Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,131 times

Advertisements

Has there been any case here in the Alaska forum of stalking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 04:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Has there been any case here in the Alaska forum of stalking?
Quite some time ago, a woman came on here posting about someone she said she "knew" from an internet dating site and wanted info on him. I actually know the guy in real life so she and I sent a few messages back and forth. I had a strange feeling about it; she asked me questions about him that if he didn't tell her himself, he probably had a good reason. Basically she was trying to find out if he had money, so I ended our contact.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Quite some time ago, a woman came on here posting about someone she said she "knew" from an internet dating site and wanted info on him. I actually know the guy in real life so she and I sent a few messages back and forth. I had a strange feeling about it; she asked me questions about him that if he didn't tell her himself, he probably had a good reason. Basically she was trying to find out if he had money, so I ended our contact.
Pretty sad, but just about everyone has more on the interent than they think. Just doing a google of your name will come up with a lot of hits, both yours and others with the same name or that stole yours...

Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I got a rep point message yesterday stating for GG, HL and others with a link for another board...Mod Cut I am a little leary of even clicking on this?
I clicked on it and it took me to another forum that is looking for new members. But I didn't go into any of the sites there and didn't allow the cookies to be enabled.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Pretty sad, but just about everyone has more on the interent than they think. Just doing a google of your name will come up with a lot of hits, both yours and others with the same name or that stole yours...

Not mine

Not one thing. There's a lot of Quaker sites that come up though, when I google my name.

I know that you'll show up in Google white pages if you have a listed telephone number, but there is a way to remove that, some sort of form you can fill out.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I clicked on it and it took me to another forum that is looking for new members. But I didn't go into any of the sites there and didn't allow the cookies to be enabled.

Can not allowing cookies to be enabled prevent malicious code from getting in?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not mine

Not one thing. There's a lot of Quaker sites that come up though, when I google my name.

I know that you'll show up in Google white pages if you have a listed telephone number, but there is a way to remove that, some sort of form you can fill out.
Problem is that if you have an email address, phone, or a host of other sources, the companies will sell them to marketeers, and that is where the spam comes from.

People will hit the button that says "Hit the remove button to be removed from this mailing", don't do it, what that does is tells them that it is a good email address and in turn, they will sell that as well.

But your personal info has been sold out over and over on the web, and most of us don't have a clue to where or how. That is why it is so easy to track someone down with very little effort.

The guy that made the posts claiming all sorts of stuff on a lodge up North, I tracked him in about twenty min's to his home address in FL, got his name and all the other oddities about him. He was a former family "friend" of the owners and had a falling out with them and was out to cause them as much pain as possible, he seems to lose interest now that he isn't anonymous any more.

I am not computer savvy, but there are those that can track you down by the IP address and a host of other roads to find out who and where you are.

Kinda like people moving to the Alaska Wilderness thinking they are going to be anonymous, but in reality, everyone knows who they are within a hundred miles and they can't figure out why...

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Problem is that if you have an email address, phone, or a host of other sources, the companies will sell them to marketeers, and that is where the spam comes from.

People will hit the button that says "Hit the remove button to be removed from this mailing", don't do it, what that does is tells them that it is a good email address and in turn, they will sell that as well.

But your personal info has been sold out over and over on the web, and most of us don't have a clue to where or how. That is why it is so easy to track someone down with very little effort.

The guy that made the posts claiming all sorts of stuff on a lodge up North, I tracked him in about twenty min's to his home address in FL, got his name and all the other oddities about him. He was a former family "friend" of the owners and had a falling out with them and was out to cause them as much pain as possible, he seems to lose interest now that he isn't anonymous any more.

I am not computer savvy, but there are those that can track you down by the IP address and a host of other roads to find out who and where you are.

Kinda like people moving to the Alaska Wilderness thinking they are going to be anonymous, but in reality, everyone knows who they are within a hundred miles and they can't figure out why...
I was wondering what happened to that guy. So it was a personal vendetta after all.

Tracing an IP address isn't difficult if you know how, but you have to have the headers in order to do so properly. For instance, the entire town of Skagway who uses Alaska Power and Telephone internet has the same IP address.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:57 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Please check your credit card charges....yesterday for the first time the credit card company called my early a.m. to ask about a questionable charge. The charge was from WCbilling.com....you can google it...the charge was for $4.99 and apparently it was from clicking on a site and you do not know that by doing so you are signing up for membership. The only site I have clicked on is in this forum to the one referred to in previous posts. No one else uses my computer.
Not sure it was this site but the tip off to the credit card company was that they had the wrong expiration date for the card. I cancelled the card with no problem. Do check!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Please check your credit card charges....yesterday for the first time the credit card company called my early a.m. to ask about a questionable charge. The charge was from WCbilling.com....you can google it...the charge was for $4.99 and apparently it was from clicking on a site and you do not know that by doing so you are signing up for membership. The only site I have clicked on is in this forum to the one referred to in previous posts. No one else uses my computer.
Not sure it was this site but the tip off to the credit card company was that they had the wrong expiration date for the card. I cancelled the card with no problem. Do check!!!
Wow, thanks, never thought of that. That is just bizarre...but how would they get your credit card number in the first place? I'm on a new laptop with no information like that on it at all, not even my paypal account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska