Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,455,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Lyuty...I am having trouble finding a map that shows where in Russia the Olympics are going to be held....town called "sochi zoly"....wondering how far from Alaska and what the flight would be to get there???
Hi Bonnie! In addition to my above I'd like to say that your "... zoly" is not a word as name of town but the year 2014 when the next winter Olympics are going to be held in Russia. Hence, it's need to read "Sochi 2014".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The weirdest thing is trying to get my internal compass oriented. It's bad overcast and it's hard to tell which way is northsoutheastwest! It's really weird! I may very well be in sensory overload. Never seem to have this problem in Alaska.
That was the hard thing for me when we moved up here. There are still times where I get a bit twisted around.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
I just tried using it from the airport here to the hotel. Kept telling me the address couldn't be found. Fortunately I wrote all the street names down during the cab ride to the airport! Even after I changed to the proper state location. I should have nothing but fun trying to find my way into Pennsylvania!
Rance if you remember we tried to find your bank with my Garmin in Anchorage and it insisted there were two branches a mile away when we were sitting in the parking lot of your bank. It simply doesn't have everything in its memory so on occasion it will not know where something is. That said it always knows where it is but you have to identify what is near you such as road names and intersections. Main thing is to put it where it gets a good view of the sky so it can find the satellites. The biggest thing I found that did help was to read the instructions. That helped me a lot.
Have a good time whenever you can. Those hills are mountains to someone who has never seen anything taller. I know coming from Florida driving through that area on the way to Ithaca way back when I thought they were really something special.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Blue, have you tried the address posted all over the closing ceremony of these Olympics?
sochi2014.ru ?
Of course this is not an independent source, but still you should look at it.
If you followed the World news than surely you know of the military conflict Georgia had with Russia. Sochi is right next to that region. In fact, Putin turned to Bush and said: "It has begun", when Beijng Summer Olympics started.
China being the host of Summer Olympics was a big controversy as human rights etc. are still questionable there. I'm sure such issues will hang over Russia's Winter Olympics in 2014.
I have to say, this year's games were so enjoyable. What a show of sportsmanship!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
Quote:
It's surrounded by large hills (the locals call them mountains!) covered in what appears to be oak and maples with a few pines. Totally out of my element!
Yeah....they'll call 'em mountains there......just let them be. No need to burst their illusions They just don't know better...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Hi Bonnie! In addition to my above I'd like to say that your "... zoly" is not a word as name of town but the year 2014 when the next winter Olympics are going to be held in Russia. Hence, it's need to read "Sochi 2014".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Blue, have you tried the address posted all over the closing ceremony of these Olympics?
sochi2014.ru ?
Of course this is not an independent source, but still you should look at it.
If you followed the World news than surely you know of the military conflict Georgia had with Russia. Sochi is right next to that region. In fact, Putin turned to Bush and said: "It has begun", when Beijng Summer Olympics started.
China being the host of Summer Olympics was a big controversy as human rights etc. are still questionable there. I'm sure such issues will hang over Russia's Winter Olympics in 2014.
I have to say, this year's games were so enjoyable. What a show of sportsmanship!
thank you and I will be checking it out!!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Well boys and girls...I'm off to northcentral Pennsylvania to find my rig. The folks at the office were kind enough to load all the drillsite locations to the Garmin for me. So it shouldn't be too bad a trip.
I've bitten off a large chunk. Just hope I can chew it! Things are definately done a little different here than on the north slope. Drilling in peoples back yards is nothing I've ever done before.

I might be off the webernet for a few days. I'll check in as I can. Have a nice day!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Well boys and girls...I'm off to northcentral Pennsylvania to find my rig. The folks at the office were kind enough to load all the drillsite locations to the Garmin for me. So it shouldn't be too bad a trip.
I've bitten off a large chunk. Just hope I can chew it! Things are definately done a little different here than on the north slope. Drilling in peoples back yards is nothing I've ever done before.

I might be off the webernet for a few days. I'll check in as I can. Have a nice day!
Best of luck!!! needs a laptop now!!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
Hey Bonnie/Blue (my god I'm having a Gone with the Wind moment!)

Have you tried this for Olympic sites:

Sochi 2014
Sochi 2014

London 2012
London 2012

Olympics (overall IOC site)
Welcome to the website of the Olympic Movement - Olympic.org

And if really going to the future Rio 2016
Rio 2016 (http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Hey JerseyKat....wow you just made that simple for me!!! thanks for all the sites....saved off and will check them out definitely!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska