Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I'm a decent shot, but a .223 is a little light and I'm not Dan'l Boone. Decent shot translates as "probably dead" when you're dealing with an animal as large as a bear, and my luck, when it comes to an eyeball shot, is not something I would care to rely on.
I agree. It is very light. To drop any large game you want at least 2,000 foot pounds of energy. The largest .223 round is 77 grains, with a velocity of 2,750 FPS (Remington Sierra MatchKing), giving it only 1,293 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

A 175 grain .308 (Winchester Match HP) has a velocity of 2,600 FPS, which gives it 2,627 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

A 180 grain .30-06 (Winchester Match HP) has a velocity of 2,700 FPS, or 2,910 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Even at 200 yards the round will still be traveling at 2,250 FPS and have 2,020 foot pounds of energy.

A 190 grain 300 Win Mag. (Winchester Match HP) has a velocity of 2,950 FPS, which gives it 3,672 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM

65 posts, read 268,518 times
I am liking my 30-06 every day. Thanks so much for the input. As for sidearms still not sure but thinking .45 is right for me, don't have the best
Rt wrist in the world and much bigger might just put me in surgery.... Not really but some listed are pretty hefty, which might not be bad when a "brown" is walking your way!

Can't wait to move!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM

65 posts, read 268,518 times
Starting date in Anchorage is 15JUL09. So should get in some fishing and possibly so hunting this year!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Getting back to heavy game - assuming you hunt well and get close, and shoot well, not just in terms of small groups but that you a) know what part of the animal to aim at and b) can hit consistently within say 2-3 inches of your intended point of aim - IMHO bullet weight and bullet construction are more important than velocity. Someone mentioned "hot loading" the '06. Well, yes and no - the '06 is loaded by the factories to a bit lower pressure than say a 270, and you *can* upload the 06 to the same pressure as a 270 in modern (I mean less than say 80 years old!) particularly bolt-action rifles. But, I wouldn't go past that, I'd rather have a good-shooting load that will not overstress the brass so it extracts and ejects with no problems than an extra couple hundred feet of velocity.

As Uncle Jeff said, work that bolt vigorously, practice that, and get in the habit of getting back on target "before your empty hits the ground". You do not need to take a bolt gun from your shoulder to work the bolt. Try it, you'll like it!

And, although it's fun to BS about rifles, keep in mind the truth of the old adage "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!" Adjusting the loose nut behind the scope is where you will get the biggest performance increase. That has certainly been true for me!

Also keep in mind the old Indian guide aphorism: "Bang - meat. Bang, bang, - meat maybe. Bang, bang, bang, - beans with no meat again tonight!"

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Also keep in mind the old Indian guide aphorism: "Bang - meat. Bang, bang, - meat maybe. Bang, bang, bang, - beans with no meat again tonight!"

LOL...boy, does that comment ever ring true. I once watched a friend shoot 20 rounds from his 270 Winchester at a fleeing mountain goat some 120 yards or so distant. After the 20th consecutive miss, my friend turned to me, and with a sad wail to his voice, said "I'm out of shells!"
I jacked a shell into the chamber of my 30-06, took aim, and dropped his goat. Later, when we had a chance, we checked the "sight in" of his rifle. It was perfect: about an inch and a half high at 100 yards.
I think he needs to do a little more target practice.

Bud

Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
Get a 7mm mag great gun for moose and bear, it has the power of a 30-06 and shoots straight like a 270. Great gun i have a 7mm mag browning A-bolt, shot alot of elk and a few bear, Great gun.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 10,249 times
I am also moving to AK(Wainwright) during the summer of next year, i am in the Army and being a south Louisiana native i love to hunt, and have been doing alot of research on Rifles and calibers. I currently have a Rem 7400 .308 and .45ACP SIG from all the reading i have done looks like i am getting a new rifle and pistol. any suggestions please email at darrin.a.gautreaux@us.army.mil

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsoldier69 View Post
I am also moving to AK(Wainwright) during the summer of next year, i am in the Army and being a south Louisiana native i love to hunt, and have been doing alot of research on Rifles and calibers. I currently have a Rem 7400 .308 and .45ACP SIG from all the reading i have done looks like i am getting a new rifle and pistol. any suggestions please email at darrin.a.gautreaux@us.army.mil
Why do you think you need another rifle and pistol? Your Remington is big enough to drop moose or caribou. You are also not going to run into any brown bears at Fort Wainwright. In the event you do run into a grizzly, I would only recommend using a pistol as backup. Even if your handgun was a .454 Casull or .50 Action Express, I would still not use it except as a last resort. Your Remington has more stopping power (foot pounds of energy) than the largest handgun. Unless you have special hot loads made, no revolver or pistol will ever exceed 1,600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, and unless the bear is within 50 feet or so, you are more likely to miss with a handgun than with a rifle. Your Remington .308 has better than 2,600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsoldier69 View Post
Your .308 will be fine for moose and caribou. Besides, you will be in training, or overseas so often that there will be little time to hunt

Anyway, your .45 will be fine for field carry with ball ammo (not defense ammo). Yes, there are better choices, but a .45 would be a lot better than a .22 pistol.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,249 times
Thanks very much for the info and hopefully i wont be coming back over seas anytime soon and will be able to catch up on hunting that as a louisianain would only get to do once in a lifetime for me. Thanks again. I have only one question about the auto 308 do you think it will have a problem freezing up in cold weather I have hunting in 26 degree weather in the rain had no problems, but i know it get much colder there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska