Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times

Advertisements

Security does NOT want anyone wandering around. The pipeline is patrolled by truck and helicopter, and there are limited pullouts to just "wander". A stopped car along the Dalton would mean that every truck driver would be pulling over to find out what the problem might be. If you don't show up at your next scheduled stop at whichever PS your heading towards, security would be out looking for you, mainly worried about an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 PM

If I didn't mention it before, there is a spot on a little hill after Coldfoot, with a sign designating it as Gobbler's Knob. There is an apocryphal tale of a crew of enterprising (or is that entrepreneurs) "working girls" who set up in some campers up there during the construction days. Don't know how true, but ev eryone who drives the road will tell you about it. Take a pic of the sign, and you have a story.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 56,796 times
My friend and I drove the Dalton last weekend. We made it to milepost 281, just out of the Brooks Range. This was the first time I had been on it so I don't know what summer conditions are like but this time of year is great for driving it.

The speed limit is 50 the whole way up and it's easy to maintain that speed. The road is in very nice condition for a dirt road and parts of it are paved.

We did not check in to any pump stations on the drive and simply pulled off the road to sleep each night. There are lots of places to get out and hike or climb peaks along the way. At milepost 238 we pulled off and snowshoed up a minor peak near Atigun Pass. The truckers smiled and waved to us, they were not concerned about what we were doing.

All in all, the trip was just like driving any other highway, not nearly as regulated as people are making it sound. But I guess I can't speak for the tourist season.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 AM

70 posts, read 242,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscti View Post
My friend and I drove the Dalton last weekend. We made it to milepost 281, just out of the Brooks Range. This was the first time I had been on it so I don't know what summer conditions are like but this time of year is great for driving it.

The speed limit is 50 the whole way up and it's easy to maintain that speed. The road is in very nice condition for a dirt road and parts of it are paved.

We did not check in to any pump stations on the drive and simply pulled off the road to sleep each night. There are lots of places to get out and hike or climb peaks along the way. At milepost 238 we pulled off and snowshoed up a minor peak near Atigun Pass. The truckers smiled and waved to us, they were not concerned about what we were doing.

All in all, the trip was just like driving any other highway, not nearly as regulated as people are making it sound. But I guess I can't speak for the tourist season.

Very interesting. How about gas? Was it available and how much was it a gallon?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 56,796 times
Yep, there's gas in Coldfoot at mile 175. It has been $3.69/gallon of unleaded since April of last year

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM

64 posts, read 424,913 times
I just drove the Haul Road yesterday and today. There really isn't a whole lot to do along the road, and once you past Coldfoot... it gets more barren.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:05 PM

64 posts, read 424,913 times
One thing... the General Public doesn't have to check in at Pump Stations. The Road has been public for years now. If you're Alyeska or on Pipeline business, then it's a different story

Old 03-31-2007, 06:21 PM

My mistake, I've ALWAYS been on pipeline business and the security people have always been the ones enforcing all stops. For the erroneous information, I beg your pardon, as bad info is worse than none at all.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 68,710 times
I'm a tour guide on the Dalton Highway, so I'm on that road year-round. One of the most beautiful and soul-lifting journeys you can take, in my opinion. The road is typically in very decent shape, except right after rains, which are typically in May and June.

Hands-down, one of the best times to take it is the last week of August/1st week of September, when the tundra is in its fall colors. Nothing in the world like it. The downisde of this times is caribou bowhunting season on the north slope. Too many people, too many idiot hunters trying to pretend like they're Conan the Barbarian, wounding caribou and generally making a mess. This also brings out the bears, which like to feed on the gutpiles. In general, you're fine yearround, but in the winter, you have much much less of a margin of error. You screw up, your chances of dying increase exponentially. Also, no gas for 250 miles, and the cold robs your engine of mileage, so bring 5-10 extra gallons.

Most cars can handle the road, but 4wd makes it a lot easier. Subarus are great. If you have a CB, even better, monitor channel 19. SLOW DOWN and give approaching trucks a wide berth; but there's no need to pull completely off the road. Just put your turns signal on and drop your speed down and then you won't be hit with rocks.

There's a great guide put out by the BLM which you can get in downtown fairbanks, hilltop truckstop at 12mile Elliott Hwy, the Yukon River crossing, and Coldfoot.

If you're camping, don't bother staying at Coldfoot. There's a great BLM-run site at Marion Creek, 7 miles north of Coldfoot, best campsite I've seen. There's another site at the Arctic Circle, but it isn't as nice. You can get from Fairbanks to Coldfoot in an easy 8 hours, Coldfoot to Deadhorse in 10. Pump stations won't help you unless you're dying, don't bug 'em. Truckers might stop to help you with a flat, but don't bank on it. Bring a couple pre-mounted spares, and keep the speed down. I've only had three blowouts and I've driven the road several hundred times. If you want to sleep in a bed, be prepared to pay. Lodging is available at the Yukon, Coldfoot, and Deadhorse, expect to spend $130-$180 a night for bare-bones accomodations in mobile trailer units. Bring bug dope, and if you're sleeping in a tent, particularly from the Brooks Range north, being an eyemask and a firearm. The number one thing you need to bring is some serious common sense and you'll do just dandy. Best of luck, it's one of those once-in-a-lifetime experience. Any other questions, please ask.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,587 times
I'm considering driving the Dalton with a couple friends this month. Problem is, I'm going to be driving my dad's vehicle, which is a Jeep Cherokee in pretty nice condition. My concern is road conditions and will this road beat the crud out of our vehicle?

I'm mainly worried about trucks throwing gravel into headlights, windshields, and dinging up the paint. Does that happen a lot?

Also, I'm a little concerned about going 50 and hitting potholes or frost heaves and ruining the shocks or something.

I'm actually wondering if we should skip this road and spend our time elsewhere, but it really sounds like a great trip. Can anyone give me more info about road conditions? Is it unwise to take a nice vehicle on the road?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska