Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 AM

53 posts, read 121,544 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Since the elections I have decided I have to leave. I've been in a sort of limbo for about a year and I'm over it. I have wanted to move to Alaska since I visited in 1992 and again in 1993. I was in Anchorage during the winter with 5 feet of snow on the ground and I LOVED it. I was there in late April with sunlight until 11 pm and I loved it. The beauty of the place is absolutely amazing.

I was born and raised in Indianapolis. It is becoming so horrid here that I can NOT tolerate it anymore. I have 4 small kids and I want a different life for them. I have actually discussed the move with them and they are excited and curious. I have done as much research as I can on the net with still much more to do. I have tried to paint an accurate pic for them but you know you can never be prepared for the reality.

Currently I work as a RN in the "ghetto". I'm sick of taking care of those ppl. I do not worry about finding a job so much. My husband is in law enforcement and I have noted many security positions available in AK.

What I worry about is the housing. I have seen high price tags attached to homes large enough to accommodate my large family. I intend on renting for a year to get a feel for where I want to live. What I'm curious about is where should we rent? I have seen the north side of Anchorage is nice but expensive. Most other cost of living differences I believe will be offset by my income.

One last thing, how do we get there? lol Literally? I will be driving an RV with a trailer hauled behind. We are planning on a one month trip across country. Does the Ferry accommodate vehicles of this size? I figure semis get up there some way. Would we be better off going through Canada or do we have to go through Canada? This is the only area I can think of that I have a severe deficiency of knowledge.

I will be flying into Anchorage at the beginning of March to scout out the area. Who knows my memories may be faulty and I may hate it. Then again I may love it even more.

Saucy

P.S. Sorry for the mini book but I wanted to get the basics out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Once again, drive up!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Mid April is a fine time to make the drive. Those kids will see things in real time many will only get to see in pictures or books. Breathtaking scenery, critters etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 AM

94 posts, read 266,978 times
Sophia: Good luck to you and your family.

I must make one more comment: Your writing is flawless! A rare thing to see these days, and I commend you for it. Somebody has to maintain standards!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Hi Saucy -
We just did the trip in October. We drove to Bellingham, Wa, then took the Alaska ferry to Haines, AK which is a 4 day trip. Then drove Alaskan Highway 2 days from Haines, through Canada then back into Alaska.
Either way, you will need passports by next year. The ferry can accommodate all sorts of trucks/trailers, etc. as long as you book it early to reserve the space. You'll need to know what size the trailer is, they'll charge based on that. You can do a search on here for the Alaska Marine Highway to find the web link and other info.
Let us know when your March trip plans come together!
Dawn

Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Sorry - the passports will be needed next year for travel by ground into AK.....but not needed to fly in.
Dawn

Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 121,544 times
Default Thanks all for the support.

Hi,

I must admit to being a bit nervous but my resolve is much greater. I did start googling again after I posted that message and found the Alaskan ferry transport site. Good info. Took me a bit to locate the info I was looking for though regarding the rv. Thanks for the link.

Passports are an absolute must for all Americans these days. I have one but the kids and hubby still need to get one. That is already on my list of things to do.

The elections did play a deciding part in my decision to move. For the first time in 40 years Indianapolis went blue. That does not hold with my prolife views. I guess people will think I'm narrow-minded, but that issue is important enough for me to not want to live in a "blue" state.

I'm hoping to move to the Anchorage area, not necessarily in Anchorage just near it. I will spend the next month making an absolute decision. I don't want to rush into the move. January I'll be buying a plane ticket. January through February will be obtaining passports. March trip to Anchorage. While visiting I'll be attempting to secure a job, apartment and getting an AK nursing license. After the kids finish school we'll be on our way.

I will be more than happy to share all my successes and failures as I complete my to do list.

One more question, will 10,000 cash be enough to get us through the first couple of months? As we wait for our first paychecks I expect things to be a little stressful.

Saucy

P.S. Another book, oops. I never write so much.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,359 times
You will want to call the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry ) when you are able to determine the total length in feet of the rv and trailer combined...only then will you get the bad news on the cost on the ferry, especially from Bellingham Wa

The cost of your RV & trailer combined from Bellingham to Haines is $67.20 per foot...so lets just say the combined footage is 45'..the cost would be $3025.00...

Through April 30th the driver goes free

Adult Fare...Bellingham to Haines is $353

Children under 6 go free...age 6 to 11 go at 50% of the adult fare...over age 12 is adult fare

So...you could easily be looking at $3500+ on the ferry to Haines..

Couple options....catch the ferry at Prince Rupert BC instead...it takes a ton off the cost of the ferry and for you driving cross-country it is very easy to cross over into Canada and continue west and end up in Prince Rupert...at Rupert you can board the ferry with your final destination being Haines...from there its 750 miles to Anchorage

The best option....again cross over into Canada in your westerly drive and when you get to Prince George BC just simply head north to Whitehorse Yukon..from there its west to Haines Junction...from there its north to Anchorage 600 miles.....its all very good road from Prince George north and there are plenty of services all along that route...and the country will be something you'll never forget...

The cost savings will be huge if ya stay off the ferry system.....the ferry is very boring, especially with kids...3 full days from Bellingham to Haines...the rooms suck if you can afford one and the food service onboard is very costly also...you are not allowed to be on the car deck or use your RV while the ferry is underway...

Order a Milepost if you opt to drive....
The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

Also.....there is a poster here that did a similar trip to the Fairbanks area with vehicles and kids (megensmom). Its a good read...ran 56 pages

//www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/155927-given-home-central-ak-planning-moving.html

Old 11-08-2008, 02:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Yea, what Crunch said...

Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,359 times
Thanks Warp....any new pix today ?

Warp is the official route planner here in the Alaska section of CD....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska