Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 27,400 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are many lodges on prince of Whales island? Are there any lodges for sale, my dream is to own one.
Thnaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Yes, there are quite a few lodges here (I'm assuming you mean hunting/fishing resort-type lodges or B&Bs). And yes, they do come up for sale occasionally. But be forwarned...they are mucho expensive to operate. I have some experience with this. Goods and services are very expensive, not to mention operating costs. The more complex you get (boats, outfitting, etc.), the more up-front capitol you'll need. The most important part is the permitting...as a lodge owner, if you are even going to suggest hunting/fishing areas for your guests to travel to, and certainly if you transport them, you MUST have the proper special use permits from federal and state agencies. And if you violate...you will probably be caught somewhere down the line; this just happened to rather a prominent lodge-owner/guide here and he lost his business, probably forever, as he will not be able to be legally permitted for guiding again. Sometimes lodges for sale don't even make the real estate ads...it's a word-of-mouth thing. But try checking the web anyway. And check often. want more info, PM me if you like.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 PM

366 posts, read 386,819 times
I think you should start a floating lodge rather along the lines of Salvor's floating flea market.

Or start a lodge farther north and cater to those people who want to conceive under the northern lights. That's become sort of the it in some countries and you won't have to take them out hunting or anything, just give them a room key and leave them to themselves.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
LOL...Rainy, is that northern lights thing for real???? Wow. I am leading a sheltered life

Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Yeah... among some young Asians these days, it's the trend du jour, something about someone conceived under the Northern Lights having an exceedingly blessed life. Maybe later I'll google it and see if I can find some linkies to info on it; right now I really don't want anyone looking over my shoulder while I'm googling something like "Asian fornication under the Northern Lights".

But yes...quite the truth. If we had Northern Lights down here to any extent I'd start a floating conception lodge as a winter enterprise.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I googled it real quick and found this; sort of explains it a little--although they're talking about Finland and not Alaska--it was all I could find in a hurry.

Northern Lights and glass igloos attract honeymoon couple from Singapore to Lapland
print this
By Jaakko Tahkolahti in Inari, Northern Lapland

"We had a comfortable night, and the igloo was warm, but unfortunately the sky was overcast and we didn't get to see the Northern Lights."
Pearline Tong Beng Hoon, 27, and Henry Foo Wee Loong, 30, from Singapore, sigh at the hard-hearted nature of the weather-gods after enjoying a night in a glass igloo at Hotel Kakslauttanen, not far from the Saariselkä ski-resort in the municipality of Inari, Northern Lapland.
The couple, spending their honeymoon in Finnish Lapland, have come specifically to Kakslauttanen, attracted by the glass igloo bedrooms and the chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis up close and personal.

However, they are unaware of the Japanese myths surrounding the Northern Lights, namely that a child conceived while the Aurora are playing overhead would be born under an extremely fortunate sign.
This belief has brought large numbers of Japanese tourists to Lapalnd, and also to the glass igloos of Kakslauttanen.
"Who-hoo! Well, if that's so, then we'll have to try, too!" laugh the couple.

Superstitions notwithstanding, the exotic spectacle of the Northern Lights ultimately draws more people from other countries than it does Japanese tourists.
"Japanese visitors only account for two or three percent of our guests", says Hotel Kakslauttanen managing director Jussi Eiramo. "We get a lot of Swiss people, as well as a good many French, Italian, Spanish, and British visitors. Recently we have also noticed that the Americans have dared to do more travelling abroad."

Eiramo has built an igloo village with 20 snow or glass igloos and claims that the venture is quite unique.
The construction of each of the igloos, which are around four metres in diameter, has cost roughly EUR 60,000.
They contain a lot of advanced technological solutions, including independent ventilation systems, heated panes of glass on the domed roof, and motorised electric beds.

Pearline and Henry say they wanted to do something for their honeymoon that was "completely different" from what they were used to back home in Singapore.
"I didn't want to go to the traditional places in Europe, like Paris, Rome, or London", says Henry.
He reports that finding exotic destinations was no easy task in Singapore.
"We had to surf the Net for months, but eventually our entire three-week tour was built around Finnish Lapland."

The couple came to Kakslauttanen after Christmas from Kemi, where among other things they went on an Arctic icebreaker cruise in the Gulf of Bothnia. From Kakslauttanen they will be going to Saariselkä for a couple of days, and from there back to Kemi to spend a night in the Lumilinna snow-hotel.
They will be heading home via Rovaniemi after Twelfth Night.
Both say the experience has been great. The most fascinating aspects have been the milky winter twilight of kaamos, the frost, snow, Santa Claus, and the night in the glass igloo.

"Last night the sky was clear and the stars were out, but even so we did not get to see the Northern Lights", says Pearline. "If my wife is happy, then so am I", adds Henry.
Jussi Eiramo promises that the forecast for the coming night is for more clear skies and perhaps a sighting of the Aurora.
"Then I think we'll be going to the igloo for another night", plans Henry.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Next time I get married I wanna try that!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM

145 posts, read 570,495 times
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/travel/escapes/02Alaska.html?ex=1330491600&en=8f98a3e463237ed0&ei =5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss (broken link)

Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM

http://www.redarrow.ca/media/pdfs/arrows_edge_1.pdf (broken link)

You can find just as much on google that give a different perspective, Magoon.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Default Lodges for sale in Alaska

A Really good spot to look for lodges and any type of property go to [url=http://www.liveyourdreamalaska.com]Live Your Dream Alaska[/url] they have some exellent reading and properties they advertise for people selling with -out a real estate broker, this gives them alot more wiggle room on pricing not having to pay the Broker thousands off the top of the sale. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska