane, generator gas, groceries etc. up and down that trail, plowing through 5' of snow in winter to get up the trail, scrounging for firewood and all that good stuff just got to be a bit much.
When I bought this property, the last beachfront 13 miles from town on a rutted dirt logging road, no power or other "services" suited me just fine. With a little help from me friends I tucked the floathouse into the bank and with the generator to run the tools fixed up this cabin that had been abandoned for about 15 years. Now they've paved the road, brought electricity out here, formed a borough to include me in the city limits and they expect me to pay the same 12.75 mil rate property taxes as if I lived in town, even tho I still have to pack my water and use the outhouse.
I love my cabin, still have the floathouse, but the old brown dog died, the old brown truck died and I miss the good old days!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Back to the floathouse. That's not a riverbank it's tied to, it's the straits between Wrangell and Etolin islands. I'm not sure I could get away with just living anywhere anymore. I was always really careful not to leave anything in the woods or on the beach, everybody knew it was me and I was never bothered. Once the state put a note on a tree near the trail I made through the woods to the road but apparently my dog wouldn't let them get near the floathouse. I had to laugh at that one but they never came back again. Although the population in our area has decreased a lot, the "down south" rules have taken over up here with a vengence. Mine was the last of the live-where-you-want floathouses around here. My dog was the last of the bar dog's at the time too. When he died no more dogs were allowed in the bars, sad to say.
While I loved the free-floating life I have to admit to getting older. Packing propane, generator gas, groceries etc. up and down that trail, plowing through 5' of snow in winter to get up the trail, scrounging for firewood and all that good stuff just got to be a bit much.
When I bought this property, the last beachfront 13 miles from town on a rutted dirt logging road, no power or other "services" suited me just fine. With a little help from me friends I tucked the floathouse into the bank and with the generator to run the tools fixed up this cabin that had been abandoned for about 15 years. Now they've paved the road, brought electricity out here, formed a borough to include me in the city limits and they expect me to pay the same 12.75 mil rate property taxes as if I lived in town, even tho I still have to pack my water and use the outhouse.
I love my cabin, still have the floathouse, but the old brown dog died, the old brown truck died and I miss the good old days!
I hear you on the roughing it gets kind of old, but sounds like fun in the floathouse when you did it!!! and it's cute!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska