Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 PM

16 posts, read 147,878 times

Advertisements

This is in my town, and I am on the city council here...if anyone is interested or needs more info, you can contact me if you want.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259264,00.html

Alaska Town Giving Away Free Land
Friday , March 16, 2007

ADVERTISEMENTANCHORAGE, Alaska —

Anderson, a little town in Alaska's interior, has no gas station, no grocery store and no traffic lights, but it does have plenty of woodsy land — and it's free to anyone willing to put down roots in the often-frozen ground.Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 03-18-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 147,878 times
More info here at http://www.anderson.govoffice.com/

at the upper left hand corner click on Free Lots

Guidlines for excepting free land

GUIDELINES FOR FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

Applications will not be accepted until March 19th @ 9:00 am.

Applicants must start the line-up at the door at the top of the handicap access ramp.

1. Individual must be physically present in line at all times. Individuals are allowed to have an alternate stand in their place. Individual can only have one application and one spot in line.
2. There will be no sharing of spots in line.
3. If you have to leave your spot in line, you forfeit your place unless you have an alternate person that will stand in line for you.
4. Door will open at 9 am, city clerk’s office time.
5. As you enter the door, you will be given a number, based upon first come first served criteria.
6. You will proceed to the city clerk’s office based upon the first come first served criteria.
7. You must hand in your completed application to the city clerk with your $ 500.00 deposit.
8. You will be asked to select your unofficial lot preference at that time.
9. On March 26th you will select your official lot and enter into an agreement.

There will be a separate building for the applicants to use to warm up and use the restroom facilities.

The Anderson Clinic Building will be open at midnight.
The Anderson School will open at 5 AM.
Student Government students will be selling coffee, juice, small breakfast and baked goods @ 5 AM.

Please everyone, be considerate. Please respect our residents and community. The city will have staff available at midnight and the State Troopers will be also available.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Yes, it's for real: free land...and the lots are rather spacious at 1.3ac. Yes, there's a catch: you gotta actually move here and build a house on it. But not to worry, you get to keep the house. If you can find a better deal ANYWHERE else, I and a whole lot of others would like to hear it...
Any takers?

Bud

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I've got all the land I need. But it is tempting!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 41,004 times
I have always dreamed of Moving to Alaska, However will they ever do mail order applications It would be rather difficult for me to be there to stand in line If I could I would, and I would hate to miss out on such an opportunity.
Also how is the employment there ? what the main focus of work that can be applied for? and how far is the larger city where one might be able to obtain employment?
Thanks for any and all info
John

Old 03-17-2007, 12:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
It's about 15 miles from Clear Air Force Base, about 20 from Uisibelli Coal, and down the road from Nenana (small town). Has tourist shops for people visiting Denali National Park. Post Office, school. Nice place, not alot there. Probably as close as you can get to McKinley without climbing it.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM

30 posts, read 212,445 times
This is something I would be interested in, but how can someone from out of state apply if it's first come first served? That article was in my local paper today, but this was the first I had heard of it and now it is too late to mail an application. In the article it sounded like local people are applying to get the land, so will there be any left for people from out of state? Or is this mainly to get people from other areas of Alaska to move to this town? It's pretty hard to compete with people that are already up there to stand in line. Is the town going to be doing this again if it is successfull? Also, I need a high speed internet connection for my job - is it available in this area?

Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Click on his name (akvolffemt) and send him an e-mail. Might get you a quicker response.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:22 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times
Quote:
....but how can someone from out of state apply if it's first come first served?....
Probably have to go and buy a $1500 plane ticket to Fairbanks (nearest "big" town), then somehow get to Anderson from there.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM

43 posts, read 240,664 times
I just can't believe it!

It sounds like a dream. Everything sounded great until they said something about the grizzly bears. I visit adn everyday and when I saw that advertisement I couldnt wait to get to this site and ask you guys about it, Rance. Now I know it's true. Well, good luck to the ones luck enough to get one.

Mary

Last edited by wan2Batraveler10; 03-17-2007 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska