Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,744 times

Advertisements

Any former Montanans living in the SE area of Alaska and how do you like the difference? There's just getting to be too many people around here. Thinking about getting the heck out of Helena and possibly moving to Juneau. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made a similar move already.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,732,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsss327 View Post
Any former Montanans living in the SE area of Alaska and how do you like the difference? There's just getting to be too many people around here. Thinking about getting the heck out of Helena and possibly moving to Juneau. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made a similar move already.

Thanks!
I know a couple that I work with. One seems to like it alot, the other is getting ready to move back, but he's younger and that's where all his friends are.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:

Thanks!
As long as you bring enough cash with you in case things don't work-out, everything will be fine. Things can be quite expensive around here, so be prepared.

It would be a good idea to read the other posts relating to employment up here, and to having a "plan B."

Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Thank you both for your comments, it was very generous to share your time with me. Money is not really a concern, I think I am more concerned about how the two compare... I moved to MT from UT thinking I was getting away from "city snobbery", but I simply found a bunch more of it in MT, except with a lot more cavalier attitudes about drinking and drugs which seems to keep growing as the population creeps up. I guess I'm looking for a cleaner, fresher small town atmosphere with a couple of modern conveniences included (cell phone coverage and grocery store). Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I know a lot of younger people in Ketchikan that go to the university in Missoula. They always come home in the summer. Most of them come back after they graduate. You might try coming to Ketchikan this summer when jobs are plentiful and see how things work out.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Haha yes, point well taken- there is no information in the world to beat real experience.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your time.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM

56 posts, read 203,328 times
Default mt to ak

My husband and I moved to Kenai from Whitefish. Sure GNP was beautiful- but nothing -and I mean NOTHING compares to Alaska!! The coolest town on the Kenai Peninsula is def. Homer - absolutely breathtaking- but so small the only major employer is fishing and of course tourism so just a 1 and a half hour drive or so to visit Homer works! Juneau is incredible- but seems like government jobs are where it is at [besides fishing and tourism of course!!] The thing you need to think about is that in Juneau you are pretty much going to be staying in Juneau all winter - can't really take any weekend road trips!! Juneau is also considered more of a rainforest as far as climate so it sure is quite opposite of Helena!! But again, absolutely awe-some!!!!
The bottom line is that Alaska is a huge land with each area being EXTREMELY different from the next!!
The people... well I just can't describe how much nicer and calmer everyone is all over the Peninsula- Juneau would be very similar being that it is such a beautiful land!
I could go on and on about MT and AK. But I will stop there for now.....

Old 02-01-2009, 09:19 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:

Thanks!
can I tag on and ask about Petersburg? TIA

Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Petersburg is wonderful.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,580 times
I lived in Homer.
Small town - honest and still innocent for the most part.
Want to move back as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska