Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but if you need it, ya got it with you. It would really suck to be in a bad place and not have the gear to make it through the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,531 times
If you're going to be in Fairbanks just stop by Big Rays when they are having their annual Tent Sale in mid-September. They will set you up with everything you need.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Yeah, but if you need it, ya got it with you. It would really suck to be in a bad place and not have the gear to make it through the night.
No question, the increased safety factor is well worth the hassle slugging that extra bag around. I also think this policy had a lot to do with the reason Alaska allows three checked bags at no charge for in-state travel.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 43,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
If you're going to be in Fairbanks just stop by Big Rays when they are having their annual Tent Sale in mid-September. They will set you up with everything you need.
Annual tent sell uh. That is excellent info. So I have the bunny, Sorel, with specific brands to consider and bafin.

I'm leaning towards the sorels but I will need to try them on, at least I can do some research until I buy them. I like knowing what Im looking for before walking into a store.

Im still a little unsure what temp rating will suit me. This seems like a trial and error process so I'm a little worried about this.

Yall have been incredibly helpful and I appreciate the guidance

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfly View Post
Im still a little unsure what temp rating will suit me. This seems like a trial and error process so I'm a little worried about this.
Well get ready for -60 and everything else will be a cakewalk... IF you are hot, you can take off layers, if you are cold, you are still cold....

Plan on carrying extra gear in the car/truck in the event that you break down or get stuck in the cold. Having a couple of sleeping bags as a last resort isn't a bad deal either.

I carry road flares with me in the car, airplane and snowmachine in the event that I break down. In an emergency and you are cold, you can't lite a match or lighter to save your life, but you can always lite a road flare and get a fire started with it... even if it is your car, they burn pretty nice and put off a lot of heat, just don't stand in the smoke... It is kinda toxic, but in an emergency, the heat can save your life.

If you go with Sorrel or Bafin boots, buy an extra set of felt liners and two sets of felt insoles to put in the bottom of both sets. After a full day of being outside, you will find that they normally get wet with sweat and as they get wetter, they lose their ability to retain heat, your feet will get numb and ache before you don't feel them anymore. It takes a while to the liners dry out, where the bunny boots are rubber over the insulation and stay warm even if your feet are soaked in sweat, you carry extra socks for them.

IF you are going with the felt liner boots, it is good to have thick wool socks (there are some wool/polypropylene that are good too) and sometimes if I am going to be out for all day in the cold, I will put plastic bags on my feet to keep the felt liners dry and only have to change socks now and then when working.

Regardless, if you plan on coming to Alaska in the summer, you have plenty of time to get the proper gear and advice from the locals before you get here. Lots of the really expensive stuff at the high end stores looks great and stylish, but you will regret buying it when a piece of the right clothing is going to be much more practical at keeping you warm from a company that sells real Arctic Gear.

Besides, will never see Michael Jordan jumping in a pair of real Bunny Boots... They are warm, not "Cool".....

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If you are reporting in August, don't sweat it. You will have plenty of time to buy/find the proper boots when you get here. You aren't going to find anything in Texas that will work as an "Arctic" boot...

So enjoy the trip up and don't worry about the weather stuff until you get here.
agreed, when you get here, ASK people what to buy.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
If you do a lot of backpacking or skiing or any strenuous outdoor activities, a vapor barrier next to your inner layer can help keep the outer layers dry.

Details products (http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=310 - broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
This gal has it down on layering...

Up in Alaska: The armor

Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM

153 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfly View Post
I like knowing what Im looking for before walking into a store.
Me too. I don't carry product info & ratings around with me (yet... ) so I like to do a lot of research before I go buying (possibly) spendy things.

Same with if I'm moving or travelling somewhere... if I research it a whole bunch, then I can have a loose plan to follow and it makes it easier to deviate from the plan if I want to.

Shan

Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 AM

153 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
This gal has it down on layering...

Up in Alaska: The armor

Dear lord she's inspiring.

I think I have a crush. <3

Shan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: